I am a TEFL qualified native english speaker

Hi I am a TEFL qualified native english speaker seeking employment as an english teacher. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Native English speakers in TOEFL terms usually means UK, US, Australia and a couple of others so, whilst you might well have English as your first language, you wouldn't be considered a native speaker as such.

I have to agree with Fred. In China, a native speaker is someone from...

The USA
Canada
Britain / UK
Australia
NZ

This excludes many others who speak perfect english. Such as people from South Africa,  Zambia, and the Baltic. It does not mean that they cannot find work, it just means that the rate they can command will be less than a "native" speaker.

I am sure that your english is quite good. In fact, as an attractive young female, you would not have any trouble finding work in china. Howver, when you work, you will probably be marketed as an American or some other "native speaker".

That is just the way it is.

BTW. Great wishes on your career in china. You might want to connect to ira who runs a nice english school here. He's a regular on this forum. Sorry but I don't know his contact info off hand. He will certainly be able to set you up.

If you contact me, I could hook you up with a school or two in Shenzhen. That is, if it doesn't work out with ira.

VANNROX :

I have to agree with Fred. In China, a native speaker is someone from...

The USA
Canada
Britain / UK
Australia
NZ

This excludes many others who speak perfect english. Such as people from South Africa,  Zambia, and the Baltic. It does not mean that they cannot find work, it just means that the rate they can command will be less than a "native" speaker.

I am sure that your english is quite good. In fact, as an attractive young female, you would not have any trouble finding work in china. Howver, when you work, you will probably be marketed as an American or some other "native speaker".

That is just the way it is.

BTW. Great wishes on your career in china. You might want to connect to ira who runs a nice english school here. He's a regular on this forum. Sorry but I don't know his contact info off hand. He will certainly be able to set you up.

If you contact me, I could hook you up with a school or two in Shenzhen. That is, if it doesn't work out with ira.

If one is originally from a non-native English speaking country, is he/she considered a native English speaker after being naturalized as a citizen of one of the countries listed above?

@post That is an interesting question. You know, I would say "yes"...

However, the teacher would still need to show their credentials, which would include a degree, and a ESL certificate of some type and two years experience teaching English.

And...

The school with look at you and your marketability.  If you are talkative and you make friends easily that will be a positive. If you are female, blonde haired, blue eyed and thin. That will be a positive also. Finally, if you fit the steriotypical expectations of what a English speaking foreigner is, then yes you will get the job.