Visa Renewal

shanerichardson wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that.

I am simply looking for recommendations. I've heard prices up to USD450 for a single entry tourist visa extension. That's just highway robbery.

When I asked for General estimates a week ago, I was told that the prices vary based upon nationality and the type of Visa the person has, but when I pressed for some type of General estimate, they replied:

"It's about more than 150 US for 1 month single entry , more than 250 US/3 months single entry for tourist visa ..."

I'm sure there are some agents that are charging the much higher fee for everyone.

Then again, there may be certain nationalities who are charged higher prices.

Again, shopping around is the only way to know for sure

Confused how different nationality would affect cost.. surely same stamp.. same ink.. ??

Jlgarbutt wrote:

Confused how different nationality would affect cost.. surely same stamp.. same ink.. ??

Some Nations have a more favorable arrangement with Vietnam immigration Dept, so it's less expensive for the agent to get approval for those people.

It's pretty well-known that's some of the least expensive Visa options are available for u.s. citizens.

I'm pretty sure the prices my agent quotes as approximate are the starting prices for u.s. Citizens and then other nationalities may have to pay higher prices than that, depending upon the nation where they originated

Jlgarbutt wrote:

It's true, different prices depending on passport.

I'm a Canadian. I have never payed more than a citizen of any other country.

VietCanada wrote:

I'm a Canadian. I have never payed more than a citizen of any other country.

But have you paid LESS?

I renewed my 5 year about a month ago.

35 USD for the visa, 500 VND for the return trip to Cambodia. That was too high. I was scammed for the return ticket.

So about 60 USD. Is that higher or lower than the prices quoted in this thread?

Before the 5 year, I had a 5 year married exemption.
I paid 200 VND, about 10 USD every three months during that time. I only had to go to the local police and then the main office in D1 for that.

For about a decade now I've been reading about people paying $250 USD and more. I have no idea what's up with that.

And what happens if a person has a 1 year multi entry tourist visa (US citizen) that expires in 2021, with a 3 month permission to stay that expires about 2 weeks from now? What does one do?

hyagly256 wrote:

And what happens if a person has a 1 year multi entry tourist visa (US citizen) that expires in 2021, with a 3 month permission to stay that expires about 2 weeks from now? What does one do?

That was my question.  While they don't specifically mention it, their wording about waiving the visa requirements indicates to me that they would likely waive the three-month rule as well.  Unless information specific to our cases appears somewhere soon, the fact that your permission ends well before mine means you'll be the guinea pig. 

Since the immigration office is closed, there's really no one to ask -- maybe at the airport.  If they wanted to be nice, thy could stamp your passport there and put in a new date.

paulmsn wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

That was my question.  While they don't specifically mention it, their wording about waiving the visa requirements indicates to me that they would likely waive the three-month rule as well.  Unless information specific to our cases appears somewhere soon, the fact that your permission ends well before mine means you'll be the guinea pig. 

Since the immigration office is closed, there's really no one to ask -- maybe at the airport.  If they wanted to be nice, thy could stamp your passport there and put in a new date.

hyagly256 - Did you obtain your visa through an agent?

If so, have you contacted them?

There is an article about visa extensions. Is there nothing in there that applies to your situations?

This is my take but don't take my word for it!

It seems to be saying that your embassy or consulate can sponsor you if you don't have a sponsor.
It lists the documents you need.
Then you go to immigration.

Immigration office in Ho Chi Minh City: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
Working hours: Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am – 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm – 5pm) and Saturday (Morning time only)

Here's a link to form NA-5. PDF, dl it fill it out on your device, print it, sign it.
You can always find these forms online in PDF form in my limited experience.
Usually you can also dl an English explanation for the fields.

The Article:
"Guidelines on extension of foreigners' temporary residence due to COVID-19
17:14 | 01/04/2020

VGP – The Viet Nam Immigration Department has issued guidelines on extension of temporary residence for foreigners in Viet Nam who are unable to exit Viet Nam to return home due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

1. Foreigners who entered Viet Nam on visa waiver or tourist visas (including electronic visas) and who have their permission to stay expired but do not have any sponsoring entity and cannot exit Viet Nam due to objective reasons (quarantine or airlines stopping flights, destination or transit countries closing borders…), may have the Embassy or Consulate General sponsor their extension of temporary residence for maximum 30 days while awaiting departure, and submit their application at the Viet Nam Immigration Department.  Specifically:

The application for extending temporary residence must include:

- Passport/ Other travel documents equivalent to a passport;

- Application form (form NA5 according to the Ministry of Public Security's Circular number 04/2015/TT-BCA dated January 05, 2015, stamped with the Embassy's or Consulate General's Seal);

- Documents proving temporary residence declaration and health declaration;

The Immigration Department will make determination within 05 working days from the day of receiving a valid and complete application as per the instructions above (in addition, a Diplomatic Note is required in case there is any additional request for special support).

