New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Yakultr wrote:

...with a 1 year business visa can it be renewed without leaving or is there a longer option once settled?

Get married.

Become an investor in a Vietnamese business.

Get hired to work for someone else.

Those subjects are already covered in the forum.

Use keywords to search.

old_new wrote:

hi,

I guess you first apply to Vietnam with 1 year business visa, which is good.
About extension without leaving the country, I am not sure about this, as far as I know, now is very difficult. Maybe during the time you are here, the regulations would change. You do have time to prepare.

where to stay? District 2 is best known for foreigners to stay in Saigon.
you have a lot of options there.
District 3 is another nice place as well, depending on where you work, time of commuting everyday should be a thing to consider as well.

good luck

I was looking for somewhere quieter, perhaps Qui Nhon or similar. What do you think?

Thanks for the visa info 😊

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Yakultr wrote:

...with a 1 year business visa can it be renewed without leaving or is there a longer option once settled?

Get married.

Become an investor in a Vietnamese business.

Get hired to work for someone else.

Those subjects are already covered in the forum.

Use keywords to search.

Thanks, still getting used to the forum and how to use it 😊

Hello I am Sara and I want to make friends in my new city Saigon! :)

Hi. I'm Arthur Hermandez from Philippines. I stay here in Vietnam for 2 years, working on a restaurant in District 1. I am a computer technician in my country before i moved here. Hope i can share some of my knowledge about troubleshooting computers here to help other members.. I find expat.com as a very helful and useful to all the members. Lot of good people to meet ready to give hand to anyone needs help. Hope site stays like this. Thank you so much, and have a good day to all..

Hello I am new to Saigon, I am from the USA but I have lived in Cambodia for two years, I'm 62 retired , seem to occupy my time without working for several years , but I know from Cambodia ex pat.com their is some great advice.

Hello expat friends,

My name is Luna Deberry, Vietnamese born woman, but living abroad since 50 years.   I'm living in Rome, Italy now, but wish to move to Vung Tau for 3,4 months a year and eventually extend longer if the heat or street food do not kill me first.
I have posted my first concern on a new thread "safety for woman", but I will have to ask more questions regarding apartment rental, volunteering in charity  or anything concerning moving.
For the mean time I'm glad to meet you here in this forum.  Hope you all enjoy your stay in Vung Tau.

Yes I just returned from Vung Tau from a weekend visit , I'm in Saigon in a apartment retired from the USA, I personally think Vung Tau is underated, it's a really nice little place, I eat the street food , never was sick, and the breeze is wonderful, sure feels cooler there, I really like it a bit cheaper than Saigon, yet it seems to have everything there you could want, good choice I think

Xin chào! My name is Ian. I am currently living with my Taiwanese boyfriend in HCMC.

We have travelled to Đà Nẵng, Hội An, Huế, Nha Trang, and Đà Lạt for this Tết Nguyên Đán. I would like to stay in Vietnam til my boyfriend's project accomplished, which would probably take two years or more. I am now looking for a business analyst or relevant position in a multinational corporation in Ho Chi Minh City.

I have three years of experience in professional services from overseas. I also have a master's degree in IT Management. I speak Mandarin and Shanghainese as my primary languages. My Japanese and German proficiency is around elementary. I am having my courses of Vietnamese at the moment and picking up Cantonese and Hokkien for my own interests.

It is a pleasure to meet all of you guys. Wish you a nice weekend! Xin cảm ơn

If you speak mardarin first of all I envy you, second you should have no problems in Southeast Asia finding a goo position, that's 100%

Hello,

My name is Darrell and I'm new to HCMC. I'm looking to establish friendships locally and start learning Vietnamese. I'm currently staying in District 1 and plan to live in District 2 soon.

Regards,

-Darrell

Hey Darryl, good luck on the Vietnamese, I lived in cambodia almost three years and it's a word and phrase based language, Vietnamese is tonal, your a better man than me for trying, I'm older though , but I would be interested in seeing how hard it really is , most websites I've seen say don't even attempt it unless you are really talented at language , I'm from California, so I can speak some spanish, I'm interested to finding out how really difficult it is . Good luck , I have heard there are 7 tones , ha at my age that's impossible ! Yet I have seen plenty of western people speak seemely well ?

