The pet culture in Belize

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Belize just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Belize by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Belize? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I too would love to hear the answers to your questions. Hope somebody can provide this information??

Expats have pets the local people in the main have working animals.  Pet owners can find everything they need to care for their pets, good Vetinary services  are available in most localities and are considerably less expensive than in the US.
if a local family/business have a rodent problems they may have cat/s if they want protection they will have a dog/s. The animals in general are not mistreated but a lot of expats seem to feel they are. Most families feed their animals with table left overs not  purchased pet  food. A friend of mine feeds her dogs with table left overs supplemented with rice and or beans.   Stray Dogs can often be seen scavenging, and they have no fears of traffic on the roads and will meander down the middle of a busy road with impunity
Our handyman teases our son saying he is coddling  his dogs because he feeds them purchased dog foods and he even purchased a dog bed instead of just giving them a heap of old clothing to sleep on. He still does not keep his dogs in his house they sleep outside as is the norm in Belize. The dogs never even bother to try to enter the house buildings but will go inside the workshop under the house in inclement weather.
The Big problem is the fact the Belizeans do not believe in nor want to neuter their animals and as a result there are a lot of strays, Locally known as Potlickers.
Our own dogs are "fixed" so will not be adding to that problem.

Most rentals will accept Pets if they are not living within the rental.

I have heard that the US will not allow pets back into the country after visiting many (including Belize) overseas locations.  I think this something relatively new and am wondering how long it might last?  I thought I heard there was a problem with rabies, but even with the vaccine the pets are not allowed entry.  Anyone know the details and/or how long this might last?

The CDC has issued a one year suspension on importing dogs for a year because they were finding kennels of puppies to young for traveling with false papers that said they were rescues when they were being bought by one person as a mule for the purpose of selling.  If you have a dog that you want to import into the states, then you need to contact by email, no less than six weeks in advance, for permission and then you'll need to leave it in New York at your expense for a period of time. This is the email address for the permit. [email protected]

Surely if you take a Pet out of the USA and bring the same Pet back to the USA you don't need CDC permission just your Pet Passport?

garysshaw wrote:

Surely if you take a Pet out of the USA and bring the same Pet back to the USA you don't need CDC permission just your Pet Passport?

Yes, even dogs that came from the U.S. are banned, including service dogs, and per their website only RARE exceptions will be granted!

garysshaw wrote:

No dogs are allowed into the US from some 100 countries. We are Canadian and could not drive to Belize with our dogs, as we could not take them back to Canada via  the US.