Compulsory things to do for the first few weeks in Riyadh

Dear forummers

My name is ANI and I am a Singaporean. If everything's okay, I will be starting to live and work in Riyadh by early of March 2019. I can't wait for that and very excited.

Thank you in advance and deeply apologies if this topic is duplicating other existing ones, I wish to have your kind assistance, if you guys could share what are normally things need to be done in the first few weeks when have reached the country.

It just too many information I have read but I still not able to figure out which one comes first, which one later.

Please, your kind sharing shall be highly appreciated.

Sincerely
ANI

Well:

1) Get a SIM card on arrival based on your border number that they will write in the passport by hand
2) Do the medical and apply for Iqama.  When you get it,  scan and keep both soft and hard copies - this is needed for literally everything.  Memorize the number
3) Ask company to apply for a multiple exit re-entry visa so you can travel out without issues
4) Once you have Iqama, register on MOI online portal i.e. Absher.  Then go to a kiosk machine and activate it.  Download app.  This allows you to track all your information i.e. Iqama, exit re-entry expiry as well as apply for stuff from within
5) Get driving license and buy a car if needed
6) Open bank account
7) Get medical insurance card from your company
8) Get a place to live
9) Apply for family visas if that is applicable to you

Just a short summary.

Thanks XTang. appreciate it.

I am quite surprise when "get a place to live" is sitting at number 8. That said, Item 1 to Item 7 are priorities before you can actually find place and signed rental agreement?

I already have International Driving permit issued in home country as well as International Driving License. That said, I will still need to get one which is the Saudi Driving License?

I am planning to rent a car. For a decent sedan car, what is the average rent / month? my budget is SAR 2000/month

XTang wrote:

Well:

1) Get a SIM card on arrival based on your border number that they will write in the passport by hand
2) Do the medical and apply for Iqama.  When you get it,  scan and keep both soft and hard copies - this is needed for literally everything.  Memorize the number
3) Ask company to apply for a multiple exit re-entry visa so you can travel out without issues
4) Once you have Iqama, register on MOI online portal i.e. Absher.  Then go to a kiosk machine and activate it.  Download app.  This allows you to track all your information i.e. Iqama, exit re-entry expiry as well as apply for stuff from within
5) Get driving license and buy a car if needed
6) Open bank account
7) Get medical insurance card from your company
8) Get a place to live
9) Apply for family visas if that is applicable to you

Just a short summary.

Well it is in no particular order but without an Iqama, you pretty much can't do anything e.g. can't sign rent contracts.  Temporarily on company letter yes but not permanently.   Once you get Iqama, you will need to have Saudi driving license - browse the forums for how to get one.

You should be able to get a car within that budget.

Thanks  XTang

I really appreciate your kind feedbacks.

XTang wrote:

Well it is in no particular order but without an Iqama, you pretty much can't do anything e.g. can't sign rent contracts.  Temporarily on company letter yes but not permanently.   Once you get Iqama, you will need to have Saudi driving license - browse the forums for how to get one.

You should be able to get a car within that budget.