I have been asked to join friends in their move.

They plan to sell their Dutch property, move to Hungary for a better life.
He plans to bring his old Massey Ferguson 133 tractor, he also plans to bring me as a resident mechanic.
I own 5 Land Rovers from age 1961 to 1983, the 1961 and the two 1965 never had seatbelts, is this a problem? Two are being converted from RHD to LHD as it is a easy option for the older ones, what would the average cost be to import those?
What are the gun laws? Can i import and own EU deactivated firearms? And welded up bolt action rifles? Deact ammo? Denix replica? My single shot .22 Lee Enfield i wish to own legally, could i have that? All deacts, air rifles and live fire weapons will be kept in gun safes.

A lot of questions, but thank you for your time to answer them.

Landy101fc wrote:

They plan to sell their Dutch property, move to Hungary for a better life.
He plans to bring his old Massey Ferguson 133 tractor, he also plans to bring me as a resident mechanic.
I own 5 Land Rovers from age 1961 to 1983, the 1961 and the two 1965 never had seatbelts, is this a problem? Two are being converted from RHD to LHD as it is a easy option for the older ones, what would the average cost be to import those?
What are the gun laws? Can i import and own EU deactivated firearms? And welded up bolt action rifles? Deact ammo? Denix replica? My single shot .22 Lee Enfield i wish to own legally, could i have that? All deacts, air rifles and live fire weapons will be kept in gun safes.

A lot of questions, but thank you for your time to answer them.

Don't know about the guns.  You should really contact a gun club.  It's a popular sport here and you might find someone who will know.  It's not uncommon for people to fly with hunting rifles inter-EU but I believe there are plenty of restrictions on how to transport.

The LRs are another matter.  Don't know about the seat belts. Not like the UK.

If I remember correctly, cars over 30 years old and more than 70% original are classified as old timers and will get an OT number plate. But they can only be driven 10K km per annum.  Inter-EU is not a problem usually but the age of your vehicles means they won't have EU type approval which means a more intense inspection and not a straight swap of plates with fees.  Your other problem might be the emissions control.  The system here for registration fees follows the UNECE scheme and your vehicles will probably not  be compliant.  The tractor might get a farm plate but no idea absolutely.   We've discussed vehicle imports before here.  Maybe search for UNECE to find out.

You can calculate the Registration tax here (in Hungarian - use Google Translate): HU Vehicle Registration Fees

You can also look here for your emissions calculation (in English): Emissions Classification

If you are using some of your LRs for spares, they could be imported - possibly - as scrap metal.  Just a thought as one of my colleagues brought in a Jag XK150 coupe from California for restoration and it was classified scrap metal or temporary import or something which gave him an advantage in costs. 

The car was very nice when it left but it had non-standard features I think like too modern an engine, high power brakes, power steering and air-conditioning.  Nice looking vehicle but not authentic enough for collectors.  It went back to North America in the end.

The 1961 109 has the factory standard 2.25 petrol, the 1965 109 has a like for like 2.25 diesel, the 1965 88 has a 2.25 diesel but a later body style (no points lost on non originality in the UK) the 1975 88 was a 2.25 petrol but legally modified to 2.25 diesel on paper but the interiour is made from PC casing and the 101fc is a ex army ambulance that will be restored to original spec. They all have a registration and comply to Dutch / UK laws.

If possible i could start with a restoration business for old Land Rovers, my parts hoard is a truck load by itself.

Landy101fc wrote:

The 1961 109 has the factory standard 2.25 petrol, the 1965 109 has a like for like 2.25 diesel, the 1965 88 has a 2.25 diesel but a later body style (no points lost on non originality in the UK) the 1975 88 was a 2.25 petrol but legally modified to 2.25 diesel on paper but the interiour is made from PC casing and the 101fc is a ex army ambulance that will be restored to original spec. They all have a registration and comply to Dutch / UK laws.

If possible i could start with a restoration business for old Land Rovers, my parts hoard is a truck load by itself.

