I've overdosed on bad news !!!!!

Hi,

Like here in the United States we mostly hear about bad news and every so often a feel good story.  I'm single married once and planning on spending 4 to 6 months in your country to possibly  live there.
Not a big city guy and just started retirement but ready to travel a little.  So as I've gone back and forth between your wonderful country and Thailand to set up a home base to explore, all I seem to read about is horror stories about  filipino wives and how they steal money.  You would have to know my humor but I'm not coming to your country or any other country to find a wife but I might run if a Filipino woman spoke to me........again folk it's my humor so will people share with me some wonderful stories about your loving Filipino wife & family.  Make me smile & come sooner

Thanks Joseph

Hello Joseph

If you simply keep your brains out of your pants, it is possible for any intelligent guy to find a Filipina who will not steal your money .....

JB pal wrote:

Hi,

Make me smile & come sooner

This is not a quality you want to reveal to any Filipinas.  Kinda like leading with your chin in  boxing.

You started posting on here 10 months ago about coming to the Philippines or Thailand.  Time to decide.  Since you are coming as a tourist and said 4-6 months trip I would advise October to March, avoiding the rainy season, typhoon season, and the hottest, most humid weather.  The heat here is not as dry as Las Vegas.

Most people here have lovely tales to tell of the love and friendliness they have found here.  Hardly any of these stories start in bars.  It is a poor country, so you should expect to be viewed as a millionaire.   And since a million pesos is worth less than $20,000, you really are one here.  So you will be a target to some as a financial savior for their family.  Myself and many others had to sift through many beautiful Filipinas to find the right one.  After 24 years of marriage  I am grateful to live here with my wife and amongst her family.  It is cheap enough to live here so that we can make improvements to our house and help family members when required and still live on our SS benefits.

There are informal expat groups in most areas of the country, even out here in the boondocks about a dozen meet every 4 to 6 weeks for lunch.  Once you decide where and when you might want to contact local expats to help give you some inside info on wherever you are starting. 

Good luck.

PS There is plenty of bad news here also, just watch the TV Patrol nightly news.  The news is in Tagalog,  which I don't understand, so it does not bother me.

JB pal wrote:

Hi,

Like here in the United States we mostly hear about bad news and every so often a feel good story.  I'm single married once and planning on spending 4 to 6 months in your country to possibly  live there.
Not a big city guy and just started retirement but ready to travel a little.  So as I've gone back and forth between your wonderful country and Thailand to set up a home base to explore, all I seem to read about is horror stories about  filipino wives and how they steal money.  You would have to know my humor but I'm not coming to your country or any other country to find a wife but I might run if a Filipino woman spoke to me........again folk it's my humor so will people share with me some wonderful stories about your loving Filipino wife & family.  Make me smile & come sooner

Thanks Joseph

Hello Joe, I have been living here for 3 years come next month. Over that time i have dated and lived with a number of nice Filipinas. But when they want to take it to the next step and get married and have a child i honestly tell them that at 65 yrs. old it would not be fair  to the kid or her because i don't figure to be around to see the kid grow up at my age. I discovered i am more content just dating and marriage is not my thing. I have a great social life and my freedom when i need it. One more thing i have found is that i have never met a Filipina that was not broke. The majority use their salary to take care of their parents and to help other siblings get a higher education. Does not matter if she is a nurse,  school teacher, or mall worker  the salaries are just not adequate. My dates are not demanding or choosy. A movie and dinner at a fast food restaurant, or going to a club to listed to live music  after  are appreciated. We are all responsible for our finances . I have my pension, a respectable saving account for any emergency. I choose where to spend my money. My plan is to enjoy the last leg of my life my way and so far i am doing that here. God speed in your travels.

Well as stated about brains and pants etc is good advice. If your really concerned about failing to find a good woman on your own.
Then  get to know a few guys [ probably start with expats ] on the ground in whatever part your looking to settle in and look around meet people and generally get a feel for the country. Take it slow, I would be looking at the more  well educated who are secure in their career.
As for me I have been married  for over 30 years, dont actually live in the Phils but regularly visit and we own a couple of houses there and often the whole family goes  to the Phils, our kids and their kids and a good time is had by all. In fact we are planning another major family holiday there some time this year or early next year.
But its like all relationships take your time, look around. Dont flash your wealth around but at the same time dont a skinflint. I find if you stay in middle of the road accommodation and eat out modestly. They will for the most part admire your wisdom of not wasting your money and through that you gain a measure of respect.

hope this helps

It was like that a bit when I first moved here but after I pretty much pissed all of the family off they quit begging and now leave me alone.

Hello Dude,

It depend on your decision if you really want to get marry to a filipina to raise a family or you just want to date without raising family.

I will advise you not to show off your affluent as you will be tagged an ATM ( Automated Teller Machine) where the filipina ladies will get money from at their will.

Secondly, Find time to study the person you want to date and know her so well or get to know the expat here who can direct you on good pact.

Filipinas Ladies are so desperate to date foreigner as they belief foreigners are loaded with huge sumof money when coming to the phils.

Even when you date, be careful not to reveal what you have as they can set you up with law and collect your properties and money.

ACT WISELY.

Those who are not broke do not randomly appear. Their surnames will be telling. Streets are named after their grandparents.

Indeed, the majority of them that we see on the streets are not well to do. There are secret millionaires but I'm guessing you are not looking to source them out.

If you want to meet good people, you must have something that is of value to network with them. Otherwise, it is easy to fall into the trap of that-foreigner-who-is-being-used. Sometimes unknowingly as well, because of their perception.

