Living in costa rica prior to Rentista

Am I able to get an apartment, set up shop so to speak and live in Costa Rica while I am applying for Rentista so long as I leave and return on new visa every 90 days? if I understand correctly I need to leave the country for at least a day and then return?

Once you submit your application for residency you will no longer have to exit Costa Rica as you will be given an Expediente form and number.  The caveat to that is that if you wish to drive on a foreign driver's license while awaiting you residency confirmation you will have to exit and re-enter every 90 days.  You do not have to be out of country for a day, you can cross and come back in the same day.  Different border officials may tell you to go into (nearest city), spend a few dollars and then return to the border.

Thank you for responding! Much appreciated and a very useful bit of information. Still trying to wrap my head around the auto issue. I have a 2010 Prius that I plan to import at some point, but not until later. In the meantime, I plan to rent a car for September and October when I come down to check things out. I know this will be my biggest expense. I have a very specific question regarding importing my car- I understand some hardy souls actually drive down there with their cars to vacation and of course do not pay an import fee. If I ship my car, am I able to do the same for a short period prior to importing it?

Suggest you read this article by Costa Rica Law

I was just trying to find information on the Costa Rica Law site but found nothing about the costs of actually registering and licensing a vehicle.  Where do I find that information please?

Try 'following the links' on the aforementioned website....where you will be required to 'fill in the blanks.'

Have you thought through the implications of rentista residency, esp. wrt the Caja?

Caja premiums are based on your income on a sliding scale up to 13%. I believe you are required to withdraw $2500/month as colones and this is what they count as your income (even though it's really savings).

Others more knowledgeable may correct this notion, but I believe that means your Caja premium will be $325/month.

Josefbh, should have responded that even if one drives down, they will still be required to pay the import tax...and it must be paid within 90 days or the vehicle must leave Costa Rica and stay out for a specific length of time. You would need to contact a broker about this.

kohlerias wrote:

Josefbh, should have responded that even if one drives down, they will still be required to pay the import tax...and it must be paid within 90 days or the vehicle must leave Costa Rica and stay out for a specific length of time. You would need to contact a broker about this.

josefbh is asking if there is a difference between driving it in versus shipping it in. Logically, it would seem there is no difference, but logic has little to do with the way taxes, duties, etc. work here in CR. Typically, they write laws/regs for a narrow, expected path and ignore the side cases, which means trying to make end runs usually ends up being more trouble than it's worth.

BTW, we had 2 Priuses before we moved down here, but sold them before moving. Not really an appropriate car for CR, IMHO. Really limits where you can travel, parts are bound to be at least twice what they are in the U.S. and good luck finding a qualified mechanic that doesn't charge a high shop rate.

My concern is the drive through Mexico which can be very dangerous.  A friend of mine her had a relative who drove down (a few years ago, when times where even better than they are now) and he was stopped, robbed of his car and EVERYTH:ING in the car.  They even left him on the side of  road naked!

First of all you do not have to leave Costa Rica once you apply for residency, UNLESS YOU WANT TO DRIVE. The leaving every 90 days is only to renew your license. I state this for others who may read this; I understand you are planning to drive here.

I was going to say the same thing crenvy said, that a Prius doesn't sound like the best car for Costa Rica. I'd sell it and buy a car here that is MADE FOR THIS MARKET. That way it is much easier to get parts for and repair. Also it would probably be a target for car theft. I'm just guessing on this but to me, luxury expensive cars are not a good idea here, just like wearing expensive jewelry, watches etc is not a good idea.

I left a car behind in the U.S. 14 years ago and I still regret that decision.  I would love to have a Prius here (even though I live in Alajuelita..haha)**  because the cost of gas is so high, it has gone well up over $5 a gallon!  Right now it is still around $4  gallon. 

**This is a private joke for Costa Ricans.., if you want in on it, let me know:  >)

God bless,
Sallyrose

That makes sense. Thank you. It is the answer I was looking for. Of course, if I want to keep it there, I would have to pay the import duties.