Dual Citizenship

Can someone please help me

I was born in Mauritius but came to the UK at 6 months of age and was naturalised - I am a British citizen now.

I want to apply for a Mauritius passport (both mother and father are Mauritius born) - I cannot get a simple answer from any of the websites etc. Can someone please tell me if I can go to the consulate in London and sort this out or do I have to go in person to Mauritius?

Thank you

nishythakrar wrote:

Can someone please help me

I was born in Mauritius but came to the UK at 6 months of age and was naturalised - I am a British citizen now.

I want to apply for a Mauritius passport (both mother and father are Mauritius born) - I cannot get a simple answer from any of the websites etc. Can someone please tell me if I can go to the consulate in London and sort this out or do I have to go in person to Mauritius?

Thank you

I don't know whether you are 18 y.o or above.
You have to show proof that you are MAURITIAN citizen before you can apply for a Mauritian passport.
And to claim your Mauritian citizenship , you have to apply on the island pending on your eligibility wrt the naturalization ( at one point in time one couldn't get citizenship if they were naturalized by a foreign country )

This topic has been discussed ad infinitum ( at least once every two months)  on this forum. A little search will lead you to other queries on the same subject.

Did you get your dual nationality? I've been there twice and still didn't get it. They're only interested if you have $500,000 dollars to put into an account. The Mauritius government are a bunch of hypocrites to be honest

Hello Adamramoth,

How are you doing ?

Read your other post as well, seems that you are facing some hassle in getting that Mauritian nationality.

To better understand, could you please provide some details on yourself  (so that we can help). Were you born in Mauritius ? Are your parents (one or both) Mauritian ? Are you married to a Mauritian ? Have you lived under the same roof of your Mauritian spouse in Mauritius for around 5 years ?

Citizenship based on investment is an option ofcourse, money + time you stayed here
: "NATURALIZATION FOR INVESTORS
Under section 9(3) of the Mauritius Citizenship Act an investor may be naturalized as a citizen of Mauritius if:
(i)   he has invested a sum of not less than 500,000 US dollars in Mauritius;and
(ii)  he has resided in Mauritius for a continuous period of not less than 2 years preceding the date of his application"

Which case applies to you ?

https://dha.govmu.org/Pages/Services/Citizenship.aspx

Regards,
Anoushka

But if your mother is Mauritian you are automatically eligible for citizenship regardless of what anyone tell you. Mauritius government is no less corrupt than Indian government. Bribes and handshakes are rife in the upper levels despite.

To answer your question regardless of present nationality you are eligible to apply on your parents behalf if you were born in Mauritius.