Motorbikes in Siem Reap - the real story please

I rode a Yamaha Nuovo everyday in Hanoi for four years, so no stranger to crazy heavy no-rules traffic. I am planning on moving to Siem Reap in a few months and would like a definitive answer to the scooter question in town - I have seen posts that say expats not allowed to ride, too dangerous to ride, can ride if resident for three months, can ride no problem, can ride but watch out for tuktuk drivers etc etc. Is there anyone who can actually tell me the real story - for a start, is it legally ok?

Hello,I too,would like to see the rules about scooters and or motorcycles as I am moving to Siem Reap to retire in a few months.I normally ride motorcycles 350cc up when I am in Cambodia.

Mark (NZ).

You can ride a motorbike here if you like.

Under 125cc you don't need a drivers license, above 125cc you need a Cambodian DL.
International or national DL is not accepted.
But it's not a big deal to get a Cambodian DL in PP, takes about 1.5 hours and I think $30 for a one year DL.

Be careful on the road, half the people drive against traffic, nobody indicates change of direction, ride conform teh worst scenario then you're fine.
Always wear a helmet, not because of police but because the tarmac is harder than your skull.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team

I almost always found the free flow of traffic to be refreshing.  The main legal points are: no license required for 125 and below, the moto must have mirrors, and the law requires a helmet with the chin strap fastened. 

The police do at times set up check points and they do pull over violators.

Thanks Joe, but it was Siem Reap in particular that I was asking about. Seems to be an issue there, according to some previous posts on this site.

I answered you for the whole of Cambodia.

Siem reap is not an autonomic province, it's part of Cambodia and as such the same rules (for sure traffic) are valid as everywhere.

Cheers.

Joe

Just a couple of small points I would like to add to this subject if that's ok, After my many miles around Asia including Cambodia is to make sure I am off the road by 6pm (too dangerous) to ride at night.I just tuk tuk from then on.Also make sure to be always wearing a helmet,(I bring my own)as in most insurance policies as well as common sense,it will state in the small print,that you are only covered if you are licensed and are wearing a helmet.I have been riding motorcycles for 55 years in many parts of the world and Asia is the riskiest place to ride.But Cambodia is a very lovely country to ride in,so it's worth the risk.

kiwiauto wrote:

Just a couple of small points I would like to add to this subject if that's ok, After my many miles around Asia including Cambodia is to make sure I am off the road by 6pm (too dangerous) to ride at night.I just tuk tuk from then on.Also make sure to be always wearing a helmet,(I bring my own)as in most insurance policies as well as common sense,it will state in the small print,that you are only covered if you are licensed and are wearing a helmet.I have been riding motorcycles for 55 years in many parts of the world and Asia is the riskiest place to ride.But Cambodia is a very lovely country to ride in,so it's worth the risk.

Thanks for the tips, good to know.

I lived in Sihanoukville for 2.5 years, rode my Airblade every day to the beach and back, also rode at night but the 3 accidents I had (not my fault) happened at night.
When I moved to PP a year ago I decided to sell my motorbike and use the local PassApp rickshaws for transport. I don't regret a thing about that as the traffic in PP is horrendous and I always think I didn't reach retirement age to get trashed in traffic.

Cheers.

Joe