The pet culture in Poland

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Poland just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Poland by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Poland? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Hello,

I brought my standard poodle  to Poland from the US.  She's about 25 kilos. Before coming, I had to update her vaccinations and get her certified back in America in order to board the plane. On the plane, she flew in her new crate in the cargo area.  We flew non stop, which I think was a requirement (not positive).

Here in Poland, it has been easy to find a rental that allows dogs. She's well behaved, which helps.
Many flats have tile flooring.

In Warsaw, many restaurants are pet friendly in that they'll have water bowls on their porches and there are water fountains in the plaza with dog bowls at the bottom.   

It took a few phone calls to find a groomer for a standard poodle (she's a rare breed here), but I found one and an uber driver took us there.  I've taken her to the vet's once for fleas/tick meds.  (If I understand correctly, heart worms don't seem to be  a problem). 

Many, many people greet us on the street because my dog is an unusual dog for the area and she's calm & friendly.  All in all,  she's been quite welcomed.