Visa Border-Run Restrictions?

Hello-
As a US citizen I intend to get a one-year multiple entry visa for Vietnam. I am aware that I will have to leave the country every three months. Can I simply do an immediate turnaround and return to Vietnam on the same day I depart. For Instance, can I fly from Da Nang to Bangkok in the morning and return in the afternoon of the same day. I ask this because some countries require that you be out of the country for a certain period of time before returning.
Thank You! D~

Yes, you can; many people do that routinely instead of taking a real trip.

Thank you for the QUICK response. I can breathe a bit easier now!  :)
D~

Hi D~

I did the visa run last week on the 1st of Feb. Instead of flying I ended up going to the Moc Bai border. Was fairly simple as I it's my 2nd time. First time can be a major issue if you don't know what to do exactly. If you want further information I can elaborate and provide sources if you want this option.

As for flying out and back in, just make sure you get the invitation letter ready before hand. There are services that can provide you the letter. Let me know if you need help and I can refer you to some places if you don't have one already. Be sure to apply for the correct invitation whether it's leaving at the airport or to Moc Bai.

Hope that helps.

Phi Long wrote:

Hi D~

I did the visa run last week on the 1st of Feb. Instead of flying I ended up going to the Moc Bai border. Was fairly simple as I it's my 2nd time. First time can be a major issue if you don't know what to do exactly. If you want further information I can elaborate and provide sources if you want this option.

As for flying out and back in, just make sure you get the invitation letter ready before hand. There are services that can provide you the letter. Let me know if you need help and I can refer you to some places if you don't have one already. Be sure to apply for the correct invitation whether it's leaving at the airport or to Moc Bai.

Hope that helps.

Do you need an invitation letter when you are doing an exit and return run?

I would presume that the visa is a one-year multi and all that is required is to leave and re-enter without an invitation letter.

colinoscapee wrote:

Do you need an invitation letter when you are doing an exit and return run?

I would presume that the visa is a one-year multi and all that is required is to leave and re-enter without an invitation letter.

That's my thought too.

deebee123 wrote:

Hello-
As a US citizen I intend to get a one-year multiple entry visa for Vietnam. I am aware that I will have to leave the country every three months. Can I simply do an immediate turnaround and return to Vietnam on the same day I depart.

Phi Long wrote:

As for flying out and back in, just make sure you get the invitation letter ready before hand.

As Colin already suggested, this is not applicable when using an active visa.

The OP would only need this if attempting to reenter Vietnam on a new or renewed visa.

Thanks everyone for the quick response. The consensus is that a letter is not required if the visa is active.
RE: Moc Bai border--- I would appreciate any additional information, such as what means of transportation did you use, how long it takes, etc. I will be leaving from Da Nang.
Thanks Much!
D~

Yes, if the Visa is still active, there's no need for an invitation letter. Just go in and out as mentioned above.

Since you are leaving from Da Nang, your best bet is a Lao Bao Visa Run. I'm not familiar with this but I did a google search and found information.

http://beyond-danang.weebly.com/lao-bao-visa-run.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qECPCGcj2E

As for more information on the Moc Bai Border run from Ho Chi Minh City, you can read it all in this link below.

https://www.citypassguide.com/en/travel … hould-know

Perfect! Thanks much!!!
D~

You (OP) might also find some interesting info in this recent thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=824846

One more question about one-year Vietnam visa for US citizen:
I am residing in Chiang Mai Thailand right now. Am I correct in assuming that I can obtain the one-year visa from the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok? I once read that these visas can only be obtained in the country of your citizenship. Please reassure me that this is not the case!
Thanks!
D~

deebee123 wrote:

One more question about one-year Vietnam visa for US citizen:
I am residing in Chiang Mai Thailand right now. Am I correct in assuming that I can obtain the one-year visa from the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok? I once read that these visas can only be obtained in the country of your citizenship. Please reassure me that this is not the case!
Thanks!
D~

I do not think that is the case because you can get a VOA sent to your email anywhere. But perhaps going through the embassy that might be the case.

As a US citizen you can get a Visa on line. You pay the fee, get a letter of conformation within 3 days, print it out & present the letter first as you check in at the airport you are leaving & then at the VOA desk, pay the visa fee in USD & you are in. But be prepared for a long wait at the VOA desk if you arrive with 100 others at the VOA desk.
I am British &  do it every 3 months & have lived in Vietnam 11 years.

Thanks Much... After dealing with the complexities of visas in Thailand, I have become paranoid about visas. Based on your report, I feel relieved now!  :D
D~

Dont worry, its very easy & painless. I actually do it on line here in HCM, print off the letter, fly to BKK Vietjet evening & fly back next day. I used to work oil rigs in Thailand 28 on 28 off & come Vietnam for 28 off. I rent an apartment here.
One tip..check a few sights on the cost for the letter cos it varies greatly what they charge. My 3 months visa costs me 15usd for the letter but i have seen sights charging like 50usd for the letter. Remember you have to pay the visa fee on top at the VOA desk
Good luck

Perfect!

For future reference, I spoke to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok, and they informed me that one can obtain a visa at any Embassy and/or Consulate: No need to be in your country of citizenship to get a visa!
D~

deebee123 wrote:

For future reference, I spoke to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok, and they informed me that one can obtain a visa at any Embassy and/or Consulate: No need to be in your country of citizenship to get a visa!
D~

Well that has been SOP around the world since I started traveling over 50 years ago. But so many do not understand what a visa is so it is understandable that they can not figure this out.

I just recently did this. I am inHCMC and have the 1 year multi entry. When you arrive, the customs agent will date stamp your passport
And handwrite a date of 90 days from that stamp underneath the stamp. That's the date you must leave by and can re enter. I had a travel agent book me a reclining style seat bus ticket to Pnom phen for purposes of exit/ reentry and new 90'days. The Cambodia Visa was 35 USD..pay in USD is better if you can. The bus attendant took my passport and handled everything and all I had to do is walk through Vietnam border and walk to Cambodia border and then go other side and catch the bus coming back....however I wanted to check out the detention center and killing fields in phnom phen and decided to stay a couple of nights to check out the city...I stayed at the Tao Residence Riverside in which you can book through any site...I got best rate through Agoda I think. That hotel is close to street 136 where the bars are ;) if you want night life. The hotel is guest friendly as well as it is like Vietnam illegal to bring your girlfriend to stay with you.

I recommend the killing fields trip....don't book a tour...it will be cheaper to have a tuk tuk driver take you to the detention center for like 5 dollars or pay him 25 for all day and then go to the killing fields after. Ty can pay a few dollars and by the headset tour...it's way cheaper and better than booking a tour for that. I was going to take another bus to Siem Reap to see the Angkor Wat temples but that bus was another 7 hours from Pnom phen. Another alternative is to book a cheap air ticket on Cambodia airlines (run by vietnam airlines) and get to Pnom phen in about a little more than 1 hour versus 6 hours on a bus...I didn't want to spend the money or handle the Cambodia Visa purchase myself and was ok with the bus.

I went by myself and had a great time and was safe...just be careful at night and good luck ...it's very easy and don't need any special letters

If you go Thailand you will also need a Vias for there as well I think and a bit more expensive.

deebee123 wrote:

D~

You're thinking too much...keep in mind a lot lot of people have to exit Vietnam after 90 days...you're not the first person that will have to do it. They have the system down and of you stay HCMC it's so easier to just go Cambodia and back...if you're not sure, check with any travel event here and tell them what you need done, they will take care of t for you....