Crime in Ecuador 2019

A new year, and updated information relating to crime is important. For members who contribute, do state the city and area you are referring to and preferably a source.

Here is an Ecuadorian word that all residents should know - sacapintas.

This word is used to refer to a group of criminals who rob people exiting banks. Their modus operandi, or the way they go about committing such crimes, usually involves someone who watches people inside the bank to determine who is withdrawing large amounts of money. These criminals then convey information to other members of the group who are waiting outside.

The criminals waiting outside usually consist of 2 guys who assault and rob the victim. Waiting for them to make a getaway are additional members, usually on motorcycles.

If you are robbed in this manner, do not fight back or hold on to your money. On January 24, someone did just that, and he was stabbed and shot to death. Even if there are tons of people around and in broad day-light this kind of crime can occur. 

Also, be careful where you walk, and again do not resist. This past Monday a tourist was murdered near centro histórico because he resisted the robbers who then stabbed him to death while his partner looked on.

Sounds dismal. What would you suggest, body armor?

norviato1 wrote:

Sounds dismal. What would you suggest, body armor?

Some precautions are don't withdraw large sums of cash like one of the victims did. Large amounts of cash attract attention, and criminals apparently think it's obvious when people are carrying briefcases and backpacks.

The second precaution is - if confronted by criminals then refrain from resisting. Some may think this is passive, but what do murdered victims have in common?

They resisted. Money is replaceable, life isn't.

Another precaution is to stay away from certain areas that are prone to bad things happening. One example is Portugal and 6 de diciembre. In front of Pichincha bank, that's where one victim was murdered. From last years crime thread, I posted about an armed robbery that shocked the nation. It also happened in that same corner.

In 2016, I posted about a car that crashed against a pole at that same corner with CSI police units at the scene. I didn't see what happened, the rest was speculation.

That corner, right there, bad things happen. And I'm glad I moved out of that area despite it being one of the most affluent areas in the city. The only thing that interests me there now is Megamaxi, but I limited going there.

Other precautions is to not withdraw money from ATMS that are located outside of a bank (on the street) or easily seen from the street. Go inside a mall, withdraw money, walking around, drink coffee, do some shopping or whatever and then leave.

Be conscious of your surroundings, be aware of who may be watching or monitoring your actions.

To be continued…..

Wow, is living in Ecuador worth all that trouble?

norviato1 wrote:

Wow, is living in Ecuador worth all that trouble?

Personally, I love Ecuador despite all its faults. Health wise, it has been nice to me considering I suffered from environmental asthma in previous countries. Social life is nice too and the best part about Ecuador. Then there is the natural beauty, next week I'm driving to the coast which is only 5 hours away. And the food is great too, for lunch I just ordered Seco de Chivo and Sancocho for $8.50. Home cooked food delivered to my doorstep. Ecuador makes things so easy.

Crime is a negative that I have adapted to and continue to adapt to. For example, taking some of the precautions that I previously mentioned. Always parking in secure parking areas. Not leaving my drinks unattended. Avoiding some areas of the city. Quito is a big city and with it comes crime, unfortunately.

So for me, Ecuador is well worth it. But it's a personal decision that each potential expat has to consider.

Let's look at some practical ways to help expats avoid being victims of crime.

With regards to withdrawing large sums of money

1. Don't withdraw cash
2. Wire/transfer the money, just fill out a simple form at the bank and you are set.
3. Write a check, and if you don't have a local checking account then ask your bank for a bank cheque which is called cheque de gerencia.

With regards to Scopolamine (if you don't know what this is thenread the 2018 crime thread)

1. Don't leave your drinks unattended at any time.
2. Don't eat or drink anything from strangers on the street.

With regards to express kidnappings.

1. Use corporativo taxis that are usually lined up in designated areas at malls, streets, etc. These taxis are part of a taxi organization and are safer than ones on the street. often there will be control at shopping centers with these taxis, at least in Quito.

2. Call a taxi or have the place you're at call one for you. These taxis will also be part of a corporativo, and places of business will use a trusted source.

3. Use Uber, cabify, etc

With regards to knowing which areas are safe and which aren't

1. Read the news daily
2. Get opinions from locals about different areas

Any additional tips?