Fees are paid in accordance with the regulations of the Ministry of Finance.

The Embassy or Consulate General has the responsibility for overseeing its nationals who are under the Embassy's sponsorship during their time in Viet Nam and, upon request,  coordinating with competent Vietnamese authorities to resolve matters regarding the citizen.

Implementation timeframe from March 30, 2020 to April 30, 2020.

2. Regarding individuals who entered Viet Nam for business, work, labor, visiting relatives or other purposes, the Immigration Department respectfully requests that the Embassy or Consulate General direct the citizen to their sponsors (agencies, organizations or individuals) according to the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Viet Nam.

3. Individuals who overstayed their temporary residence validity period for less than 10 days because of objective reasons and force majeure situations (with documentation evidence) can be considered for administrative penalty waivers./."

It's all a joke,in my opinion the UK /us ambassador's should be asking the authorities to waive visa's for the time borders are closed or quarantine is in place upon entry, they could easily do this instead they are leaving us all at the mercy of the vultures who are already starving and ravenous.
I only just renewed my visa which is a three month multiple entry visa but all they gave me was 30 Days and bcz they did it a week before it had run out I lost those 7 days also! 😠
Now I have heard from UK consulate that a two week waiver of visa's from 1-15 April is in my place, again not long enough to be of much use and too late to help me again 💩

OT: market demand. In the US a N95 medical face mask used to cost around $.70 each, now the States have to purchase them for around $7.00 each.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

hyagly256 - Did you obtain your visa through an agent?

If so, have you contacted them?

Yes, I got the letter from an agent in Hanoi, then a VOA at Moc Bai. I haven't contacted the agent yet.

VietCanada wrote:

There is an article about visa extensions. Is there nothing in there that applies to your situations?

This is my take but don't take my word for it!

It seems to be saying that your embassy or consulate can sponsor you if you don't have a sponsor.
It lists the documents you need.
Then you go to immigration.

Immigration office in Ho Chi Minh City: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
Working hours: Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am – 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm – 5pm) and Saturday (Morning time only)

Here's a link to form NA-5. PDF, dl it fill it out on your device, print it, sign it.
You can always find these forms online in PDF form in my limited experience.
Usually you can also dl an English explanation for the fields.

The Article:
"Guidelines on extension of foreigners' temporary residence due to COVID-19
17:14 | 01/04/2020

VGP – The Viet Nam Immigration Department has issued guidelines on extension of temporary residence for foreigners in Viet Nam who are unable to exit Viet Nam to return home due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

1. Foreigners who entered Viet Nam on visa waiver or tourist visas (including electronic visas) and who have their permission to stay expired but do not have any sponsoring entity and cannot exit Viet Nam due to objective reasons (quarantine or airlines stopping flights, destination or transit countries closing borders…), may have the Embassy or Consulate General sponsor their extension of temporary residence for maximum 30 days while awaiting departure, and submit their application at the Viet Nam Immigration Department.  Specifically:

The application for extending temporary residence must include:

- Passport/ Other travel documents equivalent to a passport;

- Application form (form NA5 according to the Ministry of Public Security's Circular number 04/2015/TT-BCA dated January 05, 2015, stamped with the Embassy's or Consulate General's Seal);

- Documents proving temporary residence declaration and health declaration;

The Immigration Department will make determination within 05 working days from the day of receiving a valid and complete application as per the instructions above (in addition, a Diplomatic Note is required in case there is any additional request for special support).

Fees are paid in accordance with the regulations of the Ministry of Finance.

The Embassy or Consulate General has the responsibility for overseeing its nationals who are under the Embassy's sponsorship during their time in Viet Nam and, upon request,  coordinating with competent Vietnamese authorities to resolve matters regarding the citizen.

Implementation timeframe from March 30, 2020 to April 30, 2020.

2. Regarding individuals who entered Viet Nam for business, work, labor, visiting relatives or other purposes, the Immigration Department respectfully requests that the Embassy or Consulate General direct the citizen to their sponsors (agencies, organizations or individuals) according to the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Viet Nam.

