New members of the Nepal forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Nepal forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Nepal if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hola! I am an xpat currently living in Mexico for 13 yrs. However, from my experience trekking 4 x in Nepal....I would like to retire there. My interest in this blog is to gather useful info from other xpats
already in Kathmandu or especially in Pokhara. My name is Denise Aughtman and I am a Doctor of Oriental Medicine - acupuncture and herbal homeopathy. Let me hear from anyone out there!!!!
Gratefully - D

Denise, Welcome. Sorry I missed your post. Retiring in Nepal is a bit difficult. On a tourist visa, you can only stay for 5 months. If you have a lot of money to invest you can get a business visa, but that's expensive and not necessarily what an older person needs.
My suggestion is to come for the winter. You could come in August and stay until the following March 31 and then come back in Nov. and stay until March the following year, which would be 5 months. But I've been told that if you go to the embassy in the US (and hopefully elsewhere) you can get a 6-month visa. I think if you could contact them outside of Nepal I've heard it's easier.
If you'd like a winter vacation instead of shoveling snow the Kathmandu Valley is really nice in the wintertime. You can get your teeth fixed really cheap and some other medical testing and alternative treatments and live for less than $1,000 a month-a lot less. The people are kind and society is gentle. It's really a safe place to live. I absolutely love it here. PM me if you have questions or post them here. I'm always happy to help. I have a Youtube channel to help tourists with tips. Just #WhatAboutNepal

Hi Denise. Like MadagascarNow quite rightly points out, retiring in Nepal is difficult, not made easy by any means. Also, if you had any intention to practice acupuncture/herbal homeopathy to earn some extra money, it's strictly against the rules and regulations to do that here on a tourist visa, so you can forget that. Nepal is pleasant enough in August, September, October, and early November, but for my money, come December, and during January and February, it's just too darn cold for me (and notably most other post-retirement people who've reached the seventies ++)  As it's been pointed out here in these columns, central heating is non existent in Nepal!
P.S. I love Mexico!!

Hello,

I am considering a move to Pokhara, I am leaving Pondicherry, IN.  I have three dogs that I will fly to Nepal.  I plan to visit in a couple of weeks to try and gain a sense of Pokhara, housing, etc.  I would love to connect with anyone there and some guidance on housing, etc.

Thanks!
Sophia