Is crime like this all over Ecuador or are some parts safer than others? What about Cuenca - is it safe? Can you use your mobile phone in public or will that make you a target for mugging? What about if it is a luxury phone such as Samsung or iPhone?

fluffyhappybear wrote:

Is crime like this all over Ecuador or are some parts safer than others? What about Cuenca - is it safe? Can you use your mobile phone in public or will that make you a target for mugging? What about if it is a luxury phone such as Samsung or iPhone?

Definitely not, my post was all about Quito. Cuenca is one of the safest cities in Ecuador. As for using a mobile phone, I have an Iphone and use it freely on public streets with the exception of centro histórico. There i'll use it only at cafes or to take pictures at popular public squares where there is a ton of police presence.

That's great to know that Cuenca is safe. So centro histórico is the only place to be careful? Thanks!

fluffyhappybear wrote:

That's great to know that Cuenca is safe. So centro histórico is the only place to be careful? Thanks!

Yes Cuenca is much safer than Quito. My reference for centro histórico was also about Quito.

When you arrive in Cuenca and start making friends and acquaintances, you'll start to know which areas, streets are best to avoid.

Even in Guayaquil, I see people freely using smart phones on public transportation and in the streets of the better neighborhoods of the North. There are some sketchy neighborhoods near el centro, especially around Bahia market where I am more wary.

I'm from Quito myself but have lived in the US since I was a kid. Things here have gotten so toxic that it's pushing me towards Ecuador now that I'm retired. I'm fluent in Spanish but still feel insecure as I don't blend in very well. I know that Quito has much more than other cities to offer. With it's large size comes opportunities in the form of cultural activities and such. Cuenca is a draw because of the large gringo community and it's claim to be safer. My brother still lives in the US but also has a house in Cumbaya which he says it's pretty safe. The only problem is that properties cost as much as some places here in the states. It's a toss up. The idea to have eyes in back of the head to go to the bank isn't very inviting. Agree that the food is cheaper, better and homemade. The stuff we eat here in the US is so processed and it's not even healthy. Tons of overweight people that are in poor shape, not to mention obese. I'm going to do a trial run and see the dentist. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tips!

I recently read that a Russian tourist was stabbed to death in front of his girlfriend because he resisted the robbery. This took place in the Centro Histórico in Quito. Don't know if it was daytime or not.
El Tiempo a Cuenca newspaper reported that a Canadian expat was found dead in his El Centro apartment. Hopefully it was from natural causes. Forensics were investigating the cause. Haven't heard anything else.

Good day everyone,

I am new here and starting my studies in identifying the best place to live in my upcoming retirement.  Any help from our friends already there would be appreciated.  I am thinking of visiting Manta in the near future.

hank you all,

Frank

norviato1 wrote:

I recently read that a Russian tourist was stabbed to death in front of his girlfriend because he resisted the robbery. This took place in the Centro Histórico in Quito. Don't know if it was daytime or not.
El Tiempo a Cuenca newspaper reported that a Canadian expat was found dead in his El Centro apartment. Hopefully it was from natural causes. Forensics were investigating the cause. Haven't heard anything else.

I posted about this murder in my first post. It happened around 8 PM, in a shady staircase area just outside of centro histórico in La Tola. Tenants were quoted in newspaper articles as stating that screams of help were common from those stairs. They said that students were often the victims as they are easy prey for malhechores.

The tourist was murdered by 3 Ecuadorian thugs and a Venezuelan.  Walking around at 8 PM in that area is crazy, especially when carrying a fancy touristy camera. I get uncomfortable as soon as the sun sets in that area or about 6:30.

In my area I can go to Walmart at 2am and nothing happens.
It would take some adjustment to stay inside after dark.
Thanks for the details on the murder, I didn't know exactly where it happened and the circumstances.
I can leave my camera, wrist watch, cellphone at home to avoid robberies but going to the bank sounds like a challenge not knowing if someone is following to rob me. Plus I've been told that it's mostly a cash society and credit cards are not always accepted. I'll see what happens when I'm there.

norviato1 wrote:

Thanks for the details on the murder, I didn't know exactly where it happened and the circumstances.
I can leave my camera, wrist watch, cellphone at home to avoid robberies but going to the bank sounds like a challenge not knowing if someone is following to rob me. Plus I've been told that it's mostly a cash society and credit cards are not always accepted. I'll see what happens when I'm there.