3. Individuals who overstayed their temporary residence validity period for less than 10 days because of objective reasons and force majeure situations (with documentation evidence) can be considered for administrative penalty waivers./."

How over-complicated they are making this. So a person has to go their embassy with documents about residence and health (are there forms for this or you can just write your own health declaration and show a receipt for your residence), then go to VN immigration and they will MAKE A DETERMINATION...a determination as to what? Whether to extend your permission to stay? And if they don't, what will they do, expel you? How can they do that with the borders closed?

Then, knowing the US consulate, they will probably charge you at least $50 to process your request. And what will VN immigration charge you to accept your request?

I plan to go to the border as soon as it re-opens. So if it reopens within 10 days of the end of my permission to stay, will they let me exit without a penalty? I would like to avoid all this paperwork and likely fees.

And isn't this virus mania a "force majeure situation" (with documentation evidence) . I guess one has to come up with evidence that this was force majeure? This is all much more complicated than it needs to be.

Not to mention, the immigration office is CLOSED until April 15.

thanks andy, hopefully prices will come down after the virus is gone

hyagly256 wrote:

How over-complicated they are making this. So a person has to go their embassy with documents about residence and health (are there forms for this or you can just write your own health declaration and show a receipt for your residence),

No, you go to your Embassy or Consulate General with the completed NA5 form and get them to stamp and sign that they will act as your sponsor for an extension of your visa.

You go to the local police and get them to confirm your registration of temporary residence (your landlord should have registered you).

Print out a copy of your online health declaration.

Then you take all the above and your passport to one of three Immigration offices:
Hanoi -  44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District;
Da Nang - 78 Lê Lợi, Thạch Thang, Hải Châu; or,
Ho Chi Minh City - 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3.

Pay USD $10 and if everything is in order, go back and pick-up your passport in five days with new visa extension stamp.

However, it seems the U.S. Embassy (among others) is refusing to act as sponsor for their citizens... so, all the above is moot.

This is the problem Embassy do not want to be Sponsors!!
In Thailand very easy...from today all visa extensions are automatic till 30 April20!!

cruisemonkey wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

How over-complicated they are making this. So a person has to go their embassy with documents about residence and health (are there forms for this or you can just write your own health declaration and show a receipt for your residence),

No, you go to your Embassy or Consulate General with the completed NA5 form and get them to stamp and sign that they will act as your sponsor for an extension of your visa.

You go to the local police and get them to confirm your registration of temporary residence (your landlord should have registered you).

Then you take all the above and your passport to one of three Immigration offices:

Pay USD $10 and if everything is in order, go back and pick-up your passport in five days with new visa extension stamp.

However, it seems the U.S. Embassy (among others) is refusing to act as sponsor for their citizens... so, all the above is moot.

I'm not surprised (great response, BTW).

The US Embassy has been continually posting new information on its website about flights out of Vietnam, while Vietnam has been inferring that they would prefer non-resident foreigners leave.

It's the risk we all take when we decide to live here long-term through the non-resident visas available.

The US government has no interest in sponsoring us to live here longer in non-resident status.

I know the financial burden of this for some people is incredibly onerous.

As far as the two governments are concerned , we should all have sufficient Financial Resources to cover emergency repatriation.

cruisemonkey wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

Thanks a lot for these very interesting information. However, how can we go to our embassy (Hanoi) or consulate (Saigon) at this moment if we aren't in these towns ? Someone succeed in travelling these days ?

cruisemonkey wrote:

No, you go to your Embassy or Consulate General with the completed NA5 form and get
[snip lots]

And ALL of the above is just nonsense "make work".  The proof is that when the borders reopen, out and in, get the stamp, without ANY of the paperwork.

Laurent futur Nha Trang wrote:

Thanks a lot for these very interesting information. However, how can we go to our embassy (Hanoi) or consulate (Saigon) at this moment if we aren't in these towns ? Someone succeed in travelling these days ?

