OFFI's Translation Monopoly Ending

It's always been my understanding that if you submit your naturalization application in Hungary, then you have to use the expensive and bureaucratic services of the "official" translation agency, OFFI, for translating your documents. Indeed, that you have to use OFFI for any translations used for official purposes in Hungary.

But I just came across this news report indicating that new legislation in 2018 ended OFFI's monopoly on certified translations. However, it's not clear from the report whether the liberalization applies only to translations used in civil court proceedings, or also to translations required by government agencies.

https://slator.com/demand-drivers/hunga … providers/

In any event, anyone needing a certified translation in Hungary might now want to look into the possibility of using translators other than OFFI.

zif wrote:

It's always been my understanding that if you submit your naturalization application in Hungary, then you have to use the expensive and bureaucratic services of the "official" translation agency, OFFI, for translating your documents. Indeed, that you have to use OFFI for any translations used for official purposes in Hungary.....

In any event, anyone needing a certified translation in Hungary might now want to look into the possibility of using translators other than OFFI.

Yes, OFFI was always the place to go.  It's always been a much hated monopoly due to backlogs and high prices.   I didn't know about this liberalisation but I wonder if anything really has changed. 

There's supposed to be mutual recognition of documents here even within the EU but that always needed an official translation.    I expect civil servants here to not know about this alternate translation possibility and will be unimpressed with home made versions.