Filtration/purification for potable water from kitchen tap

We are looking for recommendations for water filtration/purification for the kitchen.  Yes, we can haul bottles of water but would prefer to simply have potable water from the kitchen tap.  What are the experiences of others who have taken this approach?

I have a system... as do my friends ... ultra violet light to kill bacteria
with a filter for debris.
It's a 'whole house' system - $2,000US

Eco-Serve in Sosua.... wonderful service
had it for years and never one problem from family or friends - stomach wise

Use my name....
Telephone:  809-571-3555
Email:  [email protected]
Store:  Plaza Internacional #6, Sosua, Dominican Republi

They speak English

Great info.  A proper system will be expensive!   Most just use the blue bottles and buy a bebedero.

Perfect! 

Since you are on a roll, do you have suggestions for solar companies too?  We are on the grid but with regular afternoon brownouts and want to upgrade our primitive solar backup system.  We have encountered JB Solar and Solarwave on the internet but have not contacted anyone yet.

That company... Trojan is the parent - does the water in NYC
Big Cdn company

Yes, I am always on a roll... I have studied / experienced all this grief

Solar... here in Cabrera - Richard Ellis -  English speaking - Cdn/American

Grec......... http://www.grec-energy.com/

He did my system and many other... here and in Haiti

Thanks, again.  We will be gathering knowledge and quotes.

All-
Long term, viable, clean water:

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Check them out and compare, but drinking water without a filter anywhere on earth is questionable, at  best. ~William

I had a system that was being offered for sale, US made, two filter system that eliminated the ultra-violet light element. Can't seem to locate it now but it was being advertised on Facebook and a company out of Santiago was the point of contact. It was on sale for just under $10,000 pesos. It was a good system and I was familiar with it as I examined in person when in Arizona back in Nov. I will keep searching and if I locate the ad I will post the info. My wifes daughter here in Moca have a one filter system (no unlta violet light) that hey use and while I hesitate drinking water there, they have been using for several years....

Suit yourself....
but simply filtering w/o using ultra violet for bacteria may not work for all stomachs

Remember the field run off water is what we use normally....
In streams - wells - everywhere
It runs past /through the cow manure in the fields

Why do you think the Dominicans soak their vegetables in Cloro or Iodine before eating ??

Somebody sprayed those vegetables with water - dirty water

I know people who won't /can't eat lettuce or tomatoes b/c of the high water content..
bad water content

For me - ultra violet
and I repeat - not ONE instance of stomach in my family or guests since installation

Yes, I totally understand which is why I spoke to a company rep in AZ about no ultra violet purification. The new technology in the filters apparently is what purifies to the same extent ultra-violet light does. However, I will be collecting more info beroe I build and will certainly be going to the guaranteed safety side when I purchase but it remains an option right now.

I considered a whole house reverse osmosis system but then decided that the $2000 USD cost was a little more than I could go for so I paired.it down and went with a 50 gallon per day under the sink system with UV light and 5 stage filter system.  This provides me with potable water at the kitchen sink and to the refrigerators ice and cold water dispenser.  I bought the system 8 months ago in the Capital at the American Ferriteria for about 25,000DP. And have had no problems so far so long as you keep up on the filter replacement schedule.

Great info!

Thanks, OldBaldy.  So you have a tank close to the sink to store the water?

Yep the whole system including the pressure tank fits under the kitchen caninet below my sink.

Here is a link to a water filtration company found in the Dominican Republic.

http://coway.com.do/

I installed a reverse osmosis system in my house and it works perfectly, we get clean and safe drinking water with no weird small particles. Perfect for washing clothes, dishes, and food. It is even better than distilled water because distillation doesn't remove other impurities such as minerals, unlike reverse osmosis. I've read it in this article, you can see for yourself,  I am happy with the water we have at home.