Thinking of leaving Thailand

Looking for information about maybe retirement in Vietnam, or any other countries near by.
Cost of living . As I'm thinking of leaving Thailand after living here for 2 years.
Any information or advice would be appreciated.

what went wrong , tell us please
Florin

My UK husband and I living here in Thailand about 12 years. We have been to many countries in Asia and we decided to live in Thailand, Surin city. It's very nice place, the cost of living is OK. What things went wrong with  you?

What about Philippines, I am assuming language barrier is one of your reasons?

Farleyman55 wrote:

Looking for information about maybe retirement in Vietnam, or any other countries near by.
Cost of living . As I'm thinking of leaving Thailand after living here for 2 years.

Do yourself a huge favor. Stay in Thailand. :cheers:

Hi jana
Thanks for your comment.
Why do you think I should stay in Thailand.
As many farung are leaving Thailand and moving to Vietnam or Cambodia.

Hiya
Thanks for your comments
No it's not the language barrier as I can speak a little thai, and thai people I speak to speak English to me.
It's just the way immigration is making it harder for us expats.
Yes I've thought about the Philippines as well as Cambodia and Vietnam.
Many thanks

I have the same problem with immigration, and i have a Thai wife but cannot stay in Thailand because i need to show 400,000 Bhat to the immigration each year so i can stay in the country which is insane, when i come here i bring with me all the necessary papers including a family business financial statement (stamped and approved from my government) that i get around 52k per month but they didn't accept it! actually before i come here my wife asked and they said if you are married this paper is required for his visa.
The immigration is a big problem in Thailand as really no one tells you what is really required until you start the process then Surprise! My wife can get a renewable 3 years resident in my country and if we have a child she will get a citizenship, then on the other hand you see many people living and working in Thailand illegally it's very sad that the right people that should stay in the country cannot.

finally i am thinking of moving with my wife to a nearby S.Asia county KL is my favorite since i stayed there before for 4 months and the salaries are way better than Thailand.

Where place you live now..?

Hi Im Amila from Srilanka.colombo.Im into travel & tourism industry.i used to fly asian countries often.Im planing to come to work for thailand ,malaysia or dubai,,can anybody help me to find some job opprtunities there.
Thanks,

I'm back in England for a few months, then I'm going to Vietnam maybe

Hiya expats
Can any of you expats please give me advice on the Philippines please as I'm thinking of retirement there.
And I don't know enough about the Philippines.
I would appreciate any advice or information you can give me
Many thanks

Hi Farley,
I am in a similar situation as you, thinking and planning to leave Ting Tong Land for somewhere similar. I have already sold all my assets after getting divorced and have sent most of my money out even though Thailand makes this incredibly difficult. Yet another reason to leave.

I have expat friends in the Philippines who love it but you do have to be careful where you select due to the regular storms that destroy some areas.

Check out the following link, I hope it goes well for you.

https://www.wandergogo.com/the-philippi … ng-easier/

Hello, I will move to Bangkok soon. I've lived in Phnom Penh which I absolutely loved. The people are the kindest and it's not a stressful place even though the city is crowded. I'm sure it's much cheaper than Bangkok for rent and food, although electricity is quite expensive and not always reliable, many power cuts. Compared to Thailand and Vietnam, Cambodia is very poor and dirty, most people with money travel to Bangkok to see Dr's. The food is also nowhere near as good. It has many nice restaurants but the street food is awful. The English level in Phnom Penh is also very very limited, sometimes ordering a coffee is a challenge until you learn Khmer.

We also considered the Philippines but there aren't as many expat couples, like married with kids. It's a lot of retired men looking for women. Also the food is notoriously bad and for me it doesn't look as good as Bangkok.

Moving to Bangkok, I hope you like 24 hour a day traffic jams, noise and pollution

Why be so negative, you just described most of the worlds cities.

No I described BKK, I know it very well.

I'm sure if you know Bangkok well enough, you will know how and where the jam in different degree!! from Empty to bumper-to-bumper.

Had a few bad reports about The Philippines our friends moved there but are on the verge of moving back but we renovated a condo for an American guy married to lady from Bali who moved to  Vientiane" Laos and the last we heard they absolutely loved the place.

We will settle in my village when we stop work and my BF loves the place. So it's about what you like. If you shop in the Emporium and drink in Nana Plaza or similar I would stay in Thailand :0) If you are a country guy Thailand is the safest of all the Asian countries so I would stay in Thailand.

Vietnam is a very cheap place to live but so is Udon Thani. All depends what you are looking for

tipmick wrote:

My UK husband and I living here in Thailand about 12 years. We have been to many countries in Asia and we decided to live in Thailand, Surin city. It's very nice place, the cost of living is OK. What things went wrong with  you?

We renovated a house for an Australian in Prasat and sorry but my BF absolutely hated Surin.

