New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hello,
I am Valérie Barthélémy, i am currently working as an occupational and art therapist in Munich, Germany. I am planning to move to Vietnam and I am searching a job there. I will enjoy to share informations and experiences !
Have a good day !

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and just moved to Bien Hoa a few days ago! I'm an English teacher from Canada. I'm here alone, and am wondering - are there any social activities or meetups here? I've seen them in HCM...thanks! :)

Hey I too live in bien hoa I'm from USA, I actually live in cambodia half a month bien hoa the other half, I'm free most days maybe some coffee, my girlfriend works in bien hoa and she's gone all day I'm usually bored, maybe meet up exchange stories, welcome

Hello,
I'm Michael, an English teacher currently working in Italy .
I have a teaching position in Hanoi from next spring. I expect I'll be posting various questions here regarding accommodation, transport, banking etc.
I've visited Hanoi a couple of times on holiday.
cheers!

It2VN wrote:

Hello,
I'm Michael, an English teacher currently working in Italy .
I have a teaching position in Hanoi from next spring. I expect I'll be posting various questions here regarding accommodation, transport, banking etc.
I've visited Hanoi a couple of times on holiday.
cheers!

Welcome!

Let us know if you need help searching the forum.

Accommodations, Transport, Banking and many other subjects are already covered here at length in the forum discussions.

Cheers!

Hello everyone, nice to meet all :)

Hello All,

MY name is Brian,
I am a Vietnamese Chinese Canadian and currently visiting HCM and Bien Hoa.  I think there Vietnam is a great country with wonderful food.

I currently work as a Environmental Consultant in Canada. If there is a opportunity to meet with some friends here. Just PM me.

Would like to start a volleyball team and go for coffee or something with fellow Expats.

Cheers!

brianwutang wrote:

Hello All,

MY name is Brian,
I am a Vietnamese Chinese Canadian and currently visiting HCM and Bien Hoa.  I think there Vietnam is a great country with wonderful food.

I currently work as a Environmental Consultant in Canada. If there is a opportunity to meet with some friends here. Just PM me.

Would like to start a volleyball team and go for coffee or something with fellow Expats.

Cheers!

I would imagine, particularly if you can speak even a little passable Vietnamese, there could be a lot of opportunity to find good employment in your chosen occupation.  There certainly is enough pollution to go around. 
:joking::mad:

Hi I'm Tash. I am moving to Ho chi Minh on the 10th of January. I will be based at a school in district 2 and hoping to find accomodation, gym and yoga studio in that vicinity. I look forward to sharing discussions with you in my planning and arrival in Vietnam.

hi all, kevin here, in philippines now, coming to vietnam early next year.

movielvr wrote:

hi all, kevin here, in philippines now, coming to vietnam early next year.

Howdy Kevin,

It would be interesting to know the general reasons you are leaving the PI for VN, just for the sake of comparison.

I'm guessing you have been to VN before.

Anyway, if you have any questions, ask away...

no, never been to vietnam before,wanted to visit for some time.ill think of some questions and get back to you, thanks!

btw, most food here sucks,but then im from new orleans

movielvr wrote:

Food, traffic, poverty, typhoons, communist terrorists, muslim terrorists, sanctioned vigilante justice, are some reasons I gave Philippines a miss. 
"People speak English there".
Not good enough, scale still balanced to 'nope'.

Spicy seafood rice soups BBQ and French legacy we got in Vietnam.
Even bayous and floods, we call em District 2 and Mekong delta.
Sorry no gators tho. Welcome  :cheers:

gobot wrote:
movielvr wrote:

Food, traffic, poverty, typhoons, communist terrorists, muslim terrorists, sanctioned vigilante justice, are some reasons I gave Philippines a miss. 
"People speak English there".
Not good enough, scale still balanced to 'nope'.

Spicy seafood rice soups BBQ and French legacy we got in Vietnam.
Even bayous and floods, we call em District 2 and Mekong delta.