Even if you could get here most of the consulates have cancelled all interviews.  I had an interview scheduled for some paperwork for March 31 at the US consulate and they emailed me that all interviews are cancelled for the foreseeable future.  There could be special emergency cases I don't know if they would consider a visa extension one of them since you have the ability to extend alread.y, albeit more expensive

SteinNebraska wrote:

Even if you could get here most of the consulates have cancelled all interviews.  I had an interview scheduled for some paperwork for March 31 at the US consulate and they emailed me that all interviews are cancelled for the foreseeable future.  There could be special emergency cases I don't know if they would consider a visa extension one of them since you have the ability to extend alread.y, albeit more expensive

There is a way to do it through the US Embassy (Hanoi) and Consulate (Ho Chi Minh City) according to the Embassy COVID-19 Webpage:

vn. usembassy. gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

(Quote from that page)

Vietnamese Immigration offices are closed until April 15.  Vietnamese Immigration has stated that U.S. citizens and other foreigners with visas that expire during the closure will not be considered overstays for the period of April 1-15.  Some immigration offices may keep limited staffing during this time to process emergency cases.  In certain cases, the U.S. Embassy and Consulate may be able to provide U.S. citizens with a letter in support of a tourist visa extension or exit visa if their intended stay in Vietnam has been adversely affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.  U.S. citizens interested in requesting this letter for presentation to Vietnamese immigration offices can submit an inquiry here and provide detailed information about their situation.  U.S. citizens who have questions about their work visa or work permit should contact their employer or sponsoring organization directly for instructions.

Follow the link in the bold text to the inquiry page referred to above.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

There is a way to do it through the US Embassy (Hanoi) and Consulate (Ho Chi Minh City) according to the Embassy COVID-19 Webpage:

(Quote from that page)

Vietnamese Immigration offices are closed until April 15.  Vietnamese Immigration has stated that U.S. citizens and other foreigners with visas that expire during the closure will not be considered overstays for the period of April 1-15.  Some immigration offices may keep limited staffing during this time to process emergency cases.  In certain cases, the U.S. Embassy and Consulate may be able to provide U.S. citizens with a letter in support of a tourist visa extension or exit visa if their intended stay in Vietnam has been adversely affected by the COVID-19 outbreak.  U.S. citizens interested in requesting this letter for presentation to Vietnamese immigration offices can submit an inquiry here and provide detailed information about their situation.  U.S. citizens who have questions about their work visa or work permit should contact their employer or sponsoring organization directly for instructions.

A 'letter of support' useless. The Embassy or Consulate General has to sponsor the applicant.

cruisemonkey wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
SteinNebraska wrote:

(Quote from that page)

A 'letter of support' useless. The Embassy or Consulate General has to sponsor the applicant.

To me, this is obviously a matter of semantics and compromise.

The US Government is never going to "sponsor" any of us on a Visa in a foreign country.

So instead, for legal reasons they offer us "support".

Will the Vietnamese government accept that?

I don't know for certain and neither do you.

However, I think it's likely they will, especially considering how friendly the two governments have been recently.

Of course it would be best to get a firsthand account from someone who has tried this route.

I do not understand you all. Why do you need a sponsor? I'm here , 4 years, on a tourist visa and I'll consider it as a personal failure ... the thought about a sponsor! Why are you here? Just a personal thing !  Today checked for an 3 months extension. I found a company ,340$ , and stopped searching.  Just did a calculation and found  the surplus payment acceptable .

Yes just need to pay...that' it!

Sobie wrote:

I do not understand you all. Why do you need a sponsor? I'm here , 4 years, on a tourist visa and I'll consider it as a personal failure ... the thought about a sponsor! Why are you here? Just a personal thing !  Today checked for an 3 months extension. I found a company ,340$ , and stopped searching.  Just did a calculation and found  the surplus payment acceptable .

The agent or company that does your tourist visa is your sponsor, its outlined in the laws of Vietnam.

Yes. Why involving the embassy for sponsorship! Makes no sense, or  :/ there's a shortage of a few buckets of $$$.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Good info for US people but the person I replied to is from France.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
cruisemonkey wrote:

To me, this is obviously a matter of semantics and compromise.

The US Government is never going to "sponsor" any of us on a Visa in a foreign country.

So instead, for legal reasons they offer us "support".

Will the Vietnamese government accept that?

I don't know for certain and neither do you.

However, I think it's likely they will, especially considering how friendly the two governments have been recently.

Of course it would be best to get a firsthand account from someone who has tried this route.

People have reported on Facebook they went to the U.S. Embassy and were refused sponsorship for a tourist visa extension, but were given a letter of support. When they went to Immigration with the letter of support (and the NA5 etc.) their application was refused because the Embassy did not sponsor them. They were told by Immigration to use a visa agent.

cruisemonkey wrote:

People have reported on Facebook they went to the U.S. Embassy and were refused sponsorship for a tourist visa extension, but were given a letter of support. When they went to Immigration with the letter of support (and the NA5 etc.) their application was refused because the Embassy did not sponsor them. They were told by Immigration to use a visa agent.

