South Africans wanting to move to Ireland

Hi all

I wonder if there is anyone that can assist with the journey we are about to embark.  My boyfriend and I have been together for about 5 years now and we are planning on getting married at some point this year.  He is an EU Member as his parents come from Portugal.  While we are busy with getting all the paperwork together to sort out all the passports, etc, I would like to do some research to plan for the future.

We are both skilled IT Professionals and with him being an EU member, I assume working in Ireland shouldn't be a problem.  Is this assumption correct or will he still require a work permit of some sorts?

Since we have been together in a civil union for about 5 years with the plan to get married soon, what type of documentation / permits will I require to find a job in Ireland?

Also, what is the best way to approach getting a job in Ireland?  How long is the waiting period generally to find a job?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming your partner has a current and valid EU passport, then he has the right to live and work anywhere in the EU; he does not need a work permit.  You as a person exercising free movement rights under current EU treaties have the right to join him.  You do however have to apply for an EU Family Residence Card within 3 months of arrival in Ireland.

The Irish government has a website that explains the process and also answers your questions regarding documentation requirements; this link will take you there.

Long-range job searching from South Africa (or anywhere really) is problematic; agencies want people who have relevant experience and qualifications but are available for interview today, to start work tomorrow.  Assuming your skills are in demand and your qualifications don't need any regulatory input, check to see if such jobs are being advertised, then send a CV in to see if you can get any interest.  LinkedIn is a good resource to reach out to your peers across the world, I'd recommend to at least use try the free version, although the pay version may be more useful, so perhaps a short-term subscription may benefit you both.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team