He's been many places but says they should rename it Sum Tam City because it's all they sell.

We drove in to find a place to eat and drove up to this roundabout with 2 Elephant Tusks and back out the way we came. and every eating place was Sum Tam not a McDonalds in sight but there was a Thaiwatsadu :0) We ended up back in Prasat at the shopping center near the main road and he swore he'd never return LOL

I am sure there are some nice places but hard to find

Hi Chalanda,

Can I ask why your friends don't like Philippines? We will move to Thailand so just curious :)

Where they stay near her work in Manilla, there is a poor area nearby. It is the worst they have ever seen, they said would put a garbage dump in Thailand  to shame and if the wind blows the wrong way it is disgusting.

Seems like everyone wants to talk about is politics and they just never feel safe like they did in BKK plus traffic cops come in droves when you get stopped. You pay one then you have to pay his friend or boss too.  She can't go to the ATM alone as there are always guys hanging around which also makes her feel unsafe.

They are talking about settling in Udon Thani when they get back as he works online he can stay anywhere and she has been offered a teaching job there.

Wow, I've lived in some crazy places but never felt like I should leave. Thank you for the information. I'm excited for BKK.

Hilarious that you're going to the Philippines then. Hope you like gangs and slums.

You been drinking? lol

I don't blame you. Immigration is getting insane and has been getting worse every year.

I suggest checking out Panama, the geography and weather is similar. Here is the good benefits.

1. You can get permanent residency in just a few months time. Almost impossible in SE Asia. So no more visa problems.
2. You can freely own land and homes.
3. Decent healthcare.
4. Beautiful beaches and mountains.
5. No typhoons to worry about.

[Moderated]

this is correct , and also a good pensionada program

Yes the pension program is very good and also offers you discounts on almost everything in Panama.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Promoting your own services is not allowed on the website. You should register your business in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Having taken the decision to leave Thailand close to 3 years ago (Just to much hassle to live there). I now do not look back and say I miss the place.

My wife who is Thai and a nurse, even says she will never go back.

I was lucky, I did not sell my home in the UK, so had somewhere to live. Yes its cold here at times, so I just put on another item of clothing, today its shorts and t/shirt.

No immigration check ins for the wife either, no big dangers driving on the roads, even the wife says she feels safe driving over here now. Not too many con artists, No double pricing. No having to worry about healthcare for my wife or myself ever.

Even with all the Uncertaincies of Brexit, life is almost worry free.

I really do not miss anything that Thailand has to offer except all the stupid immigration laws that someone married to a Thai should not have to face.

Foreign woman married to Thai's do not face these problems, so why should men, the answer is racism and one and all know it.

Glad to be out of the place and have my life on a level playing field.

Before you say then if you do not miss the place, why did you come on here and say as you have.

Simple an email just popped up in my account and invited me to look again on here as not been here for years. Its a nice quirt day so why not look thought I.

For those thinking of going, you know its not that bad back home as long as you are not a bar girl type. Thankfully I married a nurse and not a pin cushion. Never did get to one of those bars.

Thailand used to be a really nice country years ago, its not that today is it.

Whatever you decided to do, Think first and check it out.

I know I live in the best country in the world, nothing else comes close and yes I have lived and worked in many others.

Home is where the Heart is and that is not Thailand or ever will be again, sorry.

Stay safe. I wish you well.

is 400,000 baht that much really ? wow ... any one thinking of retiring overseas should have that much saved ... but I would really know ... as for other regulations ... it seems they are no more strenuious than other countries ... best of luck, I am retiring there full time next year ... but then I have a large local family helping support me local from that aspect. But then I was very careful who I picked to marry too.

Not sure if this was meant for me, but please read what I said and was honest in what I said. As for implying I was not careful who I married, well she will be a doctor in 2 years over here, so I think that answered that one. My hot tub house is worth a dam site more that 400K.

You try and help people with advice and it looks like some, well take a horse to water, you cannot make it drink.

So sad.

Possible the bottle talking again, but not here.

I didn't mean who you married but married the family and the culture , it is their country and they are permitted to do things their way , great you have a nice house back home as do I , actually 2 in america , but also one one in Thailand and the taxes there are impressively low , allowing me to help my Thai family more with school assistance for the nieces & nephews, not accumulating in a bank account , which it is also doing, any way up to ones taste, choose as you  will I am not telling you are wrong, in any of your observations,  but I think you are a bit harsh on a 2nd world country , and I think others reading your post will get the wrong idea ... but again you are certainly allowed to have your own opinion, but I find america way to expensive, both house wise and property tax wise to want to stay here, so I am moving home to Thailand permanently ... Jan 2020 and that will be all she wrote.

Thanks for that. Its a 3rd world country and moving backwards. I cannot comment on the USA as it was a very long time ago I lived there, but I can comment on the UK.

