AirBnb in Ricon/Aguada

My wife and I are thinking about a larger home and offering rooms on AirBnb. We could pay cash for a smaller home, but it seems we could purchase a 5 bedroom and let rental income pay the mortgage. Additional benefit would be room for our friends and family to visit. We would appreciate any feedback as to whether or not this is a good idea. Thanks...

You need to check with the bank on that. They may take the potential income in consideration when it comes to qualifying for a loan. Or they may want you to be able to fully qualify on your own income. Hard to say, PR banks have low trust levels and require a lot of paperwork.

As to 5 bedrooms, that is not very common in PR, there are some, but not that many.

Are you sure you want to Airbnb your own home and share it with strangers? Not concerned with your security?

Maybe you could consider a 2 floor house, full house downstairs and full house upstairs, nothing shared.

I have seen a few 4 bedroom houses on different sites and one 5. Two had studios with separate entrances with no access to the rest of the house. I don't think I'd want strangers standing in my kitchen in the morning. You're right about that. Thanks for your reply. I look forward to your responses and your well informed opinions. If anyone else has had experience with this, please chime in. Both First Bank and Banco Popular have branches in Miami. I thought I'd start there for a pre approval.

We are remodeling our house into two separate units.  Upper and lower units. 

If we decide to rent, the guests will have a private unit and we will have our privacy on the lower level.

I have rented a room in B&B a few times. (Not in PR)  There the guests had a private bedroom & bathroom, and the rest of the house was shared.  But we are not interested in running that type of rental. 
I believe that in PR, a rental that includes food requires several additional permits and regulations making the business complicated. 

Good luck 😎

I am also considering a similar set up. Those I have rented in the past included a nice queen size bed, a clean room, A/C and sometimes a small refrigerator and microwave and a couple of dressers...nothing more. Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Sitka wrote:

We are remodeling our house into two separate units.  Upper and lower units. 

If we decide to rent, the guests will have a private unit and we will have our privacy on the lower level.

I have rented a room in B&B a few times. (Not in PR)  There the guests had a private bedroom & bathroom, and the rest of the house was shared.  But we are not interested in running that type of rental. 
I believe that in PR, a rental that includes food requires several additional permits and regulations making the business complicated. 

Good luck 😎

Sitka is right, Yes a room rental with at least 1 daily meal included is a different category and the rental taxes is different and I believe higher as it is seen more like a hotel. If you like provide some water in the refrigerator, a basket of fruits and even some wine or beer if you like, but dont list it in the offer, it is just a gift and not part of the rental.