Can country be Fake or is it People??? thats the question!!

Hello,  Expat community in Dubai,

As a profession, I travel around the world, and I see and meet many people,   Being a traveler there are certain questions I asked people who are living in the city/Country.
1) What do they think about their city or a country?
2) What do they think about the people who they live among,  Call it local or expats?
3) Their work related issues and Salaries.
4) Day-to-day life and lifestyle.

Now general consensus to all of the above, In the country and the cities I have visited so far in my life, Has been pretty NEGATIVE (Majority)

My personal opinion, Is quite positive to be honest,  However, this blog is not about me it's about you.  Since the blog has been published on UAE platform,
I would like to know what people think about the lifestyle in UAE?
Secondly, I would like to know where do they find themselves in next year or so..

Let's talk about the real issues here,  Say how you feel and why?

A wise man once said it's better to let it out than bottle it in.

alinz26 wrote:

A wise man once said it's better to let it out than bottle it in.

Not if it's an evil genie

Either way you have to let it out to know it..   anyway,  any thoughts on the Topic?

I lived in Dubai for 5 years.  Had great fun, made friends etc etc.  And before anyone comments; yes, I had the best possible lifestyle as money wasn't an issue in my job - big villa, cars, dining out, expensive vacations and so on.

Let me put it this way; it felt like the transit lounge of an airport - shiny, new and lots of distractions but practically, didn't feel real.   

In comparison, I have been in Bahrain for the last 5 years and this actually feels normal & real.   I lived in the same house in Dubai for 5 years and barely knew my neighbours.  Fast forward to Bahrain and same situation; I know literally everyone.   And before anyone asks, these were similar type of compounds and villas in both places i.e. Meadows / Emirates Hill in Dubai and Riffa Views in Bahrain.

So logically speaking, it is not me but rather the place and the people.  Shiny, fast paced, somewhat plastic and fake.   You see it for what it really is when you are outside looking in and are able to reflect on your experiences.  When you are there, you get distracted easily. 

When I first moved from Dubai, I couldn't wait to get back.  But after barely a year, I found myself turning down opportunities as I much rather preferred Bahrain over Dubai. 

Oh and one part of your question actually doesn't apply.  Living in the UAE, you don't really get a chance to meet and make friends with locals.  In comparison, I have tons of good local friends in Bahrain and Saudi.

Just a quick comment.  Let's see how the debate goes :)

Thank you so much, for quite a detailed real experience..

Since you mentioned Bahrain, I will have to check it out for myself...