Your not in Kansas anymore.. LOL
You can minimize problems by being careful. Dress like the locals. I try to take money at a mall ATM and never leave immediately after. If I need more funds than one withdrawal I will often take one withdraw and then shop for a while and take a second later, exc. Don't bring attention to yourself by spending lots of time at the ATM. Get the money in your pocket as fast as you can so people dont see it. Many times ATMs have a security guard standing near the ATMs so you mainly have to worry about being a victim after you leave. Go have lunch after your done. Don't take lots of cash and then head right out the door. It's too easy for someone to follow you that way. I have been doing this for years and never had any problem. It is a cash society but more and more places take credit cards. Especially if you go into a mall you will find most do.

The ability to use plastic keeps expanding rapidly. When I came to Guayaquil for my first visit 2 years ago, zero merchants in my girlfriend's neighborhood took a card. Now, I can think of a dozen places that now do.

If you go to a mall, close to 100% take cards.

Even in Guayaquil, there are some 24 hour pharmacies and restaurants. Those areas are well lit and have security. I haven't needed to use them at 2.00 am, because I haven't had that kind of emergency.

I delivered pizza while in college until 3am every weekend. When I did that job I became a robbery risk target. But I was never robbed. I learned to use my judgment to avoid sketchy situations. I learned the habit of carrying less cash. It doesn't change the risk if getting robbed. Carrying less cash means minimizing loss. I apply those lessons here in Ecuador

Thanks for the info.   I am studying various places. Sure I would prefer beachfront but I am openminded.

Just one question if I may.  You mentioned you came the 2 years ago and then you mentioned having a girfriend there. What are the possibilities of meeting a lady frien there? Is it feasible? Is it worthed?  I am of Italian origin and I believe our cultures are somewhat close.

Frank52 wrote:

Thanks for the info.   I am studying various places. Sure I would prefer beachfront but I am openminded.

Just one question if I may.  You mentioned you came the 2 years ago and then you mentioned having a girfriend there. What are the possibilities of meeting a lady friend there? Is it feasible? Is it worthed?  I am of Italian origin and I believe our cultures are somewhat close.

it's totally off topic in this thread, but Ecuadorians use dating websites just like the rest of the world. I don't know what the current hot sites are because I am off the market. however, my girlfriend used to be my business contact, so i met her in a different situation.

I find Ecuadorians to be sweet, warm, affectionate people with big hearts and deep beliefs.  Ecuadorians, in general, seem to be a little quieter and traditional than their neighboring Colombians.

I get more flirty looks and big smiles from more women here than I ever did in the USA, which is a big ego boost, considering i am a middle-aged dude with 20kg to lose. alas, i am spoken for! 

but speaking of crime, my girlfriend has a gringo friend in his late sixties living in Guayaquil. He often gets mixed up with women in their 30s who are quite affectionate-- but also seem to do a great con job of draining his wallet with bottomless pits of need and pity

norviato1 wrote:

I also enjoy the night but as one mayoral candidate, Paola Vintimilla, said, “Quito is like a cemetery after 2 AM.” She wants to make Quito open 24/7 by adding more cops and making public transport 24/7.

Considering that, I regularly stay out until 1:00 AM on weekends. Last night I came home around 12:30 AM, and throughout the night had a lovely time with a friend without personal safety concern.

Drove to the valley then back to city to hang out. The only challenge was finding secure parking, first went to one place and they were full. Then went to another, and they were full but were willing to accommodate if I left the keys, I don't think so.

Then finally negotiated a deal with a security guard who watched over customers cars in front of a restaurant. Initially, he said the parking spots were only for restaurant customers, so I told him please and that I'll give him $5 for 3 hours. So, all was good.

The reality is 80% of cars are stolen off the street parking. Almost all that are broken into to steal whatever are also ones that are parked on the street.

So, it's secure parking or nothing.

Expats and residents just have to be aware of security, whether personal safety or belongings. If I had to sacrifice the night, then I wouldn't live here.

vsimple wrote:
norviato1 wrote:

Expats and residents just have to be aware of security, whether personal safety or belongings. If I had to sacrifice the night, then I wouldn't live here.

Same here. I love going out at night.

At this point, I've spent multiple late nights out in Guayaquil (where I live), Quito, Banos, Montanita, Puerto Lopez, Cuenca, and Ambato. I never felt threatened or suspicious.

