Which scooter do you like most?

I bought myself a 2013 blue Honda Lead recently mostly for its practicality, it has a wide seating area and a lot of space under it but other than that it isn't a very good ride.  I really wanted a Yamaha Grande (love the way it looks) but everyone keeps telling me that it better to get Honda. 

So which scooters are your favorites?

yamcha wrote:

I bought myself a 2013 blue Honda Lead recently mostly for its practicality, it has a wide seating area and a lot of space under it but other than that it isn't a very good ride.  I really wanted a Yamaha Grande (love the way it looks) but everyone keeps telling me that it better to get Honda. 

So which scooters are your favorites?

Scooter Libby

Good to know you are Republican.

yamcha wrote:

Good to know you are Republican.

You're now my favourite troll, please keep it up I'll get some popcorn.

Oh and I'm getting a Yamaha Grande Hybrid in May. My road ambition knows no bound!

Settled on a Honda Air Blade for the time being after going through a few different ones, guess it depends on what you want it for. Long trips, short trips, etc etc

My girlfriend wanted the biggest possible trunk for her makeup tools, that's her reason for wanting the Yamaha Grande. I told her it's a bit like buying an Audi only because of the size of the backseat! :lol:

I think the Lead and the Air Blade are mechanically similar (engine and drive train) but as the Lead probably has more curb weight it may be a little less zippy.  The Lead seems preferable to women because the step through design allows for mounting it more easily with a skirt on.

There are variables to consider: power, storage, weight, shifting, how many riders, cost. New prices are approximate including tax, registration.

I had a 2012 Honda Airblade (automatic, 110cc, 113 kilos, $1200 used) that was fine. There is storage under the seat (less than a Lead which looks like a tank to me). It rode much better, though heavier feeling, than old Yamaha Nuovos.

My wife had a Honda Wave (semi-automatic, 110cc, 98 kilos) that she liked because the frame is smaller, narrower, and lighter. She doesn't mind the semi-auto trans, which means that although is no clutch to engage, you shift up with your left foot tapping down. No clutch like a 10 speed bicycle. She says Airblades are too heavy, an extra 10 kilos is noticeable, even though the rider weighs a lot more.

Her motorbike was really old, her first one, and she just got a new Honda Future (semi auto, 125cc, 105 kilos, 35 mill) very similar to a Wave (28 mill), but the extra power makes a big difference, like when going over bridges when we ride together. A little more storage under the seat than the Airblade.

I got an Exciter last summer (manual trans, 150cc, 117 kilos, 50 mill) because a manual is more fun. But it is more shifting work in traffic, and, riding mostly in Saigon Q5/Q8, after 6 months thinking of selling it for full automatic Airblade. In Vung Tau or Da Nang, the Exciter/Honda Winner would be perfect for me, open roads, light traffic, but I am getting tired of slamming on the (great) brakes then stalling bc I'm in high gear, left hand cramps and so on. There is zero storage under the seat. I suppose I could have 2 motos.

For carrying more stuff, and sitting upright, a 125cc Honda Vision with the step-through design is pretty good. You can hang lots of packages or park dogs on the floorboard, comfortable for women in dresses, also your legs are protected (from rain, floods, other motorbikes) since they are inside, not outside the frame. Good storage under the seat too. The Honda Vario 150cc import from Indonesia (called Click in Thailand) is a step up in power and style.

Yamaha has equivalent models to the Honda but just aren't as popular. Sirius like Honda Wave, Nuovo like Airblade, NVS/Aerox like a big Honda PCX, Exciter like Honda Winner, etc.

The Honda Lead is probably the best bang for the buck.  Those Vespas sure look nice but then I hear they are heavy to ride and expensive to fix.

Piaggio Medley 125cc (12hp, 75 mio, 120kg kilos) huge storage under seat, ABS . Happy with this scooter.

I also had wanted an Exciter, but couldn't justify the cost.  Without reliable insurance, my budget was less than $600.
I'd heard that Yamaha cycles, except for the Exciter have a poor reputation for reliability.
But I did get a semi-auto Sirius and ended up hating it.