...and we have NOODLES!  :top:

gobot wrote:

Never heard of crocodiles?   :o

Dear all,

I am not an expat.  I am a Vietnamese American physician, practicing and living in the US looking for opportunity of medical volunteering work in my field of radiology/mammography in Vietnam.  Due to the rather specialized field of medicine that I am in, my search on medical mission trips/organization is rather unfruitful.  Much appreciate any guidance or information that expats currently in Vietnam can provide in seeking such organization/ contact person.
Thank you in advance

Welcome to Hanoi. I am Canadian, live in Tay Ho District, near the lake..Just moved here after 2 years in Hai Phong..

Reidar

Hi everyone

I am Amit. I initially lived in Nottm as a Dentist and then in London as a Business Development Consultant. All that is now irrelevant as I'm another who is in semi retirement / long term vacation and choosing Da Nang as the place to check out & reside.

I've done all the members clubs such as Round Table (my favourite) / Rotary & Masons. Been out of them for years now.

My favourite indulgences are movies, live bands & stand up comedy. Naturally, eating and imbibing, in good company, is top of the list.

Accordingly, I have to reluctantly go to the gym to control the obvious effects of this indulgence. I like to swim & cycle, but don't know the safer places to try for that yet.

I have the dry English sense of humour & happy to meet others with thick skin who enjoy banter. Other than that I will try to give as much to this forum as I take. I will arrive in Da Nang on Dec3rd for 8 days to see how much pleasure it gives me so that I can return!

Thanks for reading, if you got this far!

Hi Julien

As a new member to the Vietnam forum I am trying to workout where do I apply my background and introduce myself.

Do you press "New Topic" box or simply reply to your message here,  very interesting discussions and love to share some of my experience here.

cheers
john

Dear Readers

Have lived in Sydney most of my life, My background has been in the Arts as Graphic Designer and Artist (painter) and amateur Photographer. I have been in many Life Drawing (figure drawing) Groups in Sydney, Have exhibited in several art openings. I belong to two Art societies, Liverpool Art Society (LAS) and Fairfield Art Society (FAS), both based in the western region of Sydney.

As I cared for my late mother and father I simply lost touch with my colleagues in the advertising industry, I do apply my Graphic Design skills on a small scale for personal friends and family.

I was in fact suggested to care as a profession so I decided to do just that and have been involved with a one of the largest company in New South Wales. As my heart thirsts and hunger for getting back to the art world I try and apply as much skills and talent these days.

Although I have been to Europe many years ago, have traveled to the USA few times. I have been fascinated with the Asian part of the world as I really haven't explored this part of the world much. I have traveled to Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Fiji and at last I made it to Vietnam, having said that I would love to stay in vietnam as I found this culture most interesting in history and all its colourful and sad background.

When I travel I observe and try to understand the culture I am with in all its colour and beauty, listening to the language, behavior and getting a smile from the locals. I explore the history of the culture through the Art Institutions just to give myself a brief exposure to the way people think and behave. I carry little art equipment just to capture the essence and vibrance of the daily chores of the society, but would love to bring along more of my art equipment to paint and draw.

I do have many hobbies such as Photography, Table Tennis, Swimming, art exhibitions, gym workout, walking and exploring, love to play US pool and UK Snooker as well, Music specially Jazz, Cafe or Lounge Music, Reading, eating chocolate, coffee, wine and cooking with Herbs and Spices.

I belong to Toastmasters International "Smooth Speech Toastmasters Club", based in Sydney and also The Australian Speak Easy Association (support network for people who stutter).

I speak English, Assyrian and little Arabic,

cheers
john :)

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Dear Readers

Have lived in Sydney most of my life, My background has been in the Arts as Graphic Designer and Artist (painter) and amateur Photographer. I have been in many Life Drawing (figure drawing) Groups in Sydney, Have exhibited in several art openings. I belong to two Art societies, Liverpool Art Society (LAS) and Fairfield Art Society (FAS), both based in the western region of Sydney.

As I cared for my late mother and father I simply lost touch with my colleagues in the advertising industry, I do apply my Graphic Design skills on a small scale for personal friends and family.