But I'm careful, as I said before. I always carry less than $40 cash on me (plus around $10 in dollar coins). I carry a photocopy of my passport in my wallet and my ohio's drivers license if I need ID. I keep only one credit card on me, where the other 2 bank cards and passport stay securely at home in their hiding place. If I were the unfortunate victim of a crime, my losses will be limited. i also have traveler's insurance to mitigate loss and give me additional peace of mind. But here's the thing-- i practice the same things back home in the states!

Useful tips thank you. The ritual of taking money out from the ATM seems intricate lol
I guess we have to adjust and make the best of it.

If you're a resident of Ecuador aren't you supposed to have a cédula? Certainly that would replace your passport and Ohio license?

I was never in Kansas to start with. There are ghettos in the US where you wouldn't be shopping at 2am either. I just happen to live in one of the shrinking pockets of safety for now.
My biggest problem about moving abroad is that I'll loose that part of my life.
Your tips are quite useful and  I thank you for that.

norviato1 wrote:

If you're a resident of Ecuador aren't you supposed to have a cédula? Certainly that would replace your passport and Ohio license?

I am not a full-time resident yet. I have my own business which is online, which allows me to do the digital nomad thing. I have been staying at my girlfriend's apartment in Guayaquil part-time  since 2017. 

I just got my tourist visa extended for another 90 days a couple of weeks ago.

Ah those girlfriends can come in handy when they let you crash their pads for years. lol
No wonder you think Ecuadoreans are so loving haha
Now I understand about your residency status.
You're a cool guy with your safety tips.

Here is a positive update on that corner (portugal and 6 de diciembre) that I posted about. I went by there the other day and noticed a police tent with two motorcycle units. I don't know how long it's been there, but it's located a few meters from where one murder occurred. So, kudos to Ecuadorian police for being pro-active.

Yeah, motorcycle units are the best way to deal with these criminals. This was demonstrated a couple of days ago in Machala when one gun-wielding criminal was chased, corned and captured by 3 motorcycle police units. Have to tip your hat to that display of bravery.  :top:

Great news, let's hope the cops have it completely under control soon.

Ok, the numbers are coming in and so far it's not good. We know that violent robberies and assaults were higher in 2018 than it was in 2017. The statistics for January and February are indicating that 2019 will be worse than 2018.

This is how long-term trends work. There's no quick reversal so we're probably on an upward trend in crime for the next few years.

What's worrying is that express kidnappings are back. From 2015-2017 there were hardly any in the capital. This month alone there are 3 reported cases in the press. A couple of them were very violent as they left one of the victims bloodied in a ditch. This particular case is interesting because it did not occur in a taxi. It happened in González Suárez, outside a bar in which a man was attacked by four criminals. They basically drove around with him withdrawing money from his cards.

Another incident occurred on Naciones Unidas and Amazonas in which case an old man was attacked in a taxi and stabbed in the face because the criminals were not satisfied with their take.

In yet another express kidnapping, a Peruvian runner who came to Ecuador to train with friends was attacked in a taxi in Mariscal and also driven around to deplete his cards. This dude was actually robbed TWICE on the same day. Of course after the last trauma he left on the first flight to Lima.

Another victim in a taxi was a 40 something year old woman who was attacked Cumbayá.

González Suárez, Naciones Unidas, Cumbayá those are some of the nicest areas in the city. To be continued in ensuing post.

Source: Asaltos violentos preocupan en Quito

Wow, it's shocking, what can we do?

norviato1 wrote:

Wow, it's shocking, what can we do?

Yes, the resurgence of express kidnappings is quite concerning. Family and friends visit regularly and now I have to give extra attention to their transportation needs while they are here.

But your question “What can we do?”, is the right question  :top: because we can do something to avoid being victims of this sort of crime.

First, we have to realize that taxis are the prevalent way in which a person is express-kidnapped.

What can we do to avoid expressing kidnappings?

1. Minimize taking taxis off the street especially at night.

2. Use taxi apps, these are safer because taxi, driver and passenger information is available. There is evidence like a paper-trail of  the fare. Furthermore, some of the apps require that the taxista submit a police-certificate.

3. Use a trusted taxi cooperativa because similar to taxi-apps, evidence of the fare is available as the cooperativa office records details of the fare. You can store phone numbers of trusted cooperativas and have them readily available on your phone.

4. Use designated cooperativas at shopping centers, some of these places will actually record the information of taxi and passenger in a ledger. Quicentro for instance as there is an employee who records fare info for the cooperativa near (TGIF)

In conclusion, make it a habit to use taxis in which evidence of the fare could be available to authorities. When there is such accountability, the risk of being express-kidnapped is limited because the drivers know there is a record of the fare.

One of the reasons why I prefer apps like Uber is because of the records. The transaction is recorded, as well as the pick up point and the drop off point. Your trip is tracked/recorded by GPS. If the driver makes a detour, Uber knows it. If the driver makes a  stop along the way, Uber knows it. If there was a problem, it can be reported, by either driver or passenger.

The driver is registered and verified in the Uber system with car VIN, license plate, drivers license numbers, insurance policy. I don't know about Ecuador, but in the US, rideshare drivers have to upload photos of their insurance papers as well as drivers license and vehicle registration. If any of those documents expire, they can't sign in to use the app to make money until the documents are updated. It's a safety feature and quality control. And then the ratings. Did you know that if a driver or passenger ever rates the other one star, Uber blocks those 2 from a ride match again?

I know privacy extremists, trade unionists, etc. don't care for rideshare. And some journalists seem to have an axe to grind, for whatever reason. But personally, I feel like these modern ride systems make me safer.

On the other hand, I'm seeing less crime reported in Guayaquil, but I'm not really tracking it closely, so I could be wrong. The most recent reports I read or saw on TV news is that the perpetrators are identified as foreigners (so, Venezuelans).

The news likes to sensatalize things to sell more papers, so when I hear folks base things on rare events or on a certain group I take it with a big grain of salt. However, using common sense is a good thing to do even if violent crime has not really increased or decreased. And getting transport from documented rides is common sense.

lebowski888 wrote:

On the other hand, I'm seeing less crime reported in Guayaquil, but I'm not really tracking it closely, so I could be wrong.

That's good to hear but can only be verified with numbers. In Quito,robberies (person)  increased 5.74% from 2017 to 2018. And so far this year assaults and violent robberies have increased 5.59% from the same period in 2018 (Jan and Feb) to same period this year. IMO, there is usually a parallel in the trend of crime between Quito and Guayaquil.

Thanks for providing details on crime rate rise. What was the population increase (including those from Venezuela). If the population estimates increased by the same amount, then the crime rate remained exactly the same but the report got more notice by fake news. And is an increase in 5% a likely real increase or just background noise due to poor reporting mechanisms. A big grain of salt for me.

vsimple wrote:
lebowski888 wrote:

On the other hand, I'm seeing less crime reported in Guayaquil, but I'm not really tracking it closely, so I could be wrong.

That's good to hear but can only be verified with numbers. In Quito,robberies (person)  increased 5.74% from 2017 to 2018. And so far this year assaults and violent robberies have increased 5.59% from the same period in 2018 (Jan and Feb) to same period this year. IMO, there is usually a parallel in the trend of crime between Quito and Guayaquil.

Thanks for getting the data. And thus why I hedged my point of view.

Also, BigBrad makes a good point about population growth.

Hopefully this is a blip and the crime rate will turn lower soon

I read the article. They didn't talk about Guayaquil alone but did talk about the whole country. And the whole country had a reported increase.

Bigbrad2008 wrote:

Thanks for providing details on crime rate rise. What was the population increase (including those from Venezuela). If the population estimates increased by the same amount, then the crime rate remained exactly the same but the report got more notice by fake news. And is an increase in 5% a likely real increase or just background noise due to poor reporting mechanisms. A big grain of salt for me.

I think monitoring the statistical trend in crime is important as it helps us know what is happening. For instance, a decade ago there were many express kidnappings per month. In Quito for instance that number was in the hundreds per year. Then over time express kidnappings became very rare, to the point where they were practically non-existent in the capital.

This year, however, their frequency is increasing each month, with 3 in April alone. So where is this trend going? Are we going back to the days where express kidnappings were a normal occurrence.

lebowski888 wrote:
vsimple wrote:
lebowski888 wrote:

Thanks for getting the data. And thus why I hedged my point of view.

Also, BigBrad makes a good point about population growth.

Hopefully this is a blip and the crime rate will turn lower soon

Yes, hopefully.

The good news is that the murder rate remains low at 5.7 per 100,000and practically unchanged from 2017 (actually 3 less murders in 2018). The only other country in Latin America with a lessor homicide rate is Chile.

It's easy to forget that Ecuador's murder rate was once 22 per 100,000.

BTW, the average for Latin America is 19.3