Marriage Obligations (In DR)

Hello everyone,

Im looking for some information concerning my legal responsibilities if I were to marry a woman in the Dominican Republic. We have talked about being civilly married but I have concerns to whether or not I would be somehow legally financially responsible for her or her children (outstanding debts, child support etc). I know very well that of course she would be looking or asking for some form of financial assistance, but my concern is legal matters. I was told by someone here in the consulate that I wouldn't be held responsible for any debt prior to marriage, or afterward so long as accounts weren't joint. I've known her for years and she is a great girl but I know how some do. I'm looking for someone who possibly has some first hand experience about my concerns. Hope to hear from a few!

Welcome to the forums.

You are not legally liable for her debts before the marriage.  During and sometimes after the marriage are something else. 

If you are supporting her during the marriage you can be held responsible for debts incurred while married. .   

After requires specific actions during your divorce.

Get a pre nup agreement that is well constructed.

If you fully support her children during marriage, you could have issues after.  Ask a great Lawyer how to avoid that! 

I applaud you for asking great questions ahead of time.  I have seen many problems because most don't know how this could work.

Thanks for the reply. I will surely have to investigate furthermore before making my decision. I have known of many horror stories first hand. I won't generalize and say that all marriages there end up problematic but I just need to protect myself from any type of issues