Now you've set me off on old cars.....

The petrol LRs should be easier than the diesels. The lack of a catalytic converter and the sensors would be an issue but as they are so old, you really need advice on them being OTs or straight imports.

If you have papers in Dutch, then it's only about the registration fee and getting someone to help you through the process.  Depends where you want to live.  Last year we used a local guy who spoke some English (but not really very usefully). We could have done it ourselves but Mrs Fluffy couldn't be bothered about it and I think she was right not to be bothered.  There were "hidden fees" we had to cough up on but that's what you get here when a guy knows a guy who needs a facilitation fee.

The British ones will need LHD headlights, speedo in kph or marked in both and fog lights on the correct side - probably OK if Dutch registered and already tested.  None of that is a biggie, just about money, parts and time.  Not sure if you'll need side indicators as that came in later before it was a requirement. 

I used to drive LRs when I was in the military.  I can see the attraction of the vehicle, especially the FC which always looked quite cool. But they always scared me to death driving it with few heavy guys in the back, their kit and a heavy trailer on.  Flat out wouldn't do more than about 60 and the steering was all over the place.  0-60 in several minutes.

I've been more into US cars recently - owned  3 now. I have an American jeep from the 1990s but I have been toying with buying a police interceptor Crown Victoria and/or a Dodge Durango pick up or station wagon just for fun. The former is the archetypal US police car and NYC taxis you see in movies.  The other one is just a Yank Tank (sorry, USA people, it's what we affectionately sometimes call them).

I should say older mechanics here are very competent as they are used to making work arounds etc but the younger ones like to just swap parts.  I had to make my own tools or search on Ebay for imports to fix my rear jeep axle as the local parts swappers didn't want to bother.  I also had to make all my own brake pipes as they didn't care enough which irritated me.  Quite hard work without a car lift.  I have to import a lot of "consumables" like brake disks, brake calipers, power steering pumps or track rod ends etc.

I've always thought about getting more use of my vehicle by renting it (or them) out to movie sets. There are plenty of film studios around me and it would only be for a bit of fun.  Not that serious about it.

Landy101fc wrote:

he also plans to bring me as a resident mechanic.

Just be aware of all the little things. Such as, if your name is not on a property where you will stay, you are considered a guest, and there is a daily "overnight" national guest tax you must pay. It is not much, but that is just an example of all the little details that if missed might cause headaches.

Landy101fc wrote:

What are the gun laws?

See this for gun laws.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/hungary

In short, it is very difficult to get permission to own a functioning gun in Hungary. The process is long and expensive. As for disabled guns, they would probably have to be converted by a licensed gun smith, and would probably need to be permanent and irreversible disabled (depends how it was done, but not sure welding the bolt alone would count if a file might be able to undo it), and checked by the appropriate authorities before import. You can import and own muzzleloader rather easily. But you can not own or possess any gun powder or primers for them.

The official stance on Gun laws in Hungary (sorry its in Hungarian)

Gun laws Hungary

Gun law in Hungary is relatively strict, regulated by Code 24/2004, governmental decision 253/2004. (VIII. 31.) and directive of the Minister of Internal Affairs 49/2004. The laws apply to weapons with a fire energy exceeding 7.5 joules (5.5 ft⋅lbf). A firearms license may be granted to those over the age of 18 who have no criminal convictions or mental disability, who are deemed reliable and can prove a necessity for owning a firearm. Permission of the police, passing a theoretical, mental and psychological test and strong justification such as membership in a hunting or rifle club is required in order to own semi-automatic rifles, hunting rifles, shotguns or handguns. Automatic rifles are prohibited.

klsallee wrote:
Landy101fc wrote:

Just be aware of all the little things. Such as, if your name is not on a property where you will stay, you are considered a guest, and there is a daily "overnight" national guest tax you must pay. It is not much, but that is just an example of all the little details that if missed might cause headaches.

That doesn't apply to friends visiting nor to renting a property longer term (i.e not obvious short term holiday lets of weeks or hotels for days).  People renting their private flats don't tend to change the names on the utility bills either.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
Landy101fc wrote:

That doesn't apply to friends visiting nor to renting a property longer term (i.e not obvious short term holiday lets of weeks or hotels for days).  People renting their private flats don't tend to change the names on the utility bills either.

Actually, it is a guest law (not a rental law). And the last time I checked*, is so vaguely written, it applies to anyone and everyone staying in someone else house overnight, if they pay for that or not, if the property is not the person's registered legal residence or they don't have their name on the property in some manner. So the fee applies, even to visiting friends.

It is widely ignored when friends visit, and even by some short term renters.... but still suppose to be paid.

*It is of course Hungary, the laws shift here too often for me to keep up on what is current all the time. Another little problem.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Actually, it is a guest law (not a rental law). And the last time I checked*, is so vaguely written, it applies to anyone and everyone staying in someone else house overnight, if they pay for that or not, if the property is not the person's registered legal residence or they don't have their name on the property in some manner. So the fee applies, even to visiting friends.

It is widely ignored when friends visit, and even by some short term renters.... but still suppose to be paid.

*It is of course Hungary, the laws shift here too often for me to keep up on what is current all the time. Another little problem.

I know down in Balaton, when people have been seen in foreign cars at the Mrs Fluffy family holiday house some local government inspector has called in.   Usually on roving patrol but it never lasts long - return is low and the costs high.  Usually when the inspector is told it's all family, they just say "oh" and go away.   Never got to the point of filling in forms or even discussing it past saying "it's family".   It's a bit of a waste of time anyway because so many foreign cars are driving around anyway who knows who is local or otherwise even with foreign plates.  Same around here - UK, German, French, Swiss and Slovak plates pretty common.

But anyway, I don't think anyone would seriously expect a family member to voluntarily pay a tax on staying in their own house.  And no-one rushes down to the town hall and registers that person even if they are there for months, never mind weeks or days, paying contributors or not.

That's the problem with people registration.  In Austria, it's 3 days. Any stay longer means a trip to the registration office.  Then you have primary and secondary addresses.  It becomes so convoluted, why bother with the burden of registration at all?   In my own country, we don't have any such reporting system whatsoever. Live where you want. There's nowhere to report either!  Job done!

fluffy2560 wrote:

But anyway, I don't think anyone would seriously expect a family member to voluntarily pay a tax on staying in their own house.  And no-one rushes down to the town hall and registers that person even if they are there for months, never mind weeks or days, paying contributors or not.!

I agree.

But the law says otherwise 30. § (1):

http://www.alsonemedi.hu/files/statics/ … 3_valt.pdf

That is basically the "problem". The current government pushes through laws without consultation. So they enact terrible laws. So the end result in the real world often is the enlisted man's gambit: Getting the order, but then forgetting it.

But the *problem* is.... when everyone is breaking the law, even stupid and trivial laws, then even real, useful and substantial laws start to mean nothing (which reminds me --- how is your property issue going?). And people start to break even more substantial laws with impunity. Till someone has an "issue" with the neighbor and because they have broken so many laws over the years, it is easy to file a complaint with real teeth. Or not -- if the local government tries to cover up their own incompetence for not enforcing the laws. Seen it happen. Gets ugly really fast.

In short, we live in a broken system. Hardly the "better life" the OP expects.

My marriage imploded last night, i get free relocation and free accomodation. I could not even afford healthcare where i was born. In the UK i could not get a council house so i am stuck. This Brexit isn't helping either. I see Hungary as my last / best hope. It might be good to get a divorce through after 2 years of separation and re marry to a local woman.

Landy101fc wrote:

My marriage imploded last night, i get free relocation and free accomodation. I could not even afford healthcare where i was born. In the UK i could not get a council house so i am stuck. This Brexit isn't helping either. I see Hungary as my last / best hope. It might be good to get a divorce through after 2 years of separation and re marry to a local woman.

Hm..... If those are your reasons.... I would think a warmer climate would be rather something to consider over Hungary. Nothing better than a warm climate to help after getting dumped by a cold heart.

If you are a Dutch Citizen you are an EU citizen, and plenty of warmer places to go that are just as "inexpensive" and accommodating without the language barriers you will have in Hungary (would be difficult to start a business here for example). Or even thoughts for Aruba or the Netherlands Antilles are an option for a Dutch citizen.

Seriously... nothing attracts a woman more than to be someone you just remarry after a divorce in a few years. Oh, no wait... Not. Might want to delete that comment..... ;)

klsallee wrote:

But the *problem* is.... when everyone is breaking the law, even stupid and trivial laws, then even real, useful and substantial laws start to mean nothing (which reminds me --- how is your property issue going?). And people start to break even more substantial laws with impunity. Till someone has an "issue" with the neighbor and because they have broken so many laws over the years, it is easy to file a complaint with real teeth. Or not -- if the local government tries to cover up their own incompetence for not enforcing the laws. Seen it happen. Gets ugly really fast.

In short, we live in a broken system. Hardly the "better life" the OP expects.

Actually  more importantly than the guest tax, my land problem is still ongoing. It's ridiculous but yes, it fits with your narrative - they also broke their own rules.  The order from the Land Registry is so  badly worded, the other side thought they'd won when in fact, when we read it, it was clear that we'd won.  OK, I don't want to be rude but the neighbours aren't capable of putting up much of an intellectual fight.  We had a big dog in the form of  a decent lawyer known to us for some years fighting our corner and really it was a no-brainer.  They hadn't got a chance. 

But Mrs Fluffy was having a rather dumb conversation over the disputed fence with the neighbour and he was still under the impression he had won and wanted us to talk to his lawyer.  What for? Decree was issued and that's the end of it.  Appeals process was not taken up, end of story.

Anyway, we're at the point now of writing the neighbour a letter setting out the path to resolution - e.g. hire an official surveyor to put pegs in the ground prior to the builder coming around to build a new fence. I'll believe it when I see it. Two steps forward, one step forward.  Patience of a saint required.

Anyway, one of the things I know from working in many post-communist countries and academic study is the way they controlled the population. They always kept the laws slightly ambiguous and always kept people on the edge of complying, so if they felt like it, the authorities could stick the boot in anytime they felt like it. In other words, there would always be ways of persecuting and prosecuting people for their own ends.   It's a lesson not lost on today's generation who never really lived under the oppression of communism. Anyone under 30 really.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Anyway, one of the things I know from working in many post-communist countries and academic study is the way they controlled the population. They always kept the laws slightly ambiguous and always kept people on the edge of complying, so if they felt like it, the authorities could stick the boot in anytime they felt like it. In other words, there would always be ways of persecuting and prosecuting people for their own ends.   It's a lesson not lost on today's generation who never really lived under the oppression of communism. Anyone under 30 really.

That nails it.

I have gotten to the same conclusion by experience.

Me - "I want to build XYZ, what are the regulations"
Them - "Just build it and we will come and and expect it."
Me - "Well, how would I know it will pass inspection if I don't have the regulations? If it is wrong, I wasted a lot of time and money."
Them - "Just build it and we will come and and expect it."***

*** Translation -- they will come out and make me part of their conspiracy to get it approved. Total BS. Which is why I have still many projects "on hold".

I will not marry easy,  even if i will never find what i want i will be trying. Like everyone i know,  i have baggage. My wife is a amputee and i stood by her to have the operation done to remove the crippled leg and build her a wheelchair ramp.
A year later i got my back injury and we split up, patched things and married in 2013. After i moved to the UK with my dutch benefits. We grew apart and even with me emigrating and start over, i will finish the house as promised,  lay the cobbles in her garden and build the blocks where the wood walls got eaten by woodworm. As for language, i started with English by pointing to a picture of what i needed. So, if i find someone it is nice, if i stay single i guess there is a Tinder app i can use.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

That nails it.

I have gotten to the same conclusion by experience.

Me - "I want to build XYZ, what are the regulations"
Them - "Just build it and we will come and and inspect it."
Me - "Well, how would I know it will pass inspection if I don't have the regulations? If it is wrong, I wasted a lot of time and money."
Them - "Just build it and we will come and and inspect it."***

*** Translation -- they will come out and make me part of their conspiracy to get it approved. Total BS. Which is why I have still many projects "on hold".

Hmmmmm...really?

We had to submit "area plans" and overview plans.  We got permission for that in writing.  Then we had construction plans and those then got approved in writing.  The house got built and we waited for the inspectors....no-one came. So Mrs Fluffy asked and they just said, send pictures so we did and then the house was approved by post.  Weirdness!  I couldn't see they wouldn't approve it.  It was all done "professionally" although sometimes I wonder what professional means as it seems to involve a lot of limited thinking and interpretation.

Landy101fc wrote:

I will not marry easy,  even if i will never find what i want i will be trying. Like everyone i know,  i have baggage. My wife is a amputee and i stood by her to have the operation done to remove the crippled leg and build her a wheelchair ramp.
A year later i got my back injury and we split up, patched things and married in 2013. After i moved to the UK with my dutch benefits. We grew apart and even with me emigrating and start over, i will finish the house as promised,  lay the cobbles in her garden and build the blocks where the wood walls got eaten by woodworm. As for language, i started with English by pointing to a picture of what i needed. So, if i find someone it is nice, if i stay single i guess there is a Tinder app i can use.

Not commenting on the reasons for your estrangement, that's your business. But just to say all of us regular commentators here in this forum are married to or with Hungarian partners. So something in Hungary has magic.  I think it's very hard not to become involved with someone in this country, language not withstanding. 

I came in late 1994 on a one year job, ended up being here about 5 years and I acquired Mrs Fluffy (or she acquired me) in early 1995.  Then we travelled the world together for about 12 years working in different places. We did loads of cool stuff in various countries all over the place. Been together ever since but now plus 2 bilingual Hungarian kids.  We also took the dictionary and started out pointing at stuff to improve our mutual language skills. Now Mrs Fluffy is fluent in English and I'm fluent at pointing.

There's a sort of saying here that "if you come alone, you won't leave alone".

Naturally YMMV!

Ja, goed zo.

Making a construction drawing, i can do that with calculations on material strength, pressure on foundations and the list of materials needed.
I used to be a neo gothic church restoration bricklayer. I know a few things, a drawing of the finished building can be made by my friends wife, she can paint decent paintings too as a artist.
If we fail we could move again, but we deal with that if we get to that.

My friend told me yesterday that i needed a Hungarian woman as they are better than a Western European one. Are there ginger haired women in Hungary? I do not just love a good personality, i worship gingers as goddesses. I do not demand much... i even can cook a decent meal like a pork or beef roast dinner.

To be fair, i did tell my wife that if possible i can live in Hungary and fly over twice a month to have a long distance relationship, we had that whilst i lived and worked in Holland and worked better. Something plan A, plan B and plan oww shyte. I can drive a rigid truck so i can plan to haul my stuff out of the UK through Dover Calais and keep on going after off loading and haul my Dutch parts / stuff.

I am looking forward to it as what i have now is killing me.

How you get things done with Mrs Fluffy is great.  Most 30 year olds could / should speak English?

Landy101fc wrote:

My friend told me yesterday that i needed a Hungarian woman as they are better than a Western European one. Are there ginger haired women in Hungary? I do not just love a good personality, i worship gingers as goddesses. I do not demand much... i even can cook a decent meal like a pork or beef roast dinner. .....How you get things done with Mrs Fluffy is great.  Most 30 year olds could / should speak English?

It's tough one.   

Some people would say most Western men are more caring and less chauvinistic than the locals but that's an exaggeration of course. Everyone is different.  But that said, your average countryside person is very different for the city dwellers.  You don't have to go very far to see things start to become a bit less sophisticated in many ways but I am biased.  I am sure that someone will pickup on that. 

30 year olds in the city and university educated will speak English or German to a reasonable level and open to new ideas and thinking. In the countryside, unlikely.  It's just not as intellectual out there.  Hardly surprising really.

Naturally red haired folks not quite so easy to come across out this way so far as I've observed.   That - I suppose - is more of a Celtic trait.  There are quite a few naturally red haired people in the Middle East (Syria for example) of all places and in some parts of Russia.

BTW, the politics here are utterly poisonous. It's a whole other topic. 

I could sum it up mainly  that the xenophobic base is mostly in the country side, those that aren't in the countryside and xenophobes are 60+, easily manipulated and
less internationalised.  The liberal free thinkers (of any age) are in the cities.

Landy101fc wrote:

My friend told me yesterday that i needed a Hungarian woman as they are better than a Western European one. Are there ginger haired women in Hungary? I do not just love a good personality, i worship gingers as goddesses. I do not demand much... i even can cook a decent meal like a pork or beef roast dinner.

The Hungarian ladies will snap you up. .They adore other European males.
Hair dye is fairly inexpensive too and pork is cheap.

My MIL was from an old Hungarian family and had beautiful red hair, long legs and a nice body of course she is a bit too old for you and dead as well.
My son who is half Hungarian and 1/4th Ruysn/Slav is a red head with green eyes like his granny was.
You do not find too many red headed Hungarians these days, everyone is more mixed with other EU races even if they claim to be Hungarian, many have relations in other countries like Germany or a Baltic country.
Red heads are rare in Hungary.Most red heads in Hungary get it from a bottle not from mother nature.
Hungarian wives... hmmm going to get some hate mail now.
My son married a HU women when he was in his early 20's, turned into a witch in short order, divorced after she used up all his money and time and got her free pass into the USA.So you could say I am baised.
He now is married to a LOYAL Japanese women, who would not be having affairs behind his back as his ex did, with both men and women on top of it!..
Long story in fact my son worked with one of his wives almost girlfriends...Just saying the old fashioned girls in Hungary are also a rare thing to find these days.
Hungarian women are hard on themselves, things must be going somewhere and you must want to improve yourself and be a go getter or they will soon dump you for greener pastures, just a note to put in your mind for future reference.
Can't believe any stereotype about any culture. Not all HU women are domestic in nature and not all American women are wild street hookers.
In the modern world we all have had exposure to the internet and in many ways that had changed everyone's view of life and their personal expectations .
I know HU women want the best for their families as all women do and that means wanting the best out of you as well.
No slacking about, have to improve yourself and never stop doing so.
Not much peace when you are expected to fulfill another persons dreams.
As a western man you must also prove yourself worthy and of course you should also have the know how to make allot of money.
Money is important to every HU women I've ever known, they can make their own money and they expect you do do so as well.
Like I said, I'm going to get hate mail but it is true.
Even my HU husband said HU women are too much for him.Coming from a guy with a HU mom and 2 sisters.

Another thing that is common in Hungary is couples meeting in school and then getting married.
Most couple we know in HU met when they were teenagers, some broke up only to get together after many years and even after other marriages.
No idea how old your age group is but in HU usually a women is a career minded single lady in her 30's or divorced with a ready made family.
No idea how you feel about a divorced person who may have children to raise.
Not something that always works out in the end.
It is easy to have people say you should meet a nice Hungarian girl but even the Hungarian men are wondering where they are hiding.
The smart ones are already in a relationship or have left the country, those left behind are not able to leave for various reasons but if they have a chance to leave most would go.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It is easy to have people say you should meet a nice Hungarian girl but even the Hungarian men are wondering where they are hiding.
The smart ones are already in a relationship or have left the country, those left behind are not able to leave for various reasons but if they have a chance to leave most would go.

Yes, exactly.  We know a few middle aged people who are on the look out but there's no-one around. 

I was just on a plane from BUD to the UK and it was full of Hungarians.  I suddenly realised after noticing the zoo at the airport in the UK, that it was the school holidays in the UK last week and so everyone went to Hungary with their kids to visit their friends and family and they are now all going back to work in the UK. 

They weren't all young either - some over 60.   If you can get 3-6 x the salary, it's a no-brainer.  I expect some village populations to be decimated for at least two generations.  Total brain drain.

Just flew into HU from the UK myself and noticed some HU on the flight.
Not exactly a "brain drain" in my dumb opinion... Taking "cuts" in a line or queue doesn't score as a brainer in my book...
I'm sure I'd never ever move to HU if not for my long time marriage to a HUngarian citizen. A bit too much overall for me in general here.
What one puts up with for love....
All good, just need to pop open some HU wine and everything will be fine...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Just flew into HU from the UK myself and noticed some HU on the flight.
Not exactly a "brain drain" in my dumb opinion... Taking "cuts" in a line or queue doesn't score as a brainer in my book...
I'm sure I'd never ever move to HU if not for my long time marriage to a HUngarian citizen. A bit too much overall for me in general here.
What one puts up with for love....
All good, just need to pop open some HU wine and everything will be fine...

Ah, well, if you were transit in LHR (London Heathrow - West of London) on say, BA, then no you wouldn't have seen many Hungarians.  That's because they all fly to/from other London airports, like London Luton (LTN) (North of London). London Gatwick (LGW) (South of London) or London Stansted (STN) (more North East of London).  Collectively with LHR, known as LON on the web site searches.

Those airports are all serviced by the low cost airlines (1/2 price BA to LON) like Wizzair, Ryanair and Easyjet.   That's why I am using them.  It's a no brainer on cost grounds.

I myself was on the plane back to HU on Saturday from LTN and it was busy as usual but strangely I had a complete row to myself.  All good!

There are so many airports in that corner of the UK with scheduled services.  Quite incredible really it's so densely packed.

Anyway, welcome back to HU-land.  The only obvious good news is that spring is here almost, the temperature is going up, my daffodils are appearing finally ( one month later than the UK), there are buds on the trees, days are more usefully longer and birds are tweeting.  It's almost warm enough to be outside with a T-shirt on.

Suffering serious,"culture shock" ATM, do not wish to go outside and see anyone or anything but forced myself to do so.
Missin' me USA a bit, having my son pick up and actually move to Japan last week about did me in emotionally...
Oh well, at least he is following his dreams.
Never thought he would go through with it but he did.
He is happy to be there so at least that is a small comfort.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Suffering serious,"culture shock" ATM, do not wish to go outside and see anyone or anything but forced myself to do so.
Missin' me USA a bit, having my son pick up and actually move to Japan last week about did me in emotionally...
Oh well, at least he is following his dreams.
Never thought he would go through with it but he did.
He is happy to be there so at least that is a small comfort.

I suppose you next trip will be to Japan to see your grandchild?!  Japan is supposed to be a fascinating place.  My older kids were there, one of them for 2 years as a teacher and another one on holiday.   From what I've heard it's interesting but very expensive.

Yes, suppose that will be one of my next big trips one of these days.
Expensive yes but thankfully my DIL's family is traditional and they are all living together in a Ohana style home in a beautiful S. part of Japan in their own home near a river. Funny though his FIL has his own second house where is goes to escape the family sometimes. Different culture, no man cave, just another house for guy stuff up in the hills.
To get to the main hub of the city it costs about $26. round trip for 2 people.
I guess the 350 forints in Hungary or 700 round trip isn't so bad after all.
Ohana, is a Hawaiian term for family style home, 2 homes in one. Two stories high with 2 different living areas and kitchens.
Everyone has their roles to play in a family there, the mom does the cleaning but no cooking, the other SIL is a former sushi chef who plans and buys all items for meals and cooks a family sit down dinner every night for everyone. The father works while the granny watches the children. Sort of sweet really.
Suppose it was this way here in Hungary as well at one time.