The pet culture in Tunisia

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Tunisia just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Tunisia by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Tunisia? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I have my 2 dogs that I brought with me from America. Many of my neighbors have dogs also. My landlord had no problem, and everyone else that I have spoken to with pets have had no problem renting with them.
I have a great vet, who knows them well and provides all their care from medical needs to bathing and food.
Cats are everywhere it seems, and at night I have one who sleeps on my porch.
As far as the variety of pets keep, many homes have high fences and unless I hear a dog barking or a bird making noise, I don't know what else is kept as a pet.

I brought my little dog from England. He's always welcome in hotels and restaurants (the way it used to be in the UK). There are competent, caring vets to be found. The only issue so far is that the vets I've used don't take the animal out of its cage or crate to relieve itself. I've been told this is because the vet attendants are fearful of dogs, but who knows the real reason? I was assured that my dog would toilet itself 'en place' but he didn't, and held it for three days! This was really unfair, so now I stress the fact that he MUST be taken out and walked.
I cook up his food in batches of rice, chicken and vegs and mix it with a handful of dry, because dry dog food is quite expensive here.
I may be wrong, but it seems as if more Tunisians are acquiring pet dogs. My neighborhood has several, mostly small, white and fluffy! Tunisians tend to gravitate to the smaller, lighter-colored and yappier breeds. This again I've been told is from a prejudice against black animals. (Many years ago, I met a man who'd poured bleach on his black dog to lighten its coat, but that's another story..) Luckily, my almost-black Scottish Terrier has a white beard! People often make a huge fuss over him.
As long as adjustments can be made and one isn't expecting things to be the same as at home, pet dogs fit in well with Tunisian life.