Moving to Bahrain in Sept.

Hello all, or anyone...
I am a Canadian currently living in the UK. I am moving to Bahrain in Sept to start a job at an international school. I don't know many people who've been to Bahrain before and ive been reading a bunch of posts on this blog that have been more than helpful. I have realized that most of the posts are older, from before any of the protests happened. I am just wondering how/if life has changed, and any information on daily life and things to do (not tourist stuff, as ive heard you can see pretty much everything in a few days or so). Any help/thoughts/ideas would be awesome
Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum Normad2011!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

I just read on a different forum from a Brit who runs his own business that he had been visited by government officials asking if his staff had been to work during the protests..They obviously have some video footage and if they are able to identify any of his employees and he lies..well, you can imagine what will happen. It's definatly not like before. It's getting a bit tidious and I am considering leaving. But it's still very much liveable here, it's calmed down again, but you feel the tension in the air.

as in, if they had been found going, or not going to work it would be problematic?
thanks for the imput. do things look like they are calming down for good? or just for a moment?

Alot of people have lost their jobs in the past few months from public sector due to their involvement. The government is cracking down on unfriendly elements. I wouldn't be surprised if the locals would have to be vetted and government approved in the future before getting a job. A bit sad really.

But yeah, things are calm. Checkpoints in order, but thats it. Well..some things happen, but they are kept at bay generally. Not so much disturbances around town as seen on tv.

cool, doesn't sound too crazy.
How about social life and just general living. im not much of a "clubbing" kinda guy but def love a few pints at a pub/bar. from what ive read this doesn't seem to be a problem. Do you find it easy to meet people? is the ex-pat community relatively friendly/open to new-comers? any info would be grand!

hi all moving to Bahrain in july to work in KHUH as a OR Manager going to be living in Amwaj(WE HOPE)moving family out from Ireland any adivce???

Howiya Kieran;)

Bahrain is a decent enough spot, although I can't comment on having a family there cos I don't have kids.  There's a fairly vibrant expat community there and it's worthwhile getting in touch with the other Irish there.  I can put you in touch with a few and from there your network will just grow.  My partner is taking up a job in September, we've been there a few times already for the F1 and to visit friends working in the Polytechnic and have had a great time, my last visit was for 4 weeks, though my timing sucked due to the declaration of the state of security.  I went looking for work but it proved difficult to meet people due to restrictions on movement and a general reluctance to travel.  If you want some contact information send me a pm with your email address and I'll mail you the details.

I've heard good thing about the KHUH, it seems like a very modern facility and I've heard it should be a nice place to work, I've even considered applying for work there myself.  I hope it works out for you, Ireland isn't working out for me at all, I was made redundant in Feb 2010 and have had no luck since then in securing anything so I'm hoping to pick something up in Bahrain or Eastern Province in Saudi between now and Sept.

@Normad,

I was there at the height of the unrest and it was a bit unsettling, but for most expats it appeared to be mostly business as usual.  The schools and colleges were closed and some businesses but for day to day stuff it was ok depending on where you were located, I was in Juffair and the were shops open for the most part, even the off-licence was open but I gather it saw unprecedented demand a couple of days after the trouble kicked off.  As for things to do that aren't touristy, do you like motorsport?  Doing trackdays at the Bahrain International Circuit is a fun way to spend a day and the karting track there is absolutely world class, I've never driven on a kart track like it.  Horse riding is another pastime that you might be interested in, I have friends that go riding some evenings.  A group of my friends out there have a classic movie club where they debate the merits of different classic movies and decide on one to watch.  It started in an apartment but the plan is to move it to a venue in the future.  Do you like sailing, diving or watersports in general?  You can do plenty in Bahrain.

The Expat community, as I already stated above, is vibrant and open, there are a lot of expats in Bahrain and they tend to congregate in the same places so it doesn't take long to make friends and contacts.  I know a few Canadians in Bahrain too so can put you in touch with them if you like.

Hope that helps.