I was in fact suggested to care as a profession so I decided to do just that and have been involved with a one of the largest company in New South Wales. As my heart thirsts and hunger for getting back to the art world I try and apply as much skills and talent these days.

Although I have been to Europe many years ago, have traveled to the USA few times. I have been fascinated with the Asian part of the world as I really haven't explored this part of the world much. I have traveled to Japan, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Fiji and at last I made it to Vietnam, having said that I would love to stay in vietnam as I found this culture most interesting in history and all its colourful and sad background.

When I travel I observe and try to understand the culture I am with in all its colour and beauty, listening to the language, behavior and getting a smile from the locals. I explore the history of the culture through the Art Institutions just to give myself a brief exposure to the way people think and behave. I carry little art equipment just to capture the essence and vibrance of the daily chores of the society, but would love to bring along more of my art equipment to paint and draw.

I do have many hobbies such as Photography, Table Tennis, Swimming, art exhibitions, gym workout, walking and exploring, love to play US pool and UK Snooker as well, Music specially Jazz, Cafe or Lounge Music, Reading, eating chocolate, coffee, wine and cooking with Herbs and Spices.

I belong to Toastmasters International "Smooth Speech Toastmasters Club", based in Sydney and also The Australian Speak Easy Association (support network for people who stutter).

I speak English, Assyrian and little Arabic,

cheers
john :)

What did you have for breakfast today?

Hi OoeanBeach
love your sense of humour, I realized later I wrote little too much, is there a way to edit my intro?
cheers
john

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Hi OoeanBeach
love your sense of humour, I realized later I wrote little too much, is there a way to edit my intro?
cheers
john

Welcome to the forum, John.

I wouldn't change a word.

It's a grand introduction.

FYI, after posting anywhere in the forum, there is a 60 minute window when you can edit (but not delete) your post.

If you ever want to totally delete one of your own posts, choose the "report" option and ask ADMIN to delete it.

Hey welcome sometimes the web site isn't easy to negotiate, but your doing great welcome I'm in bien hoa , although I love cambodia my special person is in Vietnam, so I'm just getting used to it, although the Vietnamese are wonderful kind people, I find they are not as approachable as Khmer people, I'm hoping to adapt! Any suggestions are appreciated, maybe a expat to talk with sometime ?

klpham71 wrote:

Dear all,

I am not an expat.  I am a Vietnamese American physician, practicing and living in the US looking for opportunity of medical volunteering work in my field of radiology/mammography in Vietnam.  Due to the rather specialized field of medicine that I am in, my search on medical mission trips/organization is rather unfruitful.  Much appreciate any guidance or information that expats currently in Vietnam can provide in seeking such organization/ contact person.
Thank you in advance

My wife (physician) recommends two hospitals that do a lot of charity work. You should contact them directly, both are located in central Saigon. Bệnh viện Ung Bướu specializes in oncology, in Binh Thanh district.  Bệnh viện Từ Dũ is a major obstetrics hospital in District 1.

Hello :) My husband and I are moving to Da Nang in February. I'm American with dual Australian citizenship and hubby is from Australia. We are pretty active in the expat community here in Queensland and looking forward to meeting other expats.  Is there a "dumb questions" part of the forum? I feel like all my questions are going to be in that category.

LutheranChick wrote:

Hello :) My husband and I are moving to Da Nang in February. I'm American with dual Australian citizenship and hubby is from Australia. We are pretty active in the expat community here in Queensland and looking forward to meeting other expats.  Is there a "dumb questions" part of the forum? I feel like all my questions are going to be in that category.

Ha!

Every thread here is an Equal Opportunity Dumb Questions thread.

When you get digital eyebrows raised at you (or sarcasm from people such as myself) it's usually because the question has already been addressed multiple times in the forum.

My best advice is to become very familiar with the search function using keywords.

If you don't find your question answered quickly, create a new thread in the right place and category.

For instance, if you have a general question about banking, navigate to "Vietnam > Banks and finance" and post your new question.

If you want to know about the cost of living in Dalat, navigate to "Vietnam > Da Lat > Cost of living"

It helps to make your heading as specific as possible in a few words.

