Social security

Hi everyone
I am British searching for a job.
I am i entitled to Spanish healthcare whilst I am without a job and not contributing ? Or do I need to pay into the system in order to get healthcare
Thank you

State healthcare is now free to everyone in Spain whether you are a legal or non legal resident.

That is basically correct, regarding anyone living in Spain who does not have health care from any source. It would not apply to a UK pensioner who at present is entitled to cover via an S1 (that is DWP paying Spain 4,700 p.a. for them and a lesser amount for their dependants aged under 65). 

I understand there have been some problems with obtaining such cover free cover in Spain.  To hear the experience of anyone who has obtained such care would therefore be helpful.

Are you sure even if you have no job?
So you mean I just to register with the social security and get the social security number?

This seems confusing. Why does the UK government continue to pay taxpayers money to Spain for something that is now free.

Does seem a tadd odd

Perhaps as you raised it you could give DWP a call on + 44 191 218 1999 and let us know !

Johncar wrote:

Does seem a tadd odd

Perhaps as you raised it you could give DWP a call on + 44 191 218 1999 and let us know !

John, do you think anyone would get a straight answer?  :unsure:/:D

Sim,   
                 Ye of little faith

This is info I was sent by DWP when I made an enquiry re how much they pay for our 'free' medical care in Spain: 

For each person qualified the DWP currently pays a flat rate of £4,172.59  a year. 

They also pay a flat rate for each qualified person's  dependants according to age:- 
        For those under 19 years old it is     £585 p.a. ;   
        Aged 20 to 64    £802;
        over 65      £1,100. (for those who do not qualify in their own right, so including say
                                                                         a dependant who never paid into the system)

The amounts are paid each year irrespective how much or little use is made of the service.