Driving in Cambodia

I have read that International licenses are not accepted there, I see many bikes from Viet Nam are driving around the border areas. So my question is this, does anyone know if the Cambodian police accept  a person riding a bike with Vietnamese plates and Vietnamese license, can I  drive there legally or do they only accept Cambodian licenses. Maybe they just turn a blind eye to the Vietnamese locals riding there,  a different matter for a foreigners I presume.

Hello.

It would be an easy job for police to stop a foreigner riding a bike with Vietnamese plates. ;)

The only ones that are allowed to ride those bikes and with a Vietnamese license are Vietnamese people. The border areas are the least bothered as a lot of Vietnamese people work in Cambodia.

It's not a big deal to get a Cambodian DL, cost you an hour and a half and about $30, for a one year DL.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that would be the case.

JoeKhmer wrote:

Hello.

It would be an easy job for police to stop a foreigner riding a bike with Vietnamese plates. ;)

The only ones that are allowed to ride those bikes and with a Vietnamese license are Vietnamese people. The border areas are the least bothered as a lot of Vietnamese people work in Cambodia.

It's not a big deal to get a Cambodian DL, cost you an hour and a half and about $30, for a one year DL.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Do you need to have a valid foreign DL (translated professionally into English) before you can get issued a Cambodian one?

post wrote:
JoeKhmer wrote:

Hello.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

Do you need to have a valid foreign DL (translated professionally into English) before you can get issued a Cambodian one?

Yes you need a valid (translated) DL of your country.

Joe

Would a Thai driving licence be OK

Salavan wrote:

Would a Thai driving licence be OK

If you're a Thai yes, if not no.

They require a valid DL from your country of origin.

Cheers.

Joe

My UK driving licence has expired and you got to be resident to apply for another so it looks like a push bike for me at least t I don't pay for petrol haha

Same with me. I left my country 12 years ago with a brand new DL, valid for 10 years.

Two years ago I was able to get a Cambodian DL.

But the year after they had implemented this new rule, so no more DL.

I have seen these electric rollers in the streets, maybe something for us. :D

Cheers.

Joe

JoeKhmer wrote:

Same with me. I left my country 12 years ago with a brand new DL, valid for 10 years.

Two years ago I was able to get a Cambodian DL.

But the year after they had implemented this new rule, so no more DL.

I have seen these electric rollers in the streets, maybe something for us. :D

Cheers.

Joe

Can you take and pass the theory and practical tests to obtain a Cambodian DL by being non-Cambodian citizen?

There is no such thing when you "exchange" your national DL with a Cambodian one.

A medical test is part of it, done at the same premises.

It's really nothing and you're in and out in 1.5 hours.

Cheers.

Joe