I'm actually from California as well. I've dabbled in French, Spanish, and German. I've been using Duolingo and youtube to pickup Vietnamese but need a parent speaker to work on correct tonal form. I'm not into the bar scene so I came to expat.com hoping to meet people here in HCMC.

Any suggestions on places to meet people are much appreciated!

darrell_parham wrote:

Hey Darrell,

Some great ideas:

public parks, churches, restaurants, random places on the street, coffee shops, English clubs, board game cafes, shopping malls, suburbs or small towns, resorts, the beach, swimming pools, pretty much if you are outgoing enough, you can meet people anywhere. You can also meet people online first or on an app, and then meet up with them later.

The best places I find to meet people / find people are at church groups and English clubs/cafes, but your mileage may vary.

Places I generally avoid are bars and pubs because I'm not into the loud music, smoky, drunken/drugged out atmosphere.

Message me for further, more specific ideas.

darrell_parham wrote:

I'm actually from California as well. I've dabbled in French, Spanish, and German. I've been using Duolingo and youtube to pickup Vietnamese but need a parent speaker to work on correct tonal form. I'm not into the bar scene so I came to expat.com hoping to meet people here in HCMC.

If you are staying at a hotel with a semi-western breakfast buffet, get up early enough to be the first person there, then camp out in front of the bacon...

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

To add to the suggestions of wildwildwest one place where I met several local people was the public swimming pool.  The pool I went to was close to a hospital and frequented by doctors early in the morning.  Many doctors learn at least basic English in order to be able to read scientific journals but of course not all become conversant.  I met several, but formed a quite close association with one.  I also met a freelance mechanic at the pool, who spoke English very well.  His business was based on coming to the client's house and working on the motorbikes there; sort of "have wrenches, will travel."  As our bike was still under warranty, I never utilized his services but certainly might have if we had an older bike.

Yep that's exactly what I do hit the bacon early , best Cambodian tip yet ha

Hi Expats,

I'm Adrian, photographer with >15 years experience .  I'm travelling and staying in HCMc.

nice to meet you all Expat.
Best wishes for you all

Thank you.

Hi,

I comes from Taiwan and live in Ho Chin Minh Ciity for a half month.

This is my first time to work in oversea, no friends here.

I wish I can enjoy the life in Vietnam soon.

Another thing is I am looking for a tutor English teacher, If you are interning, please contact me.

Thank you.

Hi I'm from California, retired in Bình than district, I will help you , I'm retired but am willing to help with English

Hi Expats,

I arrived in HCMC a couple of weeks for work. Just looking to increase my currently limited network of friends.

Also looking for a new apartment in Thảo Điền.

Thanks
Si

Hi There,  Don from Canada.  I spent two weeks in Vietnam in January.  Week 1 in HCMC, week 2 in Da Nang.  I love, love, love Da Nang.  Considering moving here in the next 1 to 3 years... retiring early to enjoy a relaxed, warm and beautiful life.  Hoping to learn from those of you who have gone before me... and still considering a couple locations in Philippines and Thailand... but it needs to we humid and 25 - 32 temp.  Ahhhhhhhh.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Don

Hi all, I am from India. I just arrived in Ho Chi Minh last few weeks for travel and work. I am also a Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher.

It's great to know the expats here who are from different countries.

Cheers!

I hope this isn't a 2nd post - I tried to introduce myself 2 months ago & I don't see it here - My name is Chad & I have been living mostly in the US but more and more in HCM lately.  Would love to meet up with other expats for dinner or drinks sometime.

surfsportz wrote:

I hope this isn't a 2nd post - I tried to introduce myself 2 months ago & I don't see it here - My name is Chad & I have been living mostly in the US but more and more in HCM lately.  Would love to meet up with other expats for dinner or drinks sometime.

This was your first introduction:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 69#4507710

Hi...
Good Morning!

My name is Prabit Sharma and I am from Bhutan.. It's just been a month that i am living in Ho Chi Minh City... I am working in a company here. I am interested on your post that you are looking for an English Tutor.. If you are still searching for one, I can teach Engish for few hours during weekends or after office during week days...