So, instead of a title such as "Banking Question" when you want to know about wire transfers, put the words "wire transfers" in your subject line.

Also, whenever replying to a specific post, please learn to use the "quote" function.

Some threads have many posts, and it helps to get good feedback if your question is understood in context.

You will likely do just fine here, especially given your humble attitude.

Unlike me... 😉

Hi,

My name is Bill and I'm considering moving to VN. I am a US merchant seaman, so I'm not concerned about work opportunities in VN. I'll be coming to HCMC in February and spend the month travelling to Hanoi to try and get the "feel" for the country. I'll spend a few days in HCMC before and after my trip and hope to meet up with some Expats for a beer or three!

I have some friends in HCMC, but am not sure about living there. Dalat sounds like a beautiful place, so I'd love to hear from anyone living in that area!

Cheers,

Bill

Hey there! I'm Lisa and I hail from California.

I plan on moving to Hanoi in August to begin an internship with the UNESCO Field Office based there. I hold degrees in Art History and Philosophy from the University of California, Los Angeles (Go Bruins!), and I'm excited to be putting them to practical use with UNESCO.

I have never been to Vietnam. I am very excited and perhaps even more naive. I am currently looking for guidance from seasoned expats or Hanoi locals to help me navigate what I should be expecting from all sectors--housing, language learning, helpful advice, etc.

Nice to meet you all!

lisaaubry wrote:

Hey there! I'm Lisa and I hail from California.

I plan on moving to Hanoi in August to begin an internship with the UNESCO Field Office based there. I hold degrees in Art History and Philosophy from the University of California, Los Angeles (Go Bruins!), and I'm excited to be putting them to practical use with UNESCO.

I have never been to Vietnam. I am very excited and perhaps even more naive. I am currently looking for guidance from seasoned expats or Hanoi locals to help me navigate what I should be expecting from all sectors--housing, language learning, helpful advice, etc.

Nice to meet you all!

There is a Facebook group known as "Hanoi Massive" which might prove useful to you.

Good luck!

Howdy everyone!

I'm Mark Arinsberg a native of Los Angeles, California currently living in the beautiful Southern Oregon town of Ashland. I'm excited to announce that I am currently preparing to come to Ho Chi Minh City in January 2020. I'm a seasoned creative professional with over 20 years of experience as well as a podcaster. Thank you in advance for the opportunity to discus what interesting work possibilities may be available for me when I get there.

Thank you for your time.

Warm regards,
Mark

Here To Serve:  I may be wrong about this but I think this forum already has a heretoserve.  If so you might want to rethink your name.

You might want to look over this rather long and ongoing  thread on the topic of blacklisting by immigration:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=827419

One poster described being blacklisted in part for telling immigration that he was a photographer.  The government in Vietnam is very sensitive to criticism, whether real or only perceived.  As you mention that you are a podcaster, please watch your topics closely.

Thanks for the heads up. When I was in Thailand, I just said I was a Graphic Designer. That seemed safe enough. Will change my "here to serve" title.

Thanks again.

Welcome I live in bien hoa a few kilometers from Saigon I came from Ashland Oregon, lived there 18 years , you will love Saigon

Hi OceanBeach
Could you guide me to the 60 window, tried to search but not sure where to edit my Intro, its little too much not sure, thanks
Cheers
John

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Hi OceanBeach
Could you guide me to the 60 window, tried to search but not sure where to edit my Intro, its little too much not sure, thanks
Cheers
John

Too late to edit.

This site only gives 60 minutes to edit a post.

The only other option is to report your post to admin and ask them to delete it.

Then you would make a new post.

I highly recommend against doing that.

Just leave what you wrote.

Probably more important is the intro that you put with your profile, and you can change that as often as you want.

Cheers!

Hi OceanBeach
Many thanks for the reply and will decide later what to do,
cheers

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Hi OceanBeach
Many thanks for the reply and will decide later what to do,
cheers

Please learn to use the quote function, especially in this very long thread.

Cheers!

Hi there everyone, I am from Singapore with Vietnamese root, going to HCMC for a year starting January

Closed