Starting up in Da Nang

Hi guys Sam the teacher here, my girlfriend and  I are moving to da nang to start teaching in a couple of weeks time. We haven't yet got our accomadation/ transport sorted and we were hoping for some advice around neighbourhoods, how much we should be paying for rent and if anyone knows a good company for us to buy scooters? Also any other general recommendations or warnings would be appreciated!

Samtheteacher wrote:

Hi guys Sam the teacher here, my girlfriend and  I are moving to da nang to start teaching in a couple of weeks time. We haven't yet got our accomadation/ transport sorted and we were hoping for some advice around neighbourhoods, how much we should be paying for rent and if anyone knows a good company for us to buy scooters? Also any other general recommendations or warnings would be appreciated!

If you don't have firm, confirmed teaching jobs lined up already, be aware that this city is crawling with ESL teachers, because everyone wants to live here.

The word is, from friends of mine, you'll probably have to settle for a few hours here and there when you first arrive, if you don't have an advance offer of employment.

Do you want a studio, 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom apt? Your price can range from about $250.00 USD to $600.00 USD, depending on many normal real estate factors AND on whether you deal directly with a landlord OR rent through an agent.

Some "Hotel Apartments" include electricity but regular apartments don't.

Free WiFi is ubiquitous here. So are motorbike sellers.

Get the "Grab" app (no UBER here) and make friends with a good driver. They will then be willing to drive you around for 70% to 80% of the normal Grab rate.

Don't try to firm up much long distance, unless you like paying inflated prices.

Book a cheap hotel using the Agoda app for 3 to 7 days. Then, with boots on the ground, you can walk the neighborhoods that most interest you, negotiating best rental agreements face to face with landlords.

You pay more for living in Expat/Foreigner friendly areas, with some English spoken and more English signs and menus.

The An Thượng neighborhood of streets (in Mỹ An, Ngũ Hành Sơn, Đà Nẵng 550000) is very popular with foreigners, especially backpackers, Aussies and folks from other countries who all communicate in English.

Google "An Thượng 1, Bắc Mỹ An, Ngũ Hành Sơn, Đà Nẵng 550000" and you'll see the Holiday Resort there at the beach.

Many foreigners like to meet there at the beach (an area called "The Library") for overpriced drinks.

Or you can go five or six blocks west away from the beach and find cheaper (not cheapest) beer.

I recommend setting aside your first day for just walking around the area.

North Danang at the bay is cheaper, but very "local" oriented, with little English spoken. However, if you are looking to immerse yourself in the local culture, that's the affordable way to go.

If you need a Visa on Arrival, ask one of the trusted members here for a recommendation, using private messages. HOWEVER, having said that, it's always safer to get your visa through the Embassy or a Consulate of Vietnam.

You will probably get more specific suggestions if you share a more complete picture of what you've done to prepare so far, especially concerning employment.

As an FYI, if you are willing to live away from the city, there are more opportunities for full-time employment.

VIRTUALLY everything I've just written could be found by doing a serious search of this forum.

Do yourself a favor and use your keywords of interest to look around for help that's already been given.

Cheers!

Hi mate, thanks for all the tips - we will be sure to take them on board and check out the neighborhood you suggested along with the rest of this site. We have employment sorted what appears to be a blessing from what you have said! See you on the beach  :cool:

Hello i am here in Danang
Very easy to get an accomodation
You can get a studio for 250 $ in a quiet place
You also can stay in a hotel for around 300$ at first so you can see what area you like the most and won t get stuck in a contract