Need inforamtion-expat and INGO

hi, is there anyone in Nairobi, working with an INGO. i will be joining with an INGO in few weeks. I will be with my family.
I need some urgent information. Can you provide me with some imp information (especially if you r from INGO circle).
1. Is getting work permit easy or difficult.
2. Should we get workpermit before landing Nairobi or i can be managed afterwards.

hi welcome to kenya,geting a work permit has become much easier
youll be able to work on it while you are here

Dear workpermit,

Officially you do need an entry permit before taking up employment in Kenya.
This is a fairly lengthy process, and your employer INGO must, like in most countries, prove that no Kenyan exists who can do your job.
In practice some NGO staff come in on a tourist visa, but do make sure that your employer has started the process, as people have been arrested and expelled.
It is not really difficult, and do not believe stories that you must pay bribes, but it does take some time. Just follow the procedures, and you will be all right.

Welcome to Expat-blog umarkhalid! :)

Dear Deeb, Daktari,
Thanks for your quick reply and info.
Regards

Having recently applied, the process takes around 3 months and it is your employer who is supposed to facilitate the process, before you enter Kenya.  Although you can apply in country, there is a risk that your tourist visa could expire before the work permit is out, causing you to have to leave and re-enter.

My advice is, don't even think about trying to start work before you get your work permit.  It is illegal and immigration is increasingly on the case of illegal workers.  People are increasingly willing to blow the whistle on illegal workers too, leading to arrest, fine, possible imprisonment and certain deportation. 

It is certainly not legal to commence work on the strength that your employer has started the application process.

How about being there on a Multiple Visa.  I am told that under this visa you could stay in Kenya for as long as 1 year!! without any need to exit.

Is it possible for an expat to open a bank account while his work permit is being processed?

Regards

Yes you can open a bank account, as an expat and on a visitors visa.

Regarding the Multiple Entry Visa:  Technically, you can spend a year in Kenya.  You will need to register with immigration on/before you have been in Kenya for 90 days.  It is an offence not to do this.  A multiple entry visa is a visitors visa and work is prohibited (including voluntary work).

There has been a recent change in legislation, so please refer to the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act (2011), for information.

cickenya.org/sites/default/files/Acts/KENYA%20CITIZENSHIP%20AND%20IMMIGRATION%20ACT%2C%202011.pdf

hi. pliz do get in touch in case u need assistance with the work permit application process.