Clearing your belongings through customs in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

During one's big move abroad, shipping personal belongings to the host country can be stressful. Customs regulations differ from one country to another and you never quite know what to expect when trying to recover your belongings once you're settled. How about helping expats considering moving to Saudi Arabia by answering some questions about custom regulations?

What are the procedures to get your belongings cleared by customs once you have arrived in Saudi Arabia? Who do you have to contact and how do you get in touch with them? How do you go about from there?

How long does this process usually take?

How do you then carry your belongings to your new home?

Are there any items that are restricted by customs in Saudi Arabia?

How much does it cost to get your belongings cleared by customs in Saudi Arabia? Does the cost change depending on the amount or on certain specific items?

Do you think it is better to seek the help of a contractor to get your belongings cleared in Saudi Arabia?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I would like to share with you my experience. Even though Laws, Regulations, and Policies are stipulated to facilitate people's and nations' life, the variation and differences of these matters will either be helpful or become dreadful.

To help you understand Saudi more, please find below my replies to your questions.

What are the procedures to get your belongings cleared by customs once you have arrived in Saudi Arabia?
Custom clearance depends on type and nature of goods being cleared. Usually, you will be able to know this from their websites.

Who do you have to contact and how do you get in touch with them? How do you go about from there?
The best option for expats who are new to Saudi and would want to have a reliable service without being looped into an unknown cultural or domestically ambiguous situations is going through the simple and direct options like Fedex, Aramex, UPS and DHL. Although it might be expensive, but it is reliable, guaranteed and saves time.

How long does this process usually take?
It depends on source and destination. Gulf countries, for example, take less time and money than other middle-eastern countries and middle-eastern countries take less time and money than other Asian countries and so on.

How do you then carry your belongings to your new home?
Usually the shipping and freight companies are responsible of the packaging and delivery of installation to the new location.

Are there any items that are restricted by customs in Saudi Arabia?
Most known prohibited items, e.g. guns, are restricted here in Saudi Arabia. No restrictions on furniture, appliances, electronics and the like.

How much does it cost to get your belongings cleared by customs in Saudi Arabia? Does the cost change depending on the amount or on certain specific items?
What ever charges are associated with the goods being cleared will be charged a 5% VAT plus customer duties that I am not aware of. This can better replied by the couriers and freight companies.

Do you think it is better to seek the help of a contractor to get your belongings cleared in Saudi Arabia?
Yes. The companies working in Saudi have a better chance of clearing things faster and they are well aware of the saudi system and regulations.

I hope my answers are of use and you find helpful.

Best Regards,
Abdelkadir Imam

Hi,

Any small mistakes might land in prison or dead penalities. Better contact your saudi embassies in countries prior taking action.

They will guide you.

Dear sister.

Never experienced. I managed to arrange all house hold (from A to Z ) from local market, prior my family/ kids arrival in kingdom. Hope some one can share experiences.

Kind regards,

Following this thread +