How is the work-life balance in IT world in Kuala Lumpur?

Hi! My family and I are thinking to move to Kuala Lumpur. We are in the mid 30s with a 20 months old baby boy. My husband and I work as Scrum Masters in the IT industry, and we are looking for similar jobs in Kuala Lumpur. We are both Romanian and currently living in Barcelona (Spain).
Before deciding to take this big step, we'd want to know what to expect from life there. We have several questions and some concerns, we hope that somebody can throw some light on them. Having the young member in our family our main concern is the life-work balance.
- How many working days per week are in KL in an IT company and how many hours per day?
- Are the working hours flexible?
- How much annual vacation one can take?
- How difficult is to find a job as a Scrum Master, searching remotely from an European country?
- How difficult is to balance work and life with a toddler? Are the extra hours common? Is it hard to find time after work to spend with family?
- What about the safety?

Not sure about the scope for "scrum masters" in malaysia however corporate environment you may find here is mixed ..some jobs can be very stressing and some can be really chilled out ..  My office for instance is very chilled out with bean bags,pool, ping pong table , open concept can sit anywhere etc ..

my earlier job was also ok but a small company with chinese owner gave me lot of pressure on sales etc ... so i guess it depends ! if it is a MNC with international standards and roots should be ok !

Mostly slave labour to abused feudal peasant.

Big Malaysian companies like AirAsia are awful, they say 45 hours a week that turns into 100 hours a week (no overtime).

Smaller employers are worse.

MNCs are far better.

Thanks! We will look for MNCs only.

Hi All,

I believe this topic isn't active for last 1 year. But looking for suggestions here.

Me and my husband are planning to move to Malaysia from Dubai. We belong from india but from last 2 years we were in Dubai.

My husband has got an offer letter from IT company so looking to move to KL. Just wanted to know how the work life balance is there in KL.

I hope you all will have better answers and advise for me now.

Personally I think its less about MNC than the Malaysian work culture --- specifically the company owners' culture which is to hire a person on any premise and agreement and then play around with duties, responsibilities, hours and dates of salary payments to suit the owner, not the worker. Some managers/owners see themselves as professionals in a professional environment, others as lords over a kingdom in which the worker serves at the beck and call of the Master.  This is because the few labor laws are weak AND the worker doesnt want to be looking for another job. Positive aspects of the MNC factor, if any, usually comes from the fact the MNC brings in foreign managers who were used to dealing with real labor laws and demanding workers. Once the foreign manager is replaced with a local, its "back to business."  Local workers tell me stories and I just shake my head. Sometimes I get angry and I, who is a peaceful sort with no place whatsoever in the scenario, demands to meet the manager to take him/her out behind the building and whip the crap out of them. So, "work and life" here? You'll find out when you are on the job and its likely not what you thought or hoped for. It might be advisable to learn to kiss backsides well and work on boosting relationships in general to minimize problems and get what one needs. Learn diplomacy and boosting the stature of your boss. However bad Malaysia is, I believe Singapore is worse.