Newbie here. Just joined. Arriving July 5, 2019

Hi, having just joined, I wanted to say hello to all of my new expat friends that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting... yet. I am a US citizen born in LA, grew up in San Diego and currently living in rhe desert southwest in Albuquerque, New Mexico. And in case you're wondering, New Mexico ain't new and it ain't in Mexico, as the teeshirt says! 😆

I'm 64 (feeling like 34) and retired. I'm also very healthy and active as well as single, or should I say divorced (back in 2009). I love photography and writing. So, as a part time photographer and travel writer with published work, I keep as busy as I want to. My work can be seen at tropicXplorer.com if you're interested.

I actually lived in Cebu City for 2 1/2 years from 2011 through 2013. Now I'm coming back to Cebu and I think I just may stay. I sure would like to meet some friendly folks of any nationality. Maybe we can hoist a mug of beer, have a cocktail or three or even lunch.

Ayala Mall in Cebu City was always a favorite hangout as was the Montebello or the Waterfront Hotel for dinner. Tambuli Beach Resort, Blue Water and Plantation Bay were always fun too.

Well, I'm looking forward to meeting some new expats online here and in Cebu as well as lots of Filipinos... male and female! See you in early July.

Salamat! 😎

Welcome to the forum asianXplorer.

Cheers, Steve.

Thank you for the welcome bigpearl. 😊

Welcome asianXPlorer, it's good to have you. Your favorite hangouts are still here.. but the congestion and air quality is a lot worse, even just in the past 5 years. The construction is going full bore and the population of the cities is increasing rapidly..  but the roads aren't, haha. But you will still enjoy it I am sure.

Thanks. It's good to know some things are still as I remember them. I was recently told that the traffic had gotten worse. Hard to believe since it was horrible back in 2013, but with local kids growing up and now driving not to mention more expats relocating to Cebu, I kind pf expected it. Can't exactly widen the streets or make more... too many houses and sari-sari stores would have to be sacrificed!!

Welcome asianXplorer! Agreed on building or widening but with the sheer numbers of tall condo buildings being raised in the middle of these little shanty towns, they might consider razing some of them to do just that.
The new Beepneys are cool but, they should consider getting some full blown busses in town at least on the main drags to ferry more people at once. Enforcing traffic laws might be a novel idea that would help too but, WTH do I know. Do they even have traffic laws here? Doesn't seem like it. Hahaha Pollution is off the chain also.
Ayala is pretty much the same except for Metro burning. The market is finally back open though. Plenty to see and do here if you don't mind waiting in traffic for 20-30 minutes to go a mile. Hehehe Having said that, I still like Cebu and the Country. I have adopted a policy of not being in a hurry to do anything, get anywhere or to get anything accomplished. Never thought I would ever be able to say that as I was one of the most impatient people on earth before coming here. Live, learn and grow I suppose. :)

Thanks Tim_L. Good news about the dept. sore reopening after that fire. Yeah, patience is a virtue especially in Cebu with that traffic. Aircon taxis were always my preferred way of getting around in the past. Take a catnap and you're across town in no time or so it seems. Never wanted to own my pwn car there since taxis are so cheap and come with a chauffer, lol.

Ah the Desert,

Living 13 years in Las Vegas, I loved the Desert. During rainy season here in Pasig City we get more rain in one day than we got in one year in Nevada.

I'm ready to go back to a sane world.

Hello and welcome.  Might catch you for a drink in Ayala if I am still here, "The Social" is good but "Gerry's" is cheaper. Things are pretty much as described in all the posts. Taxis usually are cheaper than Grab (Philippines Uber) in the major areas.
regards  Bruce

You planning on leaving Bruce?

We would like to do 3-4 years teaching English in Cambodia before retiring full time to Cebu.
regards  Bruce

Ahhh, I see. Good luck! I hope that all goes well.