vietnamese old age pension eligibility

@Ciambella I've been all over the net this AM to find out what they are,As far as I can tell a person has to have paid into the fund over x number of years. Some low level local gov guy is asking my wife for her ID card and our family book so she can start drawing it. Sounds like a scam to me. Appreciate any input.

Rick

If he is really a low level local government guy, he already has access to the information on her ID card and family book.  Why not make photocopies, have them notarized (at the same place where he works?) and let him have the copies?  If you have doubts, tell him that you will hand him the copies at his office.

If your wife is eligible for anything, don't expect it to be much.  My mother-in-law was a full time bookkeeper in local government after the war ended and the widow of a game warden who also was a VC soldier.  She gets a grand total of about 4 million a month.

THIGV :

If he is really a low level local government guy, he already has access to the information on her ID card and family book.  Why not make photocopies, have them notarized (at the same place where he works?) and let him have the copies?  If you have doubts, tell him that you will hand him the copies at his office.

If your wife is eligible for anything, don't expect it to be much.  My mother-in-law was a full time bookkeeper in local government after the war ended and the widow of a game warden who also was a VC soldier.  She gets a grand total of about 4 million a month.

THIGV he' not asking for the originals I don't think, and yes the amount is not much about 300K a month. The point is I don't believe she's eligible and this guy is trying to do  a scam I think.

Rick

You're correct.  A person has to pay Social Insurance for a minimum of 20 years before s/he can receive pension.  A proposal was on the discussion table last year to reduce the number of years to 10 or 15; I don't know if it has enacted, I can do some research if you need to know for certain.

Alternatively, an elderly who has never paid into the system may be able to receive subsidies if she meets certain requirements (poor and without a person who has obligations to support her such as a son or husband).  Your wife must be old enough (60 or older), poor enough, and not legally married to you to qualify for the benefit.

Ciambella :

You're correct.  A person has to pay Social Insurance for a minimum of 20 years before s/he can receive pension.  A proposal was on the discussion table last year to reduce the number of years to 10 or 15; I don't know if it has enacted, I can do some research if you need to know for certain.

Alternatively, an elderly who has never paid into the system may be able to receive subsidies if she meets certain requirements (poor and without a person who has obligations to support her such as a son or husband).  Your wife must be old enough (60 or older), poor enough, and not legally married to you to qualify for the benefit.

Thanks Ciambella, she well meets the age requirement but that's it. Would you please when you have time find the decree that states the eligibility requirements. She's a dual citizen now for about 4 years, has never worked here nor put any money into any fund. The guys trying to run a scam and I can't figure out what it is. Poor? Were drawing between us 5 different retirement benefits a month, and flat out own the villa we live in. Thanks'

Rick

Budman1 :

The guys trying to run a scam and I can't figure out what it is.

Ultimately any scam has to make some money for the one running it.  If he asks you for money, that's the time to be notifying his superiors.  Of course, if they are part of the scam too:   :/

Does you wife have any relatives who are party members?  If so, maybe they could do a little digging for her.

Budman1 :

Would you please when you have time find the decree that states the eligibility requirements. She's a dual citizen now for about 4 years, has never worked here nor put any money into any fund. The guys trying to run a scam and I can't figure out what it is. Poor? Were drawing between us 5 different retirement benefits a month, and flat out own the villa we live in.

The decree for pension requirements, or for elderly subsidies, or both?

If I don't have time to do it by tomorrow night, I'll send you the details via PM in about 10 days when we come home (we're leaving for the States and I definitely will not be free at all during that hectic trip).

Ciambella :
Budman1 :

Would you please when you have time find the decree that states the eligibility requirements. She's a dual citizen now for about 4 years, has never worked here nor put any money into any fund. The guys trying to run a scam and I can't figure out what it is. Poor? Were drawing between us 5 different retirement benefits a month, and flat out own the villa we live in.

The decree for pension requirements, or for elderly subsidies, or both?

If I don't have time to do it by tomorrow night, I'll send you the details via PM in about 10 days when we come home (we're leaving for the States and I definitely will not be free at all during that hectic trip).

Ciambella thanks for the offer, but if your getting ready to make a trip home you have more important stuff to get done. I'll just dig a little deeper. Have a good trip.

Rick