Bringing/Importing motorcycle to Jordan

Hello,

I will be moving to Amman, Jordan from the USA. I have a 2012 BMW R1200GS Adventure and was thinking of bringing it to Jordan.
However, per the destination agent, Motorcycles more than 5 years old cannot be shipped to Jordan.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with similar situation?

Is there a work around? Such as:
"If the consignee is a foreigner, and the car is registered in his/her name, then the vehicle can be imported on a temporary entry basis for 3 months. After 3 months, the temporary entry plates can be renewed for an additional 3 months, after which the car would have to leave the country. "

Or should I just sell it and buy a motorcycle in Jordan?

Thanks,
Nik

Welcome on board and soon in Jordan  :cheers:

So if I interpret correctly what you wrote, you can bring your motor for 6 months and then it must be out of the country. I don't know how long you'll stay in Jordan but is all the hustle worth it ? And maybe very expensive too. You can buy a motor here but it's not easy too as there are a very few motorcyclists here as well but they slowly increase.

Yes, I think it may not worth it with all import taxes, fees, etc.

I imagine it is quite nice to travel Jordan by a motorcycle.

It certainly is.
There's a Harley Davidson club and a bikers corner just outside Amman. Maybe you can join them on one of their events.

Hi Exbald

You can ship the motorcycle to Jordan even if it is more than 5 years old.

If you ship it during summer, they will give you one month entry on foreign number plates, then you need to renew it for another 7 months for a certain fee (around $200).

During winter, they will give you a two month pass and you can renew it for 6 months.

i.e. the total duration for it remaining in Jordan is 8 months in total, then you have to ship it out of the country for 4 months before getting it back again. Or you can ship it out, change ownership and return it immediately.

Documents needed for Jordan

1- Photo of Residency permit in Jordan
2- Photo of Passport
3- 1 or two months vehicle insurance to be renewed again for the additional 6 or 7 months. I recommend doing a one year insurance as it will be cheaper
4- International passing certificate for the car from US Royal Automobile Club

The 5 year thing that your shipper is telling you about is related to putting Jordanian number plates on your motorcycle. So keep it with the american number plate.

Enjoy.

Hi, you seem to be the local expert ;-)
We are travelling end of April by Motorbike to Amman an would need to leave the bikes for about 4 month in Amman.
Would you have any good contact we could start asking for a safe place for 2 bikes?
Thanks,
Josef

Hello exbald,

I wanted to ask you, have you finally imported your bmw to Jordan or not? I am thinking to do the same with mine but I'm not sure about the paperwork.

Hello Tomgut,

Welcome to expat.com!

Unfortunately, exbald has been inactive for a few years now and I doubt that he will be able to share his experience with you.

In case you have any questions, feel free to ask them on the Amman forum itself.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team