Moving Family To Ecuador All Advice is GREATLY Appreciated

Hello,

I'm a father of 3 beautful kids, 5 year old boy, 3 year old girl and 1 year old boy.  My partner I have been doing a lot of research on moving to Ecuador for a simpler life as far as family time, healthy food and day to day exploring unlike the hustle of America.  I consider myself very simple, I do not watch TV or am interested in most things Americans seem to be interested in.  I am intersted in a strong and watrm community for my family, a lot of outddor adventures wether it be beach, ocean or lakes, my kids becoming more cultured and learning Spanish and experiencing diffrent ways of life and a moderate lifestyle.  I do not need a big house, nor huge shopping malls etc.  I want the filling of a smaller town but also access to a city as well for good schools and medical.  I am a respiraotry therapist hear in the states and I also am a emergency medical responder.  I have an extensive background in personal training and nutrition.  I'm curious on what cities would be best to visit at first.  Please let me know because we plan to visit first and scope it out before we full commit.  Thank you and much love

mtownsell wrote:

Hello,

I'm a father of 3 beautful kids, 5 year old boy, 3 year old girl and 1 year old boy.  My partner I have been doing a lot of research on moving to Ecuador for a simpler life as far as family time, healthy food and day to day exploring unlike the hustle of America.  I consider myself very simple, I do not watch TV or am interested in most things Americans seem to be interested in.  I am intersted in a strong and watrm community for my family, a lot of outddor adventures wether it be beach, ocean or lakes, my kids becoming more cultured and learning Spanish and experiencing diffrent ways of life and a moderate lifestyle.  I do not need a big house, nor huge shopping malls etc.  I want the filling of a smaller town but also access to a city as well for good schools and medical.  I am a respiraotry therapist hear in the states and I also am a emergency medical responder.  I have an extensive background in personal training and nutrition.  I'm curious on what cities would be best to visit at first.  Please let me know because we plan to visit first and scope it out before we full commit.  Thank you and much love

Cuenca seems like a good option for a family with children. The primary reason is that it offers affordable schooling for the expat community. I think one of those options is called CEDEI. Perhaps Cuenca residents with children who attend there or other institutions will chime in. Safety is another important factor as Cuenca is one of the safest cities in Ecuador.   

As for a simpler lifestyle, I think anywhere in Ecuador will offer that. Even in the capital  which is often bustling is much simpler than comparably sized cities around the world.

As for outdoor activities, they certainly exist but it's important that your experience it for yourself, because there are people who think it's limited for whatever reason.

Most importantly temper your expectations and you won't be disappointed. The ocean and beaches are quite a distance in terms of time from most cities in the sierra (highlands). Best of luck,

Outskirts of Quito, perhaps. Areas like Cumbaya. If you prefer ocean ... Outskirts of Manta, or live in Salinas proper and utilize the big city of Guayaquil 2 hours away.