Biggest Challenge in Moving to Mexico

Looking for some feedback: What was your biggest challenge in the process of relocating/moving to Mexico? How did you solve it? What worked/didn't work? Please comment on this thread or private message me if you don't want to post a public comment. Thanks in advance ;-)

We have not got there yet but working on it.  Would love suggestions, ideas.  So far my biggest worry is getting my larger dog and cat there but I sure there is more

Well, DDfleming,

That was seven years ago, but what I can clearly recall is trying to find the routes we thought we had so carefully mapped. The GPS we were using was pretty much clueless when we left the U.S. We solved that by looking at maps and asking for help. That taught me that everyone feels they need to give you directions but only a few actually know how to get there. We quickly learned that taxis and gas stations were the best sources of information even if you are not fluent in Spanish.

In the U.S. there are numerous signs directing you to your exit. Forget that in Mexico. There may be a brief sign and you see it or you don't, or you are going the correct direction but your destination is not on the hwy sign. Always allow for more time than you think because roads have potholes, and speed bumps, always take the toll roads, and never drive at night.

Can you please give your reasons for not driving at night?

thanks for the useful tips.  We already had heard do not drive at night.  Any ideas on how to tell if a hotel will take dogs?

paullad :

Can you please give your reasons for not driving at night?

sure

the streets, for the most part, are not light well, if, at all, people walk on and in the streets and can not be seen in the dark. People who may have been drinking walk on or lay in the streets. Large potholes and speed bumps which are hard to see during the day are impossible to see at night. Signs are very hard or impossible to see at night.  Plus people who may not have the best of intentions often travel at night in just about every country in the world.  So be safely tucked into a hotel after the sun goes down and it will be a much safer better trip.

janalea :

thanks for the useful tips.  We already had heard do not drive at night.  Any ideas on how to tell if a hotel will take dogs?

You can search with a site like Booking.com using the pet search criteria,

Someone else suggested using the hotels that list as very private adult hotels. I don't recommend that idea at all. An area, where prostitution is discreetly practiced, is usually not a very safe area.

You shouldn't drive at night because the lighting isn't good in a lot of places and you can encounter people - kidsand adults, and pigs, goats, dogs and lots of other things in the road.  You are in big trouble if you hit something and even bigger trouble if you kill it. Limit your driving to daylight hours.

Hi, i was reading about the condition of you and yoir husband and it capted my attention the bussines that allowes you to handle.it or work it trhough your phone and internet, would you be kind to explaine that to me??, best regards.

Chrisbarraza :

Hi, i was reading about the condition of you and yoir husband and it capted my attention the bussines that allowes you to handle.it or work it trhough your phone and internet, would you be kind to explaine that to me??, best regards.

Hello Chrisbarraza,

I don't know what post you are talking about or what you are asking,  I couldn't find any post that matched the words you are using.Could you try again?
What is your native language?

Biggest challenge: getting over the inertia  and making the decision to DO IT!