Keep in mind if you are thinking of resell value, Yamaha do sell  at a significant  discount to the Honda.

Instead of the Air Blade, I read really good things about the Suzuki Hayate, 125cc, on Philippines and Indonesia forums. Don't confuse it with the Hayate that Suzuki sells in India. they must like the name because it's a totally different bike.

I ended up getting a 2009 last year and even my dedicated Air Blade GF, recognized that it is a better bike than the Air Blade. In comparison, it drives like it's much lighter and is certainly faster.

Also in the Storm #9 flooding, while my GF's AIr Blade got water in the oil, mine didn't and it was 30 seconds to drain the CVT case.

I rode a Suzuki Hayate for a while.  It is a great bike but just ugly.

Well it seems the Yamaha Grande as manufacturing issues so my girlfriend now wants a Honda SH Mode, whatever that is. It seems to be a motorbike for women but what do I care as long as it bring me from A to B  :lol:

WillyBaldy wrote:

Well it seems the Yamaha Grande as manufacturing issues so my girlfriend now wants a Honda SH Mode, whatever that is. It seems to be a motorbike for women but what do I care as long as it bring me from A to B  :lol:

SH is flashy status bike. Not cheap. Buy it for her.

https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/sh.jpg

SH seats kind of high especially in the back.  I thought I was on a horse

gobot wrote:

SH is flashy status bike. Not cheap. Buy it for her.

You obviously understand courtship.   :cool:

yamcha wrote:

SH seats kind of high especially in the back.  I thought I was on a horse

It is likely that you will be doing the driving when you are together, as Vietnamese seem to prefer traditional gender roles with respect to driving.  Weight also can be an issue as it is obviously easier for a heavier person to carry a lighter one than the other way around.  Having your wife or GF on that high rear seat shouldn't hurt if you are driving.

On long trips, the SH may be significantly more comfortable than a lot of bikes that are designed for people of shorter stature.  After 20KM you may be appreciating that high seating position.   It is worth noting that unlike most of the models sold in Vietnam, the SH is sold by Honda in the US.

I am not sure the SH is designed for taller people.  I would assume that how comfortable the ride depends mostly on the width and padding of the seats plus the shock absorbing mechanism.

Thanks guys for your feedback on the SH Mode. It's not that I will simply "buy it for her", but I'm going to spend 7 months in Vietnam and needed a bike anyway. Was planning to buy a used bike for around 20 millions and then give the used bike to her (an automatic, would have been better than her old manual bike) so she offered to pay half half (25 millions each) for a new bike. Of course she's going for the kill with one of the best bike she can get  :lol:

She has to drive 45 minutes to go to Rach Gia to work, and 45 minutes to come back. So 90 minutes of driving every day. I'll feel better knowing she's got a new, good comfortable bike for the long driving. We also made a deal on the color. She loves red, I like black. We'll get the red and black!  :D

I can give her a ride.

yamcha wrote:

I can give her a ride.

I did, and she told me she thought she was on a horse  ;)

And also the angle under your knees between your hamstrings and your calves ideally should be 90 degrees for maximum comfort when sitting.

The Vision looks pretty good too.

yamcha wrote:

The Vision looks pretty good too.

Rented one for a few weeks last time I was in Vietnam, worked flawlessly.

It's hard to say.  In my opinion, a scooter has to be low have small fat wheels (think Vespa).  A lot of the scooters here are more like hybrid motorcycles.

Has anyone tried or own a Vinfast electric bike/scooter?
I tested one, build and quality seems good, biggest issue is price and top speed, travelling between Da Nang and Hoi an flat out 50 kph without emergency acceleration does not appeal, even on roads around Saigon. The better of the two models has a removable Bosch Lithium battery which extends travel distance.
There are various other makers bringing out electric bikes with safer top speeds.
Mike

yamcha wrote:

In my opinion, a scooter has to be low have small fat wheels (think Vespa).  A lot of the scooters here are more like hybrid motorcycles.

