Moving to Vietnam

Hi,

My name is Mees, I'm 25 year and live in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Last year I traveled across Vietnam with two of my best friends. Here I fell in love with the country, as all of you can imagine, I would expect. Ever since I got back from my holiday I've been longing to go back. I met a lot of people on my travels, who are around my age, from all over the world, working in Vietnam as teachers, mainly English teachers. This would be a great opportunity for me, since I have got some teaching experience through internships. I started to do some research on the possibilities for me to become an English teacher in Vietnam and immediately stumbled upon some problems. Although I do speak English fluently, I am not a Native-English speaker, nor do i have a bachelor degree. So now I have started to look for other jobs as well. Most of my work experience is in hospitality, I've been working in bars restaurants and a community in England (the othona community in Bradwell-on-sea) for 6 years all together. I've worked as a bar tender, waiter, cook, barista, host, but also as carpenter, painter and decorator, activity supervisor and gardener.

Could someone help me on tips on getting a job, as a teaching, bar tender or cook, a hostel employee, activity supervisor or anything related to this?

I know these are all very different jobs, but since I have got experience in a lot of various professions, I would like to keep it my options open for anything. I am a hard worker and always very devoted to, and serious about my job.

I would like to hear from anyone who could help me out.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
Mees Peeters (pronounced as: mace pay-ters)

Demand for English teachers in VN is high. Most of the work is 'teaching' kids using 'edutainment' methods, part-time and casual. So, for this kind of work, most centres are looking for people like yourself: young, flexible, outgoing, enthusiastic, yet reliable and responsible, and with a pleasant personality and nice appearance.

Schools are all over the internet. Basically, if you want to teach in VN (or most any other country), you contact some schools that look like places you might like to work, preferably in person, nicely dressed with CV/resume, or send your documents by e-mail. If you are not in VN, you can contact them by e-mail and let them know you are coming. Many of them have staff who will correspond with you through social media or apps. Skype interviews are also used sometimes. Don't agree to anything before arriving and be a bit skeptical

You will find dozens of ads and can post your CV here:

https://vietnamteachingjobs.com

Facebook "teaching in vietnam, hcmc, hanoi, danang, etc." and "expats in vietnam, hcmc, hanoi, danang, etc....."  groups are also full of ads as are numerous other websites. For example, there are some jobs ads here on https://www.expat.com, where you can also post your CV:

https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/vietnam/

There are some expats working in the hospitality/F&B industry as well, although usually they have started their own bar/restaurant or guesthouse/boutique hotel with their local partner, wife, gf, etc., rather than working for a local (plenty of local candidates) or international company (proper qualifications/experience required).

Anyway, just start networking and see what happens. Economically, Asia is so hot right now, especially VN, so there are opportunities. If you haven't done so already, make a nice, clear and simple, brief CV/resume that you can send out.

Just typical of what I see in the English schooles here! So this guy is Dutch (Netherlands) he has no formal English language qualification, English is not his native tongue, but he speaks English fluently & wants to teach Vietnamese kids English! but with a Dutch accent!!! Just how stupid is that. Since i have lived here 10 years & more i have seen & met these so called English teachers coming from Nigeria, Rumania & Lithuania. When are the Vietnamese going to wake up to the fact that teaching English especially spoken conversational English should only be taught by people using English as their first language!!

alanjohnconnon wrote:

Just typical of what I see in the English schooles here! So this guy is Dutch (Netherlands) he has no formal English language qualification, English is not his native tongue, but he speaks English fluently & wants to teach Vietnamese kids English! but with a Dutch accent!!! Just how stupid is that. Since i have lived here 10 years & more i have seen & met these so called English teachers coming from Nigeria, Rumania & Lithuania. When are the Vietnamese going to wake up to the fact that teaching English especially spoken conversational English should only be taught by people using English as their first language!!

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2019/02/guest_2233bb5e-de0e-4669-a05e-455421d9ac47.jpeg

One for and one against the OP.

1)  Due to linguistic similarity, the Dutch may be the best non native English speakers in the world.  Many speak with absolutely no discernible accent.  Also, I think English is a required subject in Dutch schools.  The first English teacher I ever met in VN was on a tourist trip in the late 90's.  He was a teacher at a University in HCMC where a relative of my host was taking classes and I was solidly surprised when he told me he was Dutch.  At that time, demand was so high that he asked me to come back the next day to take a job.

2)  Regardless of his fluency, the OP has no degree.  This means that a legal status as a teacher with a work permit is closed off to him.  He will be stuck with border runs every 90 or 180 days to get new visas; which length depends on VN rules for EU countries.  He will also be subject to deportation if caught teaching, even if that is a very slim possibility.

Another note where I admittedly have no direct experience:  Most jobs for foreigners in hospitality seem to be at the top rather than the bottom.

I am also from Rotterdam with an almost identical situation as OP!!
Been speaking English since the age of  5 or something similar. It's practically flawless honestly, but regardless, I am a non native English speaker.

I dropped out of university 1 year before graduating because I was focused on my business so technically I do NOT have a degree.  Though I was and still am making great money, I would like options for the future to do something else. I am currently a software engineer so I guess my best option would be to continue doing work in the same area.

I'm curious, did you manage to get things sorted OP? Let me know!

I'd rather learn English from a Dutch person (or a Dane, they also speak it better than most natives) than for example a Scot or a Paddy. Mind you I'm a Paddy and have a perfect Radio 4 accent.  :gloria