National Insurance Number

Hello,

We just moved from Italy to Newmarket (Suffolk) and we are a little confused about NI.

Yesterday my husband made a call to get an appointment and seems we have to wait long to get a call back. Also still we didn't rent the home and for sure they need the address. I was googling to find some related information or may the experience of other expats. Is there anyone here to share his/her experience for this issue.

Thanks for your help,
Federica

Hi Federica :)

Did you call this Telephone number: 0300 200 3500?

Mor information can be found here > National Insurance: general enquiries - GOV.UK.

Hope this is of help.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hi again and welcome to England.

From what you've said, you have done the right thing; your husband can still start work, he just informs his new employer that he has applied for his NI number.  They may ask you for an address to send the card to, but unlike the rest of Europe, we do not have a national registration system in the UK, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

@Cynic, they no longer issue cards, they just send a letter with the number.

It might be easier to fill out an enquiry form HERE.

If you are waiting for the number, it can take up to 3 weeks in the post.

SimCityAT wrote:

@Cynic, they no longer issue cards, they just send a letter with the number.

Interesting, I just read that they started phasing them out in July 2011, our twins must have been amongst the last to actually get a card.

To my knowledge it's to save money and those getting new numbers just get a letter. This is in Warwickshire.  Not sure it's the same in other areas.

Certainly all about money; the article I read reckoned it would save a million every year, whether it has or not, who knows?

I arrived in the UK last September.  I applied for my interview which happened 3 weeks later.  6 weeks later I received a letter with my NIN.  You are able to work up to 3 months without the NIN..so yes you can start working right away.  Welcome/Ciao!