New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourselves here - 2019

Hi all,

Newbie on the Bulgaria forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Bulgaria if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello,
I'm Eve, I have a villa in yunets, Dolni Chiflik,  I'm currently in Brighton, UK but looking to spend more time in Bulgaria.

If anyone wants to meet up in Varna area please drop me a message.

Eve

Hello, eve my names david i am from Nottingham originally but have been living in yorkshire the last 20 years.i am in varna today i have just bought a house in a little village called Geshanovo in the district of Dobrich district today.i intend moving out next year but in the meantime i will be travelling back and fourth to renovate the house,i have grape vines and walnut trees on my land and am surrounded by rolling hills and trees and lavender fields,and 40 km to the nearest beach.i  found the locals really friendly in the country side, but not in sofia or varna both cities are real shit holes (forgive the french) full of gypsies who rob and steal and throw there children into moving cars to make a claim.Bulgaria is a beautiful country if you stay away from the cities.i will be heading home to blighty tomorrow afternoon good luck with your new venture.regards david

Hi dear,I moved to Bulgaria 4 months ago and now I am a student in Sofia.I have 2 big problems for opening a bank account and also finding English kindergarten for my son.

myronkeir :

Hello, eve my names david i am from Nottingham originally but have been living in yorkshire the last 20 years.i am in varna today i have just bought a house in a little village called Geshanovo in the district of Dobrich district today.i intend moving out next year but in the meantime i will be travelling back and fourth to renovate the house,i have grape vines and walnut trees on my land and am surrounded by rolling hills and trees and lavender fields,and 40 km to the nearest beach.i  found the locals really friendly in the country side, but not in sofia or varna both cities are real shit holes (forgive the french) full of gypsies who rob and steal and throw there children into moving cars to make a claim.Bulgaria is a beautiful country if you stay away from the cities.i will be heading home to blighty tomorrow afternoon good luck with your new venture.regards david

Hi David!!

Thank you for writing & nice to meet you. Your house sounds lovely, let me know how the renovations go, I'm in need of a landscaper myself as the garden in unusable at present.

Will you be back in the spring summer?
Eve :)

Edna_khabaz :

Hi dear,I moved to Bulgaria 4 months ago and now I am a student in Sofia.I have 2 big problems for opening a bank account and also finding English kindergarten for my son.

Hello,

I'm afraid I can't help you with Sofia, I gather there are more international schooling facilities than in Varna.

Best wishes,

Eve

Hello everyone, i am Dana from Kuwait, i used to live in USA, Atlanta in my childhood.
I have been planning to move to Bulgaria for years, i have collected some infos but still need more especially accommodations and costs of living i am also planning to apply at one of the universities In Sofia.

hope i will find more informations here that could help for my journey.

Hi all.

New to this.

I'm Susan and me n my hubby are planning to move out to Bulgaria this year. We've bought a house in Polyana village near Silistra.
Needs a lot of tlc, so looking for builders if anyone can recommend.
Also need some advice regarding removal options from near Manchester uk.

Really can't wait to just get everything in motion now and leave the rat race behind.

Anyone living in that area please get In touch.

Thanks all.

Hello,  my name is Dilys.  I am originally from the U.K., but also spend time with my daughter in Texas.  I bought a house in Koprivets, about an hour from Veliko Tărnovo, and am currently looking for a contractor ( who is reasonable price- wise, and is reliable.). Perhaps, someone has a good recommendation for me, and I who I can contact to meet up with.

Thanks in advance,  Dilys

PS. I will also need a good landscaper down the road as well.  All referrals are very welcome.

I have been in Bg for 6 years now for at least 4 months a year.   I have learned a lot and am investing however it is caveat emptor!

I refuse to conduct a contract unless it is a direct contract with the buyer or seller.   It took me a long time to find an honest attorney. 

Having said that, I have title 16 on a compound that I built and on other investments.   Yes, I retained consultants and paid them handsomely but have the necessary documentation.

We should have a mutual contact forum for real estate review.   As for purchasing any product in Bg.  Just remember "Everything is Fake--every piece of clothing shrinks 5 sizes, but the food and the people are worth it. 

I have been in kisoks, where I give 50 lev for a 20 lev. purchase and they refuse to give change and then dissapear.   Being forewarned is being fore armed.   Never make change.  Never change money at a change booth.  Bring your cash.

Congratulations,    My wife and I first purchased a flat then built a beautiful compound overlooking St. Vlas, Sunny Beach and Nessaber.   The challenge is to find an honest provider.   I did find one after several missteps.   Learn to pay for every invoice and discuss prices directly with the supplier.  Hire an independent engineer to inspect everything prior to paying.   There is no recourse once you let  go of your money. 

John

Hi Ex Pats, just joined the forum and would like to connect with anyone from the UK living in BG.

Does anyone know how long a UK national can stay in BG please?... and do we need a visa if we wish to stay for a long period of time?

You are a EU citizen, no visa required, just register where you live and you are all set, in all honesty you don't really need to do that either (depending on what you are planning on doing here).

Thanks for the reply, I'm a EU national but looking to live here long term, maybe indefinetly. just wondering what the process might be please?

Wow!   I had not heard that about Varna.  It has not been my experience in St. Vlas near Sunny Beach however I have seen plenty of misrepresentations and scams.   At Koleskivo, in between Sunny Beach and Burgas, there is a fair every Thursday.   I have given 20 leva for a 4 leva purchase and they refused to give me change.   So beware, when buying on the street have exact change ready. 

On the other hand in Sunny Beach, I had a bag of money I had collected from the ATM's for several days to purchase a used car.  The bag broke and money scattered to the wind.  I loart not a cent.   Many people helped me round up the money and all were returned.   So, is it the Gypsies?   Yes in my mind!   I have had wonderful relationships with native Bulgarians.

Just go!   That is what we did and spent several months touring the country.   We now have a home in St. Vlas and are looking for a winter home in Sofia.   My advice to you is rent, rent rent! for at least a year till you learn the customs and the policies.   Beware of the Real Estate Agents and the Attorneys they use. 

I was taken on my first flat and am now in over my head.   However, we love the location and are living the good life at a very comfortable level.