So basically they gave them a lollipop and sent them on their way, which was completely understandable.  Why would a country "sponsor" someone that they don't know and have no reason to do it just to avoid a fee?  There's probably something fairly significant about a country "sponsoring" someone.  They may be financially responsible for that person while in country.  Think about the definition of "sponsoring" someone.

Everyone that has come here is an adult and they have made their own choices.  They could have left earlier when things started to go sideways or they could choose to stay.  They have made their decision and now they have to live with it.  They may have to pay a couple hundred bucks.  The world won't end because of that expenditure.  Suck it up, pay it, move on.

Hi everyone,

Kindly note that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

I was quoted US 370 and  US 345 (both agents in Pham Ngu Lao). I'm trying to do it for myself because :

A. The cost is totally unrelated to the cost of performing the service,

B. The agents are exploiting people who, in many cases, have had no paid work for upwards of eight weeks. and
C. It is just feeding money into a system of official and private corruption.

The Australian Consulate  has stated (via Facebook) that they will not assist citizens trying to maintain legal visa status in Vietnam while unable to return home. That is shameful at this time of crisis.

To be honest I'm fed up with the whole system. When I went before the shut down all I got was come back on the 20th when your visa expire. I asked what happens if you are still closed ? Just. Come back on the 20h.. well that date has been and gone and maybe they open tomorrow if not the next day.

Now I'm officially an over stayer.. tourist visa expired... VEC not valid because I cannot get an exit stamp.

And some of the visa agents I spoke to had no clue what the VEC was.. never heard of it on a few occasions.

So let's assume we go down to the nearest agent and hand over 400USD... Who's to say the extension they provide is legal?

Pay the fee maybe get a legal extension.. maybe.. how can you tell if it's legal ?  If I get unlucky and the extension I get for my money is iffy, then I suspect a fine will follow if I get caught ?

Assuming expensive extension is legit.. instill have to leave the country to get the necessary step. Or if they still don't open borders in a month, pay another 400USD ??

The VEC is like passing your driving test and then having anoturt test to prove you passed.

Jlgarbutt wrote:

The VEC is like passing your driving test and then having anoturt test to prove you passed.

anoturt   :/  Thumb typing maybe.

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Unnecessary and irrelevant comment.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Jlgarbutt wrote:

To be honest I'm fed up with the whole system. When I went before the shut down all I got was come back on the 20th when your visa expire. I asked what happens if you are still closed ? Just. Come back on the 20h.. well that date has been and gone and maybe they open tomorrow if not the next day.

Now I'm officially an over stayer.. tourist visa expired... VEC not valid because I cannot get an exit stamp.

And some of the visa agents I spoke to had no clue what the VEC was.. never heard of it on a few occasions.

So let's assume we go down to the nearest agent and hand over 400USD... Who's to say the extension they provide is legal?

Pay the fee maybe get a legal extension.. maybe.. how can you tell if it's legal ?  If I get unlucky and the extension I get for my money is iffy, then I suspect a fine will follow if I get caught ?

Assuming expensive extension is legit.. instill have to leave the country to get the necessary step. Or if they still don't open borders in a month, pay another 400USD ??

Give this woman a call, she is a well known agent in Vietnam.

Jane SNVI

colinoscapee wrote:
Jlgarbutt wrote:

Give this woman a call, she is a well known agent in Vietnam.

Jane SNVI

...or this trustworthy agent in Hanoi, a personal friend of mine:

Thu/Susan VVOA

Philganesh wrote:

I was quoted US 370 and  US 345 (both agents in Pham Ngu Lao). I'm trying to do it for myself because :

A. The cost is totally unrelated to the cost of performing the service,

B. The agents are exploiting people who, in many cases, have had no paid work for upwards of eight weeks. and
C. It is just feeding money into a system of official and private corruption.

The Australian Consulate  has stated (via Facebook) that they will not assist citizens trying to maintain legal visa status in Vietnam while unable to return home. That is shameful at this time of crisis.

UK embassy has already stated it wont help UK passport holders either.
How are you going to do it yourself ?

Vietjet / Singapore airlines flight back to LHR is looking pretty attractive at the moment. Mask mandatory for the flight... but thats only like being here the last few weeks