I have met foreigners who ruined their chances too lol. There was once I was out with my Filipina friends who have much wealthier background (family in politics) than regular people on the streets. I tried to hook these foreigners up with one of them. However, they blew it because of the usual prejudice towards Filipina. And of course, she felt offended by their judgement.

I'm lucky. I met the Love of my life online back in September. I lived in Thailand for years and met all kinds of girls, China as well. If your intention is to find a partner in life, they can be found anywhere. Money talks everywhere, and then there are people that aren't ruled by money.  I've known many women, especially in the States. None compare with my girl here. I just got lucky. And I think other  people get lucky too when their heart is in the right place.

I'm recently retired and am looking into being an expat in the Philippines.

How does one possibly meet a mutual expat to spend time showing the lay of the land  ?

I'm recently retired and am looking into being an expat in the Philippines.
How does one possibly meet a mutual expat to spend time showing the lay of the land ?
-@jimmymac464

I guess that would depend on where you are. For example, it seems that if you are in Dumaguete you would probably bump into many ex pats in the coffee shops or bars. The place seems to be overloaded with ex pats and would not be my area of choice to retire but they do seem to have travelled around. Do you have any idea where you want to retire in the Philippines or are you planning to scout out a few places?

I have met local expats at Catholic Mass and at the cemeteries on November 1, a national day to visit deceased ancestors.

jimmymac464 said. . . . I'm recently retired and am looking into being an expat in the Philippines.

How does one possibly meet a mutual expat to spend time showing the lay of the land ?

First things first . . . .

Do you have enough assets or steady monthly income to support yourself?

Are you in good health?

Hey Joseph...  Looks like all good advice above... Definitely don't think with the wrong brain, and Definitely don't flaunt the dollars.   I have to say... After 28 years being married to my high school sweetheart, and dealing with cheating for half of it, then ending it, meeting a scammer here in Manila area... Ending that after my 4th visit here... then meeting my sweet, amazing, stunning beautiful little Filipina in a small province in Mindanao... I am WAY WAY happier now than my entire wedded life, and she has not change even in the slightest in the 3.5 years we have been together...  There are DEFINITELY scammers galore in Philippines... I would suggest travel a bit... get away from the cities... Wander through some markets, have some casual dates... and just TAKE YOUR TIME.  I jumped at the first beautiful girl that batted her eyes at me in Manila, and 500,000 pesos later found out she had a guy the entire time that I had been supporting when I was back in the U.S... Thankfully i caught it after only about  year... and didn't lose that much money...

I learned the hard way, but trust me... if, or when you find a good Filipina... it is AMAZING... they are Nothing like the spoiled western woman, and will take such amazing care of you... Good Luck, Take Your Time, use your big brain, and get out of the city, and look around the provinces... Good Luck Brother! 

Reading OP's Joseph post that was three years ago (Feb 2019), I guess he succumbed to the newbee's vast wasteland, never to return.

Also Joseph's last post was on Nov 2020 and this is what he said " Why put up topics & posts that are 5&10 years old."

@Cherryann01

The place seems to be overloaded with ex pats and would not be my area of choice to retire

Likewise. Dumaguete is fast becoming the equivalent of Magaluf in Mallorca (Quick side bar: To our American & Antipodean friends a Spanish island in the mediterranean popular with British tourists - its a beautiful island but certain areas like Magaluf attract the yob brigade ,male and yes female)

The resort has recently been in the news for, shall we say, all the wrong reasons - Brits reading this will know what I mean.

I note Gio a resident vlogger in Dumaguete has now relocated to Da Nang in Vietnam: yes Cherryann that was where you met your delightful vietnamese masseuse who dropped you off at your hotel  on her scooter after a restaurant meal. I forgot to ask you - did you invite her up to your room for a cup of coffee afterwards?

Sorry I digress. Back to Dumaguete. I shall be there again in November but staying at one of the dive resorts in Dauin. I have to take some items with me for my Filipina neighbour whose family live there. Will I be going into town in the evening? Probably not but might avail myself of a morning coffee at Tom Toms - a refreshing alternative to Ground Zero where all the Mafiosi hang out 1f60e.svg

@Cherryann01

The place seems to be overloaded with ex pats and would not be my area of choice to retire

Likewise. Dumaguete is fast becoming the equivalent of Magaluf in Mallorca (Quick side bar: To our American & Antipodean friends a Spanish island in the mediterranean popular with British tourists - its a beautiful island but certain areas like Magaluf attract the yob brigade ,male and yes female)
The resort has recently been in the news for, shall we say, all the wrong reasons - Brits reading this will know what I mean.
I note Gio a resident vlogger in Dumaguete has now relocated to Da Nang in Vietnam: yes Cherryann that was where you met your delightful vietnamese masseuse who dropped you off at your hotel on her scooter after a restaurant meal. I forgot to ask you - did you invite her up to your room for a cup of coffee afterwards?

Sorry I digress. Back to Dumaguete. I shall be there again in November but staying at one of the dive resorts in Dauin. I have to take some items with me for my Filipina neighbour whose family live there. Will I be going into town in the evening? Probably not but might avail myself of a morning coffee at Tom Toms - a refreshing alternative to Ground Zero where all the Mafiosi hang out 1f60e.svg
-@Lotus Eater

No unfortunately she did not have time for a coffee. I saw the video Gio put out and he was talking about spending 2 months a year in Da Nang. That is something I would consider if I ever moved to the Philippines.

@Cherryann01

No unfortunately she did not have time for a coffee

That's because you did not offer her an 'egg coffee' 1f923.svg

I just looked on booking.com and you can stay in a nice hotel for 3 months in Da Nang, breakfast included and with swimming pool and all for about £1250 upwards. So electric, Wifi, water and cleaning all included in the price.