Drive a car in HCMC

I will move to work in HCMC soon. It's possible for me to buy a car and get driving license here?

Yes and yes.

Chutima Chu wrote:

I will move to work in HCMC soon. It's possible for me to buy a car and get driving license here?

Since no one in Thailand or Vietnam cares about traffic rules, you will have it easy here in Vietnam despite right-hand traffic.

If you drive a motorbike it is not even relefant if you drive on the left like in Teiland.  :lol:

Chutima Chu wrote:

If you want to register a car in your own name (search here in the forum how it can be done), it is more complicated than if you would register it in the name of a Vietnamese friend.

When you buy a new car, the whole registration process is done by the car dealership.

I don't know what it's like for Thais, but holders of a driver's license from another country can usually have their driver's license converted into a Vietnamese driver's license.

Thais don't need to convert license as it is ASEAN License and valid in Vietnam without converting or IDP.

Andy Passenger wrote:
Chutima Chu wrote:

Since no one in Thailand or Vietnam cares about traffic rules, you will have it easy here in Vietnam despite right-hand traffic.

If you drive a motorbike it is not even relefant if you drive on the left like in Teiland.  :lol:

Well i lived, worked & drove a car in BKK for over a year & in my opinion in general traffic rules were observed there for example traffic lights. In HCMC they might as well turn off the traffic lights & save on electric because 90% of the moto drivers & 10% car drivers are totally oblivious to them anyway & i never saw that in BKK thats for sure. As far as driving a bike here (& i do it a lot) the rule of thumb is....dog eat dog & every man/woman for them selves!!

I'm confident to drive here I knew it's different. I had experience driving in Europe before. I just worry about make it right way.

Chutima Chu wrote:

I'm confident to drive here I knew it's different. I had experience driving in Europe before. I just worry about make it right way.

Well you can forget your driving in Europe experiance. Driving a car in HCMC is quite a different experiance, believe me. If you are in a hurry for example, better walking!!

Thank you for ur advice. I need help about how can I go to work without walking or driving motorbike. U can recommen me better tell me to walk.

I would say try to look home close to work if possible. That said,  driving here is not that difficult. It is slower than going with motorcycle but at least you have aircon, also finding parking is not always that easy. If you get TRC you can register car in your name, but you have to redo it when you get another TRC ( old one expires)

Forgive the funnies: all you need is a healthy survival ethic

It is (very) dangerous to drive (anything !!)  ..or even walk...      :o
   mainly because the Viet Nam mindset has no equal when it comes
   to "doing it their way".    Seriously.

Yes, there are rules.   Predominantly ignored.   Traffic lights? 
       I'll be conservative and (suggest) approx. 20% obey, the rest (don't)
   ignore you; they just avoid you, (so for the love of God: don't stop !!!)

Yes, walking will change your mind very quickly.   Footpaths are only
  for Cafe' dining (and) alternate routes for motorbikes.  One-way streets
  only exist in the minds of whoever planned them, only trucks & buses
  have right-of-way, police only collect coffee money...

COMPLETELY different from Thailand (or any other culture..?), so I
    would strongly suggest you arrive & experience it for yourself and
    (even then) You'll have your rationale severely challenged

I also suggest a taxi (or Grab a motorbike?) to witness it all while
   you (try to) believe in the (complete) absence of rule-of-law
        (taxi transport works out far cheaper than owning a car)

Those few of us expats left alive are now believers

I trust you will too...     :blink:

I think I will try Gab taxi first. Thank you for ur opinion.

Chutima Chu wrote:

I think I will try Gab taxi first. Thank you for ur opinion.

Good idea.

Once you find a driver you trust with a car you like, you can negotiate a private fare for the next time.

Grab charges 30% of the price for a commission.

Figure out the average Grab price for your route to work (prices change all the time based on demand for drivers) and then offer 70% to 80% to go the same route.

Stay safe!

We are already discuss this topic recently, so you can read it here

Being short, it's not a problem to buy and drive car/bike here (BTW, road death rate in Vietnam 2 times lower, in compare with Thai), you can use ASEAN licence as well as convert it to Vietnam one easily.

Chutima Chu wrote:

Of course, it is possible but it is a pain in the ass. 

1. Expensive (more than a taxi or car services such as Grab, Vato Be etc.)
2. Traffic. 
3. Uncivilized (dangerous) roads and drivers.
4. No parking.

Many of the people here do not own or drive cars even if they can easily afford it because of the reasons mentioned above.

Use Grab for longer distances and a scooter or electric bike to get around your neighborhood for close stuff. 

Gook luck and be safe.

Thank you