Motorcycle registration

I want to buy a new motorcycle here in Cebu but I have been told that I would have to wait 2 months for registration to go through. I am desperate to get some form of transport and 2 months seems like a lot of bureaucratic red tape. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone have any solutions/ contacts that can work around this problem? I believe that there is always a way to speed things up if necessary ;)

Do you know of a cheap/ reliable motorcycle rental company near South Road Properties and SM Seaside?

Also would need to convert my foreign license to a Ph license. I have read the website and know the procedure but has anyone done this recently and can help with tips and how to make the process as least painful as possible?

Thanks in advance for the help !!

You can buy a plate that says for registration and just keep your documentation with you wherever you go. I have bought 3 bikes and a truck here with no problems.

Right..  you can still ride it. I think it took 3-4 months to get the reg completed for my Kawasaki 650. At that time they were way behind on the plates. I rode it all over - took it to other islands, etc. Haha, it's more fun here.

Hi,
I tried to get a Philippine license based on my UK version. They refused to do unless I can prove I have a visa or equivalent that proves I will be here for at least another 12 months. I currently have a tourist visa and the longest extension I can get is 6 months. Apart from getting an SRRV (retirement visa) is there any other way?

You have a registration but no insurance.
So good luck when you get into a accident. Just saying.

Most new bike purchases from places like motortrade include 2-3 years of insurance.

Thanks Gordy, PNW and Mike. I thought I was leaving a corrupt country behind when I left SA and yes I did but little did I know...lol. I read on another forum that the law states that registration needs to be done within 7 days. Does that actually apply? Ok so I can go and get my new bike and ride it around with a temp " for registration" plate and I will be 'legal'?
Mike I have no idea about the license conversion except that is costs close to PhP 900 and need proof of current license in English, Passport, Some formal document filled in and payment. Got no idea how long that will take but I do know that 90 days on foreign license is the limit.

By the looks of things, not many people have been hassled at check points but Murphy likes me :) I am working and have temp permits so everything above the law but I would like to stay that way.

PNW where did you buy your bike from? I am looking at a Honda XR150L as I would like to explore around the island. I am not a 'biker' though and will def be a noob to bikes and last time I rode a motorcycle was at school. I guess bicycles do not count as a 'biker' rider ;) But I do look forward to learning the lingo and how to ride well ;)

Dreal1 :

You have a registration but no insurance.
So good luck when you get into a accident. Just saying.

That is exactly why I want to stay within the law. Where does one get comprehensive insurance from? I honestly am not keen to push too many boundaries and will definitely take out comprehensive insurance if I could find a reputable company.

I use Standard Insurance here in Iloilo City.
I have a Yamaha155cc  NMax. I paid 6k for full insurance for one year. The biggest cost for the insurance is the theft. 3.9k
You need to get an immision test done before re-registrating your bike. Here in Iloilo City there are accredited government stations. I think it cost me 600p to get my bike checked. And for a fee they will take care of getting the registration done also.

gordy5938 :

Most new bike purchases from places like motortrade include 2-3 years of insurance.

Correct, and I also added higher coverage from the broker who insures our car. It wasn't a problem.

Global, I bought mine from Emcor in Mandaue. They have all the brands and sizes. Easy to deal with. I have purchased two motorcycles from them - a Kawasaki 650 and a Kawasaki Rouser 200NS. I hope I can post that info on here. If it gets scrubbed I will send you a PM.

pnwcyclist :

Global, I bought mine from Emcor in Mandaue. They have all the brands and sizes. Easy to deal with. I have purchased two motorcycles from them - a Kawasaki 650 and a Kawasaki Rouser 200NS. I hope I can post that info on here. If it gets scrubbed I will send you a PM.

Thanks PNW. I bought my bike today from Honda Big Bikes in IT Park. After the front desk said they could not do the registration any quicker than 2 months I requested to speak to manager and said I wanted to buy a bike today. She was very pleasant indeed and said she could probably get registration done in 3-4 weeks ,so I took the deal. The price was good plus they throw in a few extras that I am not complaining about.

