10K MYR New Job Offer in KL

Hi...need Ur advise on my expenses.
M planning to move to KL with my wife.
Package: 21.5K MYR per month
My wife: PhD Chemistry, fresher.
Me: 10 yrs experience in AIRCONDITIONERS industry.
Targets: staying for 5+ yrs; planning to start family there. Want to save max, keeping my living standards normal

Queries:
1) how much will be my in hand, if I don't opt for any EPF.
2) Can I manage my expenses within 10k per month, including travelling, medical emergency, halfyearly trip to home, festive expenses.
3) what are the chances for my wife to find a job there?
4) want to plan a kid there. How much will my expenses increase?
5) I wish to save at least 9800 MYR a month. Is this possible? If nt, how much will I be able to save?
Will really appreciate if u can answer my queries point wise.
It will be of great great great help.
Thanks
Vivek Baghel

Tax will be over 3000 per month once tax resident and charged at 28% flat rate until then. Difference refundable via annual tax return

Cost of living depends on lifestyle but 10k is more than sufficient for normal needs. It will depend how much you decide to spend on rent.

Impact of medical emergencies (not maternity) should be contained through insurance. Only hospitalization is covered under local policies which are based on financial indemnity.

Job for wife probably difficult to achieve but will depend on subject area and amount of published papers.

Hi Gravitas...thanks for the prompt revert.
I will be taking 1 BHK condo in a decent locàlity.
Though, Brickfields will be very near to my new office, i dont want to spend more than 2000 MYR on rent because I wish to save 9800 out of it.

Hi

Even we are new to kl
We too don't want high rent.

Any suggestions from your end regarding housing

Do let me know

Check what you can afford according to budget and travel convenience at online portals such as I property, property guru, etc and some locations are also covered by ibilik

Thanks for the online reference suggestions.

I am looking for reference and experience in person.

My requirement is near to LRT on kelan jaya line

Vivek I'll PM you some other choices based on your workplace (rather than a needle in a haystack)

Hehe...Thanks Gravitas.
It's alright   :)
See...my major concern is that will I be able to save 9800 MYR OR NOT. Second, will 10000 MYR cover all my expenses including travelling back to India atleast twice a year.
Home...I can compromise to not go beyond 2000 MYR.

Suggest looking at cost of living on Numbeo where there's an ability to compare cities. I think your household expenses will be covered by 2.5-3k per month

I think it may be difficult to keep to 2k for housing close to Sentral but look at Seputeh for examples of rentals. Brickfields is very urban and usually more expensive.

The main property portals are www.propertyguru.com.my and www.iproperty.com.my

Hi Vivek,

Just thought I'd reply your post as I am a local Malaysian with loads of local knowledge.
If your salary is RM 21.5 K per month you would be paying about 25%-28% tax.  Taking the higher bracket you will have a take-home of RM 15.5 K.  Your accommodation can vary from RM 2.5K to RM 10K depending on locality for a decent 3 bedroom condo with facilities. I can help you to get a furnished 3 bedroom condo  (1300 s ft) for RM 3.3K within 10 minutes on the LRT to KLCC. The condo is right next to an LRT station but quiet and good neighborhood.
If you eat local produce mostly and cook most of the time at home it is possible to sustain your living with RM1.5-2K.
If you opt not to pay for EPF then you may losing out on 13% of your salary from your employer which would have been contributed to the EPF.  This is actually 13% of your salary from employer and 11 % of your salary(your contribution). When yo leave the country you will be able to take all out provided you surrender your employment pass and check-out with immigration.  It is a substantial savings over a period of 5 years.  You are looking at RM 300K excluding interests.  I strongly advise you to pay EPF.  My wife who is an expat chose to pay when she joined a company here and she is now sitting on a small fortune.
I shall be more than happy to share other details with you. I can be contacted at ***

Best regards,

Robinson

Moderated by Diksha 5 years ago
Reason : Please only exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct