Work permit/visa

Can anyone offer any help?

I've been offered a job in HCMC and am starting to look into the work permit regulations with the help of the company. Some of the information I have been given seems to state that a work permit can take up to 3-4 months to process and that the costs do start to mount up after a while.

My contract is only for 6 months as a consultant so should i bother?

any help or advice would be great

many thanks

josh

Yes it does take 3-4 months or longer to get a work permit, and yes it's very expensive. If you know you're only on a 6 month contract, come here on a tourist visa. Can get a one month or 3 month tourist visa and renew it for another 3 months. That'll get you your 6 months for your job. You may have to leave Vietnam and come back to get the renewal, but not always. That situation changes as often as the weather here.

Agreed with saigonmonkey, there obviously pitfalls going down that route, but more a risk for your employers than you.

That aside is the contract likely to extend? Either way your employer should be sorting your visa out for you.

Yes, SAIGONMONKEY is right. That is the best way you should do. If you do not want to pay for that, you should negotia with your employer and they must do it for you.

hello im pakistani can any one tell me if i got 15days vietnam visa how can i extent my visa for 6month or 1year and how much fee? plz rply me at [email protected]

danger_king420 wrote:

hello im pakistani can any one tell me if i got 15days vietnam visa how can i extent my visa for 6month or 1year and how much fee? plz rply me at [email protected]

Go to the Immigration Police on Nguyen Du to extend.

Or a visa agent who can handle it.

YOU MUST FILE THE EXTENSION AT LEAST TWO DAYS before your visa expires otherwise you risk having to leave.

OR you can do a border run to Phomh Penh and get a 6-month visa.

Pakistan, India, Nigeria and a few other countries are on immigration watch lists and you might be required to prove you have a ticket out of the country

Good advices, I think!
I supposed you should contact a Travel Agent, as the Immigration Office will probably refuse your application if no one sponsor your stay in Vietnam.

Jaitch wrote:
danger_king420 wrote:

Go to the Immigration Police on Nguyen Du to extend.

Or a visa agent who can handle it.

YOU MUST FILE THE EXTENSION AT LEAST TWO DAYS before your visa expires otherwise you risk having to leave.

OR you can do a border run to Phomh Penh and get a 6-month visa.

Pakistan, India, Nigeria and a few other countries are on immigration watch lists and you might be required to prove you have a ticket out of the country

Let me know if you need to know the procedure in more details. I did several applications for my clients then sure can give you some practical advise. And no worry, no money involved here.

Hi, Dinh, do you know how to get a 3-month visa extension in HCMC?

Sophie in HCM wrote:

Hi, Dinh, do you know how to get a 3-month visa extension in HCMC?

Lua Dinh 25 July 2014 06:00:49

Hi all - I've just moved to NYC and will be here for sometime. Hope to meet some good friends here...

:top:

No. I don't agree with the suggestion that he/she should get a multiple business entry visa, go out and come back after a 3 month interval, because
1) You have to pay visa on arrival ($50) each time (as I remember);
2) Before expiry of visa, you might (or might not) be expelled from Vietnam; Therefore, you might (or might not) be required to by a return tickect; it cost you at least $200 more;
3) Your company might not able to expense the salary as a legal cost; You might not be able to protect yourself as an employee under law; etc., just because you are not legally a staff of the Company;
4) Time to obtain work permit is around 1 month time. Subject to your document preparation.

The procedures for work permit is likely as follows:
1) You obtain a multiple business entry visa (3 months). Your company need to provide a gurantee in order for you to enter into Vietnam);
2) You provide doucuments, i.e. health record; criminal record; your pictures; application filed;
3) You obtain the work permit. It might up to 2 years, subject to your contract term, your passport validity etc.,

p/s: You might need, after the work permit, to obtain long - term visa (temporary residential card) at police.

Your comment is most welcome.

Thanks.

Le

My friend is on his first Business visa to Vietnam valid for 3 months. He works as a part time freelancer. He doesn't have enough documents for work permit. What is your advise, he is planning to live in Vietnam for one year.

So your potential employer is helping you figure out how to get a work permit as opposed to telling you what documents you need to give them so that they they can get your work permit.

A six month contract? Have you seen it? What benefits and pay are offered? Paid housing, health plan, a driver, some form of personal assistant to help you navigate life here (buying groceries for example), supplying a work permit at their cost, orientation, language lessons? How many thousands is the pay, any end of contract bonus? Flight paid? Visa paid?

You cannot get a work permit. Your employer has to do that. Your post suggests they don't know how to do that.

A work permit takes about a month or less.

Thanks for your kind response. No facility at all except free accommodation. Salary is $1100 and all other things have to manage by ownself. The employer recommended to make a business visa of six months.

If you have a degree post your resume on on-line websites. Avoid Chinese recruiters. Read up on Korea and China. You'll have a real EFL job in about a month. A business visa does not allow you to work legally in VN. It is a common scam to avoid getting you a work permit.

A TEFL cert. of some sort is not required (outside VN) but it helps. Don't worry about experience. Read up and make a sound choice as best you can.

Serious Teachers. com for example.

Lots of sites. Search for EFL or ESL jobs, post a resume and you'll have about 30 or 40 job offers within days.

Never work anywhere without a work permit. You will never get a fair wage or benefits commonly available to those who do.

$1000 USD a month is less than half of what you can make not to mention the benefits when you can work legally.