And plus ready to meet up with some expats to make friends.

Thanks

Hello, I'm HangVi, my boyfriend is Miguel from Peru. So he will be here with me next year and we planned to live in Hanoi. He is a businessman who doing family business in Lima, Peru. So I decided to create an account for my boyfriend and we both will use it.
Nice to meet you all here !
PS: Sorry if my English is not so good

Hello ,

This is Swagata Ghosh from India . I want to move in Vietnam and looking for a job . Would you mind suggest anything for getting a job in Vietnam ?

Thank you .

Sincerely ,
Swagata Ghosh

Hello,
My name is Rob, formerly living in the USA. I have travelled for a few years in Vietnam. My latest stay is in Hanoi Phu Gia. I like this forum to get tips to do with services and cultural issues in Vietnam.  I was hoping to find a teaching job, but maybe next year.
Thanks to the contributors for all the great information..
Rob

Prabit2019 wrote:

Hi...
Good Morning!

My name is Prabit Sharma and I am from Bhutan.. I am interested on your post that you are looking for an English Tutor.. If you are still searching for one, I can teach Engish for few hours during weekends or after office during week days...

Whose post are you replying to, Prabit?

swagata87 wrote:

Hello ,

This is Swagata Ghosh from India . I want to move in Vietnam and looking for a job . Would you mind suggest anything for getting a job in Vietnam ?

That's a vague question and request.  What kind of job are you looking for and what qualifications do you have for such job?

First of all sorry for a vague request and question . I have done my btech in computer science & engg and working from 2012. Present, i am working as a Head of Business at a pharma company . As my background from IT , i am looking for IT related job .

Would you mind telling me how i can get a job in Vietnam ?

Thank You.   For helping me resist the temptation to tell you...      :mad:

I am Reidar, Canadian and retired Industrial Engineer, currently living in Hai Phong, but getting itchy feet again and shall do some onsite investigation to determine if Vung Tao may be a good place to live, for a while.

Hai Phong is a nice place to live, currently renting a house from a local Vietnamese resident but one can also feel a little isolated based on the total lack of English in this city. Having lived in Asia and several countries over the past 20 years, I feel the need for a more permanent place to settle.

Being single, its relatively easy to move about and have lived in Hanoi, Hoi An & Da Lat but seriously hoping that my next stop will bring closure to my never ending desire to see if the grass is greener..somewhere else..

Cheers
Reidar

Wait, Viking, did you read what you just wrote?  :unsure  Ha! allow me to emphasize....

vikingjeger wrote:

I am Reidar, Canadian and retired Industrial Engineer, currently living in Hai Phong, but getting itchy feet again and shall do some onsite investigation to determine if Vung Tao may be a good place to live, for a while.

Hai Phong is a nice place to live, currently renting a house from a local Vietnamese resident but one can also feel a little isolated based on the total lack of English in this city. Having lived in Asia and several countries over the past 20 years, I feel the need for a more permanent place to settle.

Being single, its relatively easy to move about and have lived in Hanoi, Hoi An & Da Lat but seriously hoping that my next stop will bring closure to my never ending desire to see if the grass is greener..somewhere else..

Your low expectations betray your hopes!

Just a Tumblin' Tumbleweed (same same brown grass)  an' lyrics fer ya, pardner!
https://pixen.netlify.com/pix/tumble.jpg

Hi, I'm Jon from Darwin , Been here about 4 mnths Now, Enjoying it Foods Great, Beautiful Women are better than the food, Getting use to falling off my Scooter, Got that down pat now, Anyway, ! Single , living in Hcmc, That's it

Drink some more ..

Morning folks,

Not sure to call myself an expat. I grew up in Ho Chi Minh and moved to the States as a young adult for almost 15 years. Now have returned and still adjusting to the culture, traffic and the heat (yes, I have been spoiled by the PNW.)

That said, I find my home town still vibrant and busy with more people, business opportunities and not surprisingly, favorite destination for expats.

I am having a hard time though locating an apartment (by SGN) that looks almost exactly like the photos online.

I am hoping:
- to get settled in an place I call home soon
- probably to have a roommate (I don't see apartment sharing much here)
- to make some new expat friends

Thanks for reading
m-

Closed