Nationality Mix of Residents in Nha Trang

Hi, I am currently living in Chiang Mai, Thailand and considering move to Vietnam. I am from the US. I have read information that Nha Trang is heavily populated with a large group of one nationality. I like to be among a mixture of Nationalities as I get along well with most people.  thank you

Markd95 wrote:

Hi, I am currently living in Chiang Mai, Thailand and considering move to Vietnam. I am from the US. I have read information that Nha Trang is heavily populated with a large group of one nationality. I like to be among a mixture of Nationalities as I get along well with most people.  thank you

Are you talking about residents or tourists?

Tourists yes, expats no.

Yes, vietnamese.. 🙄

Actually I was thinking of residents but now that you mention it I would be interested in both.

Yes, the residents are primarily Vietnamese. The one time I was there (late Nov/ early Dec), there weren't many tourists in the downtown area. I met one North American guy on the bus into town.

Anyway, yes, in the cheap area north of town where I stayed, many Russians were there, mostly families and some couples.

Most of the menus in that part of town were only in Russian, Chinese and Vietnamese. Supposedly, there are many Chinese tourists too, but I just met some Chinese colleagues of my VN friend.

Anyway, the Russians just seemed like normal tourists to me. I imagine the long-term expats live in various other parts of the city. I was just there about 5 days as the weather was pretty stormy, which is the main reason I haven't decided to move there.

There are a lot of Chinese and Russians there for holidays. Chinese investors are fairly common too. Most expats here avoid Nha Trang because of this.

The Russians mostly look like poorly dressed Americans, at least on the beachfront.

Hello Markd95
I also live in Thailand but plan to move to Vietnam, Na Trang or Da Nang is the option I find that I think will work best for me. I still have a lot of research to do about banks and VIsa, etc. But your question is of interest for me as well.

Hello Markd95 and notax2018,
I am from New Zealand, I also live in Thailand currently Hua Hin after moving from Chiang Mai.   I am going to Nha Trang and Da Nang  for 2 to 3 weeks in April to get my questions answered and to check out various locations etc.

Interesting thread, thanks. My daughter is half Russian and my last ex is Chinese so I can swear quite well in both lingos. 

As long as I can avoid drunken Brits when I get there Ill be happy.  :D