The pet culture in the Philippines

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in the Philippines just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in the Philippines by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in the Philippines? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

You have all the pet services you need if you live in the big cities. I am not sure about the smaller towns. I guess the most common would be the ever faithful and trustworthy askal. The native dogs adopted from the streets. Whatever pet you fancy, you can find. Need something exotic? They even have a yearly convention for exotic pet breeders and keepers in Manila. I had a scorpion collection, and many have spiders, iguanas, pythons, etc. :)

Here in Butuan there is an animal welfare group that is doing great things to rescue dogs. I think far too many just want a dog here to keep in a cage as a cheap burglar alarm and not enough invest time and money to show the animals love or care for them. I have 2 dogs that moved here with me from USA and one from here. They are family.

I moved permanently to Bulacan Philippines last year. I have rented a nice home in a wonderful subdivision. I have found that most families have dogs as pets. Roosters are a close second. Then other birds, such as parakeets, parrots, and love birds.

Even in the rentals I have seen, I have found that it is acceptable to have pets even in the rental property. I have gotten a puppy since I retired here, and my landlord did not hesitate to agree that it was okay. Being retired, a dog makes a great companion during the days when I am home alone here.

Support for having pets (vets, clinics) is widely available and very accessible, many offering 24 hour services. Pets are even accepted in public places such as some stores and some malls.

I am unsure if people spends lots of money on their pets. Also I am unsure what the quarantine process is for bringing a pet to the Philippines from abroad. I have had several pets in the US, and the cost of pet ownership here is no different than my past experience.

i have a dog  named scarlet.

I brought 2 dogs from US. They needed USDA clearance frim back home and were not quarantined here. The special import permit for Phillipines is bought and printed online and says all the needed vaccinations and microchip stuff.

Hi Gordy,

I brought my dog, Nathan, here to Barobo about 18 months ago from New Zealand. Most of the dogs here are street dogs, fortunately Nathan  ignores them. He has had a yearly rabies vacc, a free government initiative, unfortunately the street dogs miss out. The vet is 30 minutes drive away, the range of supermarket dog food is very limited..

I usually come to Butuan every 2 months to renew my visa and regard that as a day out, takes about 3 hours each way on the bus.

My constant concern is that it will cost about $NZ 15000 for Nathan to return to NZ  with us next year, I had no idea it would be so expensive, bringing Nathan here cost nearly $NZ 4000, that amount was almost beyond my means, but I have never regretted spending the money..

My Philippine family have fallen in love with Nathan and delight in his company as much as I do, so he is never short of affection and attention.

Most of the dogs here appear to be well fed but they wander freely without anyone taking responsibility for them, this is hazardous on the busy highway we live on. I have become immune to their frequent barking, but occasionally remind Nathan that we won't accept such behaviour from him!

Kind Regards,
Harold.

Hello,
I brought two White German Shepherds with us when my wife and I moved here 7 years ago.  Learn the proper procedures & it's a piece of cake.
There seems to be a fashion trend of people with small dogs carrying them through malls and stores throughout the country.  They put them in diapers, clothes, carry bags etc.  I kind of like to use my German Shepherds for watching our compound and going on walks.  But to each their own.
If you care about your pets, bring them & enjoy them.  Check Facebook and find the prices for any and all pets.  Just don't forget to mention Pets in the Philippines.
Good Luck.

Sadly so many owners of dogs here, either don't know about or can afford the appropriate vaccinations for there dogs, such as Parvo, which as we know is deadly to them and contagious.

Most in the Philippines dont have a clue about looking after any type of pets
In Eastwood City Manila they are just a statement to say how rich they are because they live in Eastwood. The clowns dress them up in clothes and wheel them around in prams
The other extreme is just downright ignorance and cruelty

So sad they let them run free. Twice this week my k-9 has almost killed two of them for coming after us aggressively.

Was it difficult to bring a dog from the states? A plane ?

There are 3 big differences between the way pets are treated in the US and the way they are treated in the Philippines

1) Pets, especially dogs, roam freely throughout the subdivision that we live in. Some have even come to know who belongs in the subdivision and who doesn't and will bark at outsiders. These are NOT homeless dogs, but rather dogs whose owners let them roam during the day and come home at night. Unfortunately, even aggressive dogs can be found roaming around. My 16-year-old son was bitten by one and had to have rabies shots, which leads to item #2

2) Very few people vaccinate their dogs. Parvo kills most puppies, and you can assume that if you are bitten by a dog, that you need to get a rabies shot. Although it's rare, people have been known to die from a bite by a rabid dog.

3) There really are no animal rights to speak of in the Philippines. There is simply too much poverty for people to be concerned about animals.

My service dog flew free in cabin. My other dog flew in a crate. You need USDA vet clearance and a bunch of vaccinations and then you get the import permit for philippines online for just a few dollars.

I have rottweilers , english bulldog, 2 native dogs (love equally) and 2 shitsu; I am getting another rott.  I have several houses so I have no problem traveling with my dogs specially my rott in a van. 
I cannot stay away for long without them.

I feel sooo happy for you 😉