I wonder how the Thai people living here would feel if the British Government implement the TM30 form, so every time they go and visit a friend or head for London or wherever, someone has to fill in that form and tell the government where you are, just for a night.

In the UK when you where young those working paid their taxes so you could get an education, Healthcare and stay safe with policing just to name a few. Many of those people are still around today paying taxes of one sort or another, thus helping those growing up today.

You on the other hand say sod those who helped me, I am off to a country that does not really want me and I will help them. Which is 2 fingers up to those who helped you.

Now tell me when you hit 70 or just before and you cannot get health insurance cover, like they are trying to make compulsory, what do you do? It will be time to leave and head for home and probably be a burden on your home country again.

So many farangs are suffering now with the high Thai baht, so looking for pastures new. If you have a wealth of cash behind you, it will be fine, but most do not have large stockpiles of readys, many say they have, but always go on to say its cheap here to live. Read between the lines on that one.

Many go there for one reason, you and I both know that.

I wish you well and hope that top 1% that run the country and take, Take, Take, fall off their corrupt perch, so the rest of the Thais who are just like us can have a great life.

neveragain wrote:

Having taken the decision to leave Thailand close to 3 years ago (Just to much hassle to live there). I now do not look back and say I miss the place.

My wife who is Thai and a nurse, even says she will never go back.

Home is where the Heart is and that is not Thailand or ever will be again, sorry.

Hmm? Amusing post ^.
However, if I were as turned-off with Thailand, as much as that ^ former farang "claims" to be,...then I'd certainly not be hanging around, posting negative comments on the Thailand forum;

... and especially posting ^ from the comfort of my "glorious" UK lifestyle,...located 7 Time Zones (distance) away,...from the SE Asian region,...eh? :whistle:

Now,...compared to Thailand,..(not the UK)....both Cambodia and Vietnam leave considerably much to be desired,...by western standards.

Jana611

Did you not have the intelligence to read what was written? I did take the time to explain why I had revisited this web site after such a long time. Was that impossible to digest because your education only teaches facevalue.  So just for you lets say again. An email popped up from this website asking me to revisit as I had not been seen on here for a long time.

I am married to a Thai lady who got off her backside and put herself through nursing collage, then went on to Australia to a master's degree. Held a job in her local hospital as head nurse for over a decade (That is over 10 years should you not know the world).

She then came to the UK and found a better life (so she says) 2 years time she will be a doctor here in the UK and will be able to work anywhere in the world.

I myself create award-wining websites for companies around the globe (World if you do not know the word). So please is it me that is uneducated and missing things?

The Headline asked
Thinking of leaving Thailand
I quote
Farleyman55
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So I gave a view from the experience I had to help someone who asked for advice.

For many it would be very hard to move back home due to the costs these days, but I think I showed it could be done.

I also reminded people of the pitfalls of your country like the TM30 and Healthcare Insurance costs they may not be able to afford when they hit 70. If they can get any insurance at all, so it would be Bye Bye we do not want you here any more.

TM30 is an insult to Farangs, you do not have to do it here in a first world country, so why do they in your country? We also do not have 2 admission prices one for a British Person and one for anyone from overseas. We all pay the same. If you did that here you are nicked, mind you our trading standards and police actually work, where yours sit on their ass.

Death rate on your roads is the worst in the world, if you take a war torn country (Libya) out of the equation. Why is that young lady?

The UK death rate on the roads for year ending June 2018 was 1,770 reported road deaths. (That includes those who later died in hospital from their injuries) Please remind what your country's figures are?

Finally I wished everyone success and happiness, this included the Thais who also suffer corrupt treatment from the top 1% that owns so much.

Most people like you will now disappear, as you do not understand real life. The world does not revolve around a 3rd world country, time you learned that fact and got an education. Thailand needs to move forward not backward, China will take what they want and then also leave?

Thinking of leaving Thailand ~ Farleyman55

"Looking for information about maybe retirement in Vietnam, or any other countries near by."

Verbosely........................................^Rule.................................."Britannia",...etc... :whistle:

Education Education Education,
You have a nice day in the kindergarten.

HA!...:cool:

Thanks for all input on this issue.

I to decided to leave Thailand and now reside and work In Myanmar. This is not where I will retire however it gives me the opportunity to decide for the future.

Right now i am back in Bangkok for a few days of business and I immediatley realized why I wanted to leave.

Rubbish all over the place, plastic plastic plastic.
Scam artists on street corners tryng to get you to buy all kinds of crap.
Prostitutes everywhere, quite literally everywhere. In the last few days I have been propositioned in shopping malls, a hair salon, Big C,  a restaurant at breakfast time.  Walking back to my hotel getting offerred a BJ on the Sukhumvit road. Where are the police.
Immigration rules FFS.
Go out for a beer in the evening even in a decent place and there is a line of women looking to get their stcky fingers on your wallet.

Not for me anymore.