New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi Everyone

I am a single parent looking to begin my new life in DR. I have worked on my career for 10 years and burnt out, so I've decided to sell everything a complete my PhD thesis in the Caribbean with my 4 year old son.

I was a Tesol teacher in my 20s and ironically looking for a part time teaching job, a small culturally diverse primary school for my boy and a simple home near the sea. I'm downsizing my life so I can finish my thesis. Then after, in a year I hope to lay some roots here.
I am looking for an area in DR that is safe, culturally mixed, English school to work in affordable rent and a beautiful beach!

Too much to ask ? ... Please help us reach our dreams. I plan on leave to DR before July 2019

ThQ for reading xxxx

Welcome to the forums!!!  I see you started a thread and I will go there to resond!!!

Hello every body,

Im not expat, Im Dominican but Im here for invitation of a friend,   hope my advises can help you.

Have a great day.

Welcome  Riva31,  you offer a different perspective and we will welcome your input.

Sorry did I miss a thread or advice. Still new to the site x

Natasha welcome to the site.  My best advice is to start reading the various threads and ask questions honey!!!

Hi There!

I am from Ontario Canada.  Hubby and I own a small cottage rental property which we have put up for sale.  We are looking to retire somewhere Caribbean.  We have traveled extensively for both work and pleasure, and consider ourselves "grass roots" travelers. Our first vacation together when we met was to the DR - loved it, hubby refused to leave, LOL!  We stayed at an all-inclusive - didn't love it!  Since then we have always done our own planning, staying at B&B's, Inn's and apartments.  We prefer to stay away from the tourist area's, choosing small villages and towns.  In 2010 we operated a B&B in Mexico for 6 months while the owners took some time away.  Loved the experience!

We have looked at a few different options for retirement but keep finding our way back to the DR option.  The 30 day limitation has honestly been what took us away from considering in the past.  We believe we should spend considerable time in various localities before making a decision and applying for a Resident Visa. Being Canadian, we are able to stay in many other countries for 6 months before having to leave.

Having said that, we still must wait for our business to sell before making a decision.  So I will continue to collect information on DR and we will definitely come for a 30 day visit and do some exploring.

I also want to say Thank You to everyone who contributes to this Forum.  There is a wealth of information and I have found myself lost in reading the threads instead of going to bed at night!  LOL!

Welcome to the forums!   Glad we can be of help!

Hello to all,

I joined the forum 3 weeks ago. I am from Victoria, B.C. and I sell real estate down here in Casa de Campo. The forum has been very helpful to me. Glad I found it.

As for the 30 day issue.

You can get residency w/o giving up your Cdn status... like another passport

That would be a solution for you... I did it

Hi WillieWeb,

Thanks for your suggestion.  Yes, that is an option we have considered.  It just seems like an incredible expense and time consuming.   I understand the cost is around $2,000 US (couple) which is $2,700 Cdn.  I wish DR made it easier for visitors to tour the country.

Hey, Chris here... the wife and I are considering expatriating (with a focus on the DR) and I am interested and learning details about the expat community(s) in and around Sosua. I say Sosua as more of a jumping off point for now, but definitely the northern coastal area. I have attempted using basic internet research; however, there is definitely a human element to the questions I have and good ol' google doesn't cut it. I look forward to learning more and hope all is well down south.

Welcome maybe......LOL  Sheeeesh I am funny today.

Honey there is a ton of info on the various threads. Start reading and asking questions in the various threads.  That keeps everything together and mostly on topic.....

And all is good down south, way better then up north!  You all are dealing with the white stuff falling out of the sky.......