Driving Licence - to exchange or not

If one moves to Spain then they are required initially to register the licence and then after a maximum of two years exchange it for a spanish one

So far so good

However, if living outside U.K. one cannot renew/ replace a U.K. DL in U.K.

If one loses, accidentally destroys, or has their non Spanish DL stolen ( I know that  from working at a police station, it is not that uncommon) they cannot get a replacement from say U.K. as they do not live there and they cannot drive in Spain without having a valid DL in their possession.    Thus they would need to apply for a Spanish DL.  At present that can take up to six months to get an appointment, and they cannot legally drive in the interval.

A Spanish DL can be replaced fairly straightforwardly.   See here, in English :-

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tramit … cir_EN.pdf

Suggestion;  If you come to live in Spain exchange your DL as soon as possible

Johncar wrote:

If one moves to Spain then they are required initially to register the licence and then after a maximum of two years exchange it for a spanish one

So far so good

However, if living outside U.K. one cannot renew/ replace a U.K. DL in U.K.

If one loses, accidentally destroys, or has their non Spanish DL stolen they cannot get a replacement from say U.K. as they do not live there and they cannot drive in Spain without having a valid DL in their possession.    Thus they would need to apply for a Spanish DL.  At present that can take up to six months to get an appointment so they cannot drive

Sensible suggestion.  If you come to live in
Spain exchange your DL as soon as possible

Does a UK DL need to get translated into Spanish and notarized before it can be exchanged yo a Spainsh one?

Answer to question:   Not for an EU D/L , but possibly for D/L from other countries.   

An International Driving Permit, often incorrectly referred to as an International Driving Licence,  is a translation.     In some countries an IDP, always to be carried with one's national DL,  is required.

I helped a person change their Philippines D/L for a Spanish one, that did not need a translation, but the official language in Philippines is English, so the D/L was in English.

Can I use a relatives address in the UK to renew my UK DL? :lol:

No.   It says clearly on the application that it must be the address where you habitually live.    If you have residence status in Spain,  that is where you live.  In such a situation to say otherwise in order to obtain a UK D/L amounts to a criminal offence in U.K.   

I am just answering the question for those who want to know.  What people choose to do is a matter for them.