Problem with return trip from Philippines to Hong Kong

Hi,
This is my first post. I'm am a retired British person currently on an extended tourist visa here in the Philippines. I have been here just over 6 months and also have a Tourist class ACR1 card. It is my intention to retire here.
I have  just returned from a 3 day trip to Hong Kong flying from Clark. I got the required ECC documents to leave.
On my return leg of the trip I was refused boarding in Hong Kong unless I could prove I had another ticket proving I was going to leave the Philippines. I had to book a ticket just to get my boarding pass. On a recent return trip to Singapore I was not asked to do this.
Has anyone had this problem and is there a website that like sets countries that have these requirements about tourists travelling back to the Philippines.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, welcome.

It is required to have a ticket out of the Philippines and up to the airlines to enforce the rules. It can get confusing if one makes a smaller trip out of the PI when already here on a longer trip, so on the return they will ask to see your ticket out.

It happened to me in Singapore once when I was on a short trip out of PI and tried to board my return flight. I actually had a flight from Philippines to the US a couple of months later on a different airline and they asked me for the info on that flight before they would let me on.

Hi ,
Thank you for the reply. I'm going to Singapore in about 4 weeks so I think I need to have a cheap single booking many months ahead to cover me. I'll regard this as a departure tax!
I'll start looking for the cheapest fares.
I'll also ask immigration when I next extend as I have not had a return flight booked to the UK for 4 months now and they have never asked about my return travel plans.

Mik

Can verify bestonwardticket.com works around this frustrating policy. Around $17 US. I researched the blogs & forums on them, worked no problem. Usually they provide a VIetnam ticket or HK..
I can apreciate why they have their policy but it's such a broad net that for those who just want to chill & extend visas as the flow goes, this is the best option for me anyway..

Thank you for your advice. I'll be using them in future.
Mike

Just returned from Australia on a return ticket from Cebu. Brought a cheap ticket from Manila to Singapore as insurance but when asked, I said I have a outbound flight booked and never had to show it. It all depends on the check-in clerk.
regards Bruce

GoDees wrote:

Just returned from Australia on a return ticket from Cebu. Brought a cheap ticket from Manila to Singapore as insurance but when asked, I said I have a outbound flight booked and never had to show it. It all depends on the check-in clerk.
regards Bruce

How much was this cheap ticket priced?

I have been asked 2 or 3 times at Heathrow. Not a problem for me though as I get them to look at my visa - SRRV

I think the price was about A$59 ( P2500 ) and was for a year in advance so can be used for ant trips up until then. I hope it will do me for about 3-4 trips.  Hope this helps
regards  Bruce

Thanks Bruce,
I used the BestOnward ticket service. I did a return trip from Clark to Singapore last week. At Changi, Singapore the automated check-in system printed an additional note on my boarding pass telling me to get it authorised. The check-in clerk requested by onward flight details which were checked and then they stamped my boarding pass. Without that I would not have got through immigration. So it would seem Changi's system is designed to check foreign nationals heading to countries other than their own to ensure they have booked flights out of that country.
Glad I got my $19 ticket!

Mike

Right. Changi is where it happened to me also, on return from a short trip out of Philippines during my longer stay.

Hello MikeHall
Hope you got the cheap ticket as far in advance as you could,  you can then use it numerous times till it use-by date.
regards  Bruce

It happened in Hong Kong in February. I was prepared for last weeks trip to Singapore. I also went to Singapore last July and no one asked anything. This time around they got me with the fully automated service. So be warned guys!