$U.S. at ATM?

Hello- From experience, I know that many countries who use the US Dollar as a "secondary" currency give people the option of withdrawing local currency OR dollars from ATM's. Is this also the case in Vietnam? In other words, can one get dollars from ATM's in Vietnam?
Thanks, D~

No. You can only get VND.

Okay... Thank you!
D~

That was easy.
Too easy.

I like it best when the OP gets an answer and then spends 10 pages telling us why we are wrong because this is not the way they did it in Timbuktu.

Okay,  if you insist.... Let me tell you about the time I was in Timbuktu--- :)

Okay, I agree with the OP....you can get dollars out of any ATM here. You can get any currency you want. Just select the desired currency and they print it on demand. Many will allow you to withdraw gold bullion also. Hope this helps. Next......

Vagabondone wrote:

Okay, I agree with the OP....you can get dollars out of any ATM here. You can get any currency you want. Just select the desired currency and they print it on demand. Many will allow you to withdraw gold bullion also. Hope this helps. Next......

I think you dispense pearls...of wisdom

;)

Heck there banks here will not even give you change for VND. I never could understand why everyone is so tight with their change. Then I learned that banks will not provide change in the denominations you desire. Many business' like to have various breakdowns of small bills to make change. In my mother country we can go into the bank and get it like you can at Burger King " the way you want it. Not here. So the best thing to do is go to the ATM and have it print our gold or whatever you need. Next....

Gents:

I don't see a recent forum for opening a new bank account. If I missed it, pls direct me there.

I will bring in my monthly SSA pension from the USA direct-deposit. Need confirmation Vietcom & SACOM are best banks to deal with? Will not be employed so will be doing this with a 6-month or 12-month tourist or business visa. Residency card needed? Is that difficult to obtain?

Your best recommendation for best bank?

Thanks.

Perhaps I misunderstand your question... To the best of my very limited knowledge, SS will not direct-deposit monthly benefits into a non-USA bank. If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will correct me immediately!
D~

deebee123 wrote:

Perhaps I misunderstand your question... To the best of my very limited knowledge, SS will not direct-deposit monthly benefits into a non-USA bank. If I am wrong about this, I am sure someone will correct me immediately!
D~

Please read this sticky thread in the Vietnam forum:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761380

Lanna Prince wrote:

Gents:

I don't see a recent forum for opening a new bank account. If I missed it, pls direct me there.

I will bring in my monthly SSA pension from the USA direct-deposit. Need confirmation Vietcom & SACOM are best banks to deal with? Will not be employed so will be doing this with a 6-month or 12-month tourist or business visa. Residency card needed? Is that difficult to obtain?

Your best recommendation for best bank?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Looks like we are talking about that subject here now:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=832927

Dee-Bee:

SSA/Manila have sent me the updated list of countries to which the SSA will direct-deposit, and Vietnam has been added to that list in the past 12 months, as I recall.

The updated January 2019 list of countries is linked below.

I was asked to transfer my post to the flw forum, and have since done so:

"U.S.  SSA and Veterans Benefits in Vietnam Update."

Lanna Prince

Countries with International SSA Direct-Deposit

OceanBeach92107

Thanks. I am at newbie at this and not quite sure how to maneuver about through these forums.

I do appreciate your knowledge on these issues!

I replied to Dee-bee (on the first site) with the updated Jan. 2019 list of countries with SSA direct-deposit services, and trust the info is seen and I can get replies on the second forum you mentioned.

I repeat the link below here.

https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/foreign.htm

LannaPrince

Lanna Prince wrote:

Dee-Bee:

I was asked to transfer my post to the flw forum, and have since done so:

"U.S.  SSA and Veterans Benefits in Vietnam Update."

That would be this link:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=761380