I think I am beginning to understand why you do not think the added height of the SH would add to comfort for a riding westerner.  Are you are not very tall?

I'm about 6 ft tall.  Actually, I wasn't really thinking about the race of the person on the scooter but now that you say that I can imagine that some shorter Vietnamese people might have trouble riding some of the taller scooters.  Their feet might have trouble touching the ground at a stop.

1966 Lambretta, people get out of my way and i almost always never have to pay parking fee and the parking attendants dont put another bike near it https://i.imgur.com/Au3JWdP.jpg

My GF has a SH Mode.  It's nice, smooth, full automatic and I absolutely hate riding it.  I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years and I can't get used to a flat floorboard and narrow handlebar grips.  She does drive me around on it.  I fit great in the back with the higher seat.  We drove it yesterday with me and her 12 YO daughter and it was plenty roomy.

I'm getting a KTM Duke 200.  Cheapest option to get into a real-feel motorcycle.  It's only 200cc but it's 26HP which is almost double most of the 150cc scooters.  They aren't cheap - 80,000,000 for a new one - but I just can't do the scooter thing.  I was going to get a Duke 390 but they are 165,000,000 and I'm getting a car in a few months so I won't use the bike nearly as much so it would be a bit of a waste.

michaellieptourists wrote:

Has anyone tried or own a Vinfast electric bike/scooter?
I tested one, build and quality seems good, biggest issue is price and top speed, travelling between Da Nang and Hoi an flat out 50 kph without emergency acceleration does not appeal, even on roads around Saigon. The better of the two models has a removable Bosch Lithium battery which extends travel distance.
There are various other makers bringing out electric bikes with safer top speeds.
Mike

My GF's son took an electric to the beach by Tam Ky last Tet. Half way back the battery died and he ahd to be pushed 10 km.

I wouldn't drive an electric on that main road, as it means that everyone and everything is passing you and it only takes one to run you over.
Also, the market for electric bikes is really for students as not not need a licence.
This past year, when we finally got a motorbike for the son, while we looked at electrics, at the end, the GF decided an old Honda super Cub was best and it has served him well.

There are some interesting hybrids nowadays. Not sure about whether they are marketed in VN.

In 2016 I bought my first Yamaha Acruzo 125cc,  which has a large storage area for helmets
Being very satisfied with the scooters performance & reliability I bought my second Yamaha Acruzo in 2018.
The Yamaha Acruzo's direct competitor is the Honda Lead, but at a lower entry price.

stevescoots wrote:

1966 Lambretta, people get out of my way and i almost always never have to pay parking fee and the parking attendants dont put another bike near it https://i.imgur.com/Au3JWdP.jpg

Scooter with a spare tire, really?
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/tt.jpg

Interesting choice! is it as heavy as it looks? All steel, no plastic! And nice headlight.

Maybe the 1950's streamline design cuts the air better.
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/tb.jpg

Also having owned a Yamaha Jet Ski as well as two 125 HP outboard motors on a boat,  I have been satisfied with the Yamaha brand in terms of reliability

Hondas are the Gold Standard in VN for reliability and durability. I know of several 60s and 70s models that are still transporting their owners. Korean and Taiwanese scoots are good. Chinese are like Chinese everything else.

I finally broke down and bought an electric bike which I ride around Cam Đức. I carry a spare battery and top speed is only about 35 clicks but I am not in a hurry.

You don't need a tag if it has pedals. The models without pedals perform the same as the pedaled ones but you have to have tags for them.

I rode MCs exclusively for almost 30 years in the US and have no trouble riding my little electric now. When I go back to the US I jump on my Virago 920 and burn up some highway, though.

Honda Leads are a nice scoot. As long as a scoot is reliable you'll grow to love it :) I've had Honda Blade and also Yamaha Nouvo in Vietnam. I have a Piaggio Fly back home 150cc which is pretty quick...