Now I would like comprehensive insurance. The dealership  does include the basic  LTW insurance with the bike but I believe as a foreigner we can never be too careful. So any ideas on insurance companies?

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Dreal1 :

I use Standard Insurance here in Iloilo City.
I have a Yamaha155cc  NMax. I paid 6k for full insurance for one year. The biggest cost for the insurance is the theft. 3.9k
You need to get an immision test done before re-registrating your bike. Here in Iloilo City there are accredited government stations. I think it cost me 600p to get my bike checked. And for a fee they will take care of getting the registration done also.

Thanks Dreal. Surely a new bike would not need an emission test? The insurance sounds good and yes I do want theft insurance too which I believe is included for comprehensive plan? The dealership would not release all paperwork and insisted they do the registration and hence I got the manager involved to try gey it done quicker than 2 months which she said she would. I can collect the bike soon and will probably ride around my area but definitly stay off major roads and avoid the city for now until I get the registration certificate.

Hi Global,
Great news! Thats a nice dealer, I've been in there and pass it regularly.  I sent you a PM with the name and contact info of my insurance broker here in Cebu. She also put me with Standard Insurance.

You don't need any emissions testing yet. Ride safe.

Cheers,
PNW

I didn’t mean you needed a emission test now I said when you (re-register) meaning next year.

Dreal1 :

I didn’t mean you needed a emission test now I said when you (re-register) meaning next year.

Thanks Dreal. Honestly nothing surprises me in this country. The amount of beurocracy is crippling.

Hello all
Anyone had any experience with electric bikes/trikes regarding dealers and reg, insurance etc. especially in Cebu.
regards  Bruce

GoDees :

Hello all
Anyone had any experience with electric bikes/trikes regarding dealers and reg, insurance etc. especially in Cebu.
regards  Bruce

Hi Bruce
No experience with electric bikes ever... Registration is a nightmare as you can read above. After speaking to the manager, she said 3-4 week is best she can do vs 2 months they originally told me. Now a case of waiting to see if she was being honest about the timeframe or just trying to push a sale. I am sure they can do it in a lot less, like within 7 days, but welcome to Philippines as everyone says.

I am in process of getting insurance and will update here as and when it happens. Definitely going for comprehensive insurance after seeing the nightmare on the roads. As an expat we can never be too safe.

I’ve had 3 e-bikes since being in the Philippines. Mostly bcoz I was told that I don’t need registration and insurance and helmet and license. But from what I’m told now is the government wants all of that now.
My first e-bike was a 60 volt and the other two were 72 volt units. I personally wouldn’t recommend buying one. To many electrical problems  and the batteries are very expensive to replace. 2.2k per 12 volt  battery. Plus you don’t get very much power and distance  out of them.
If you really want one I have two sitting in storage collecting dust.

As far as comprehensive insurance goes, I got a quote back today  from above mentioned insurance company and have some questions:

Does one need to be covered for " acts of nature" here in Cebu?

What would be a relatively decent size cover for ' personal accident"? PhP 50 000 seems very low to cover any medical costs for 2 people.

The excess to be paid on every claim is quite high and almos double the total premium!!

The quote was relatively reasonable and will certainly give me peace of mind and I was happy with everything except above points.

Thanks again for the help.

In my experience , coverage limits are very low here.

Just an update. Got the bike Friday with my " For Registration" plate. Will get my comprehensive insurance activated Saturday with the above mentioned company. I must state that they were by far the best and responded promptly to all correspondence, unlike some other insurance companies I asked for quotes from and I am still waiting. If anyone wants more information, pm me and I will be happy to give you more details about insurance which is very affordable and certainly worth  the peace of mind.

OK so riding around with "For Registration" plate is ok? Nobody here has had hassels? What documentation are we meant to carry with us for the check points? I would think: proof of ownership/ registration; insurance and license??? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for all the help.