Just showing up in Kiyv

Hello everyone. My name is Nick and out of the blue I have decided to drop in Kyiv, straight from the Canadian praire. Having no contacts or friends over there I would appreciate a few words of advise.

Will be staying downtown Kyiv, after Jun 6 so if anyone is interested in having a coffee and has free time..i'm all yours:)

Hi Nick,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I am not sure just showing up in Kiev is a good idea. Rent is expensive $400 for a studio on the outskirts and $700 downtown)and job opportunities scarce (average salary for Kiev $500/monthy net, in other big cities about $350. Corruption in Ukrainian society is something else you will have to account for meaning that any document or official paper will take you much effort to obtain. On the top of it all you will have to deal with the fact that Ukrainian economy is in deep downturn right now. For you it means that while many expats had come to Kiev in search of a place to make a living before the crisis, now many are still in town at the time of much lesser demand for their services and skills. You will be competing against those people. Do you really want all that not speaking the language and not knowing Eastern European customs?

PS. Having said all that you might still find Kiev more cosmopolitan and more enjoyable than what I have described. I just want everyone to know what a fake it all is in terms of the ability to make money and sustain yourself in that kind of environment. Ukraine (at least big cities) has a posh European feel, but not the substance. People still make SOOO little money (by Western standards). Even Bulgaria at resent time is a better choice. It might not have too many more job opportunities, but the country is in EU, property prices are much lower and in general things like groceries are cheaper there than in Ukraine. So just be aware.

Thanks Oleggy,

I am from Albania originally so as you may guess, I am not that 'green' when it comes to corruption and poor economic conditions.

Besides, my purpose is tourism, not starting a new life:) My money should be good in Kiyev I suppose? I just dont want to be taken advantage of more than it is customary:)

Well in that case sorry for such a long reply and enjoy your time in Kiev

oleggy wrote:

Well in that case sorry for such a long reply and enjoy your time in Kiev

Once again, thank you